Monday, 4 May 2015

May - Gardening Mania

Happy Monday! I have been busy in the garden with very little stitching to show but here's my next start on my fourth Prairie Schooler Santa.
As you can see it's Book # 47. It is the first PS leaflet that I bought, way back when. I have stitched the Santa in red balloon ages ago and wanted to stitch some more of these designs. You can't go wrong with any of the PS Santas I think!

In the garden, some of my roses have started to bloom. 

Then there's this sweet columbine. I planted it last year and was very happy that it returned this year!
Bougainvilleas do not grow here naturally. I decided to try a pot of it this year and bring it in to overwinter and see what happens. Our deck is hot so I think it should be happy this season. 
I've been busy on my sewing blog, unofficially participating in something called Me-Made May 2015. You can read it on my May 1 post. Basically it's a fun challenge you set for yourself. Perhaps you want to wear one handmade 4 times a week, or every day, or whatever. It's just fun. I've decided to try and post every day and see what happens.   It's been fun seeing all the hand-made clothing (sewn or knitted) out there!
Now, back to a bit of stitching. There was a question from Linda in VA (no reply) about whether the Bird Song chart  in my previous post allows for DMC equivalents. Nope. It only shows Gentle Arts threads. The linen called for is 40 count Vintage Examplar. I am using 36 count.  Perhaps you can email the designer to ask about DMC equivalents?

I will close by joining a bit of gardening and stitching. The pink flower is my tree peony bloom, and the sampler in the back is Manor at Peacock Hill by With thy Needle & Thread. 
So, I will be happily busy this month doing lots of gardening and sewing I think!

Oh, one last thing before I forget - I've finally found the answer to my problem with commenting on some of your blogs because of the Embedded option.  The answer -  "Third Party Cookies" on your browser must be turned on before Blogger recognizes you! Sounds so simple when you find the answer!

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great week my friends!

20 comments:

Vickie said...

Your garden is beautiful. I have been trying to be out there also. I miss it, but must limit my time due to pain.

Mdm Samm said...

everything is sooooooooooo beautiful..love your posie blouse..very pretty...x

KimM said...

What gorgeous flowers!!!! Spring is in the air.
xxx

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your roses are so early Melissa, we often don't see any over here till July. Peony roses are so "showy" - I just love them. Great top - sewing your own clothes is such a great thing to be able to do.

Barb said...

I love seeing all your beautiful flowers. I only stitch at night. I agree, this time of year the garden dominates!

Von said...

What a wonderful, newsy post, Melissa! Of course, I love seeing your garden, and your stitching, but your sewing is so fun!

Good luck with your bougainvillea! They're a show stopper plant! :D

P.J. said...

Your flowers are very lovely. How can you not smile when you see flowers in bloom. Beautiful stitches as well.

Margaret said...

Love your flowers -- so many beauties! This is the time of year to be out in the garden, so not much stitching makes sense to me.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I've been looking for that Prairie Schooler leaflet but the price on e-bay is a bit too high for my liking - it's a really good one and I know you're enjoying stitching from it. I love the blouse you've shown and am thinking I need to get back to some sewing for myself when we get home from this mission trip. I love the fabric you chose - so spring like. Beautiful pictures! blessings, marlene

Mary said...

Melissa, such a glorious post! I love it that you know so much about all your blooms.

Can't wait to see an entire shelf of Santa's. Keep them coming!

Robin said...

Nice start on your next PS Santa! What a fun leaflet! I need to check to see if I have that one. Your blooms are lovely, Melissa!

Robin in Virginia

Brigitte said...

A great Santa that you chose here. Book #47 has such beautiful Santas but you don't see them very often on the blogs. Maybe it's because one of the older books and not everyone has it. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this Santa.

I guess you are doing more sewing than stitching at the moment. Whatever I see on your sewing blog is so neat. And maybe you are doing more gardening than sewing and stitching right now. It's such a delight to have a beautiful garden with all these colourful flowers, isn't it?

Hilda said...

Hi Melissa,
these older TPS charts are all so pretty. And Book '47 looks so great. I never have seen these Santas before, but I like them!
I am happy to see your new Santa soon here.
You must live in a much warmer climatic zone than I do - here the roses hardly have buds yet.
Wonderful flowers! I love colombines!

Hugs
Hilda

Linda said...

Ahhh dang it - I was hoping it would have DMC equivalents! I've got tons of the sampler threads here - so can match them up myself - something I do enjoy doing!

Linda in VA

Linda said...

I have a problem sometimes commenting on blogs that take Typepad. And a lot of times the ones that take Wordpress. I've had to email the blog owners. And most of the time, they've found me in their SPAM and fixed it on their end and then I can post comments!

Linda in VA

Andrea said...

Wonderful stitching. It is nice to revisit some of the older booklets. Beautiful blooms too. Love your blouse.

Carol said...

It's always such fun to see what PS Santa you're working on for the month, Melissa. This one will be great--as you say, every PS Santa is a wonderful design and a treat to stitch.

Lovely pink, red, and yellow blooms. My sister was just in Vancouver last week and loved it--sure wish I could have gone with her!

Oh, what a challenge for your sewing blog--off to check it out now (I am way, way behind for the month of May, aren't I?!)...

pen2needle said...

What a pretty top! And loved your garden updates too :) We're fortunate enough to have bougainvillea aplently in the UAE. So much so that it has lost its novelty. Thank you for making me notice them with fresh eyes :)

Marie said...

Those flowers are gorgeous!!! You are such a talented gardener (and photographer).

Love the fabric used in the lovely top that you stitched.

I look forward to seeing another of your PS Santa projects completed.

Yuko said...

Melissa,
Hi how have you been?
Isn't this Nani Iro cloth?
Do you like Nani Iro? It's from Japan and I can buy them easily so if you want me to buy some that you can't buy there in Canada, please feel free to ask me!

Yuko