Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Blooms everywhere

Hello! Thank you for your kind words on my last post. It was especially interesting to hear from Julie who was married on the exact same date 30 years ago but half a world away, and Michele who was married on the same day but 41 years ago! I hope you both had a nice Anniversary too!

The roses have finally started to really bloom and some of them offer such wonderful fragrances when you walk by. The first one is Christopher Marlowe which we only planted late last year. It is gorgeous and such an unusual colour, like a salmon pink but when it fully opens there is a yellow center. So cool!  This sits on one side of our entrance.
On the other side is the Golden Celebration rose. It is a wonderfully robust, easy to grow rose and we get tons of blooms each year. 
Here is the nameless old rose that came with our house. It has wonderful colour but no fragrance. Look closely at the right side of the photo. The bushtit nest is still there. Beth, thanks for identifying this for us! The parents have been busy flitting around our garden!
Here is our striped azalea which, interestingly enough, decide to have some non-stripey blooms this year. 
Look at these purple clematis. The blooms look like they are each trying to elbow the other to the front of the show! 
And, here's some stitching. This looks so muted after all the flower photos. This is part of the Forget Me Not design from With Thy Needle and Thread. I just stitched part of the design as I wanted to finish it as a pin pillow. 
Here's Dutch Strawberries by The Goode Huswife. Love her designs. I wish she would design again! 
On Saturday I peeked into a charity shop and just when I thought there was nothing for me, I saw this on the wall on the way out. Initially all I saw was some lovely blue green colour. I stepped closer and just fell in love with this painting. It was so unusual and the colours are stunning. The photo does not do it justice.

 My DH calls it "Venice of the East".  Lucky me I got to bring it home with me. (It was a bargin too!)
Well, that's it, folks. Julius says "Spring is so pretty here. I just wish I could play with those birds!"
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!

23 comments:

Carolyn said...

OMGoodness, your roses and azaleas are GORGEOUS!! I wish I had a green thumb. What a beautiful sight to see. :) I think we like the same things to stitch. LOL I just last night finished stitching "Forget Me Not", and of course, you saw my "Dutch Strawberry" that Faye finished for me. Great minds!! :)

Margaret said...

Ah, your stitching is wonderful! Love those finishes! Love your garden! Love that painting too -- great find! Julius is so cute -- too bad he eats flowers. :D

Barb said...

Lots of lovely finishes.the garden flowers are just beautiful! Our roses are just beginning to bloom.

Gillie said...

Oh my, so much further forward with roses! Lovely stitching! Especially the Good Huswif one.

Penny said...

Your roses are gorgeous! I especially like the one you say is robust and easy to grow - just my kind of rose. :) The Forget Me Not stitch is so pretty - love the blues! Dutch Strawberries is another pretty one! What a lovely painting! I never seem to have any luck finding neat things. Julius's little orange striped head. :) And I'm sorry I missed your anniversary - so even though it is late - Happy Anniversary!

Von said...

Oh, hurray, Melissa! Your roses are finally blooming! They're so beautiful, they make my heart sing. :)

Beth said...

Melissa ny Cat Crew sends greetings to Julius! Your garden is full of color and scent too with all the roses. I located the nest. I be that has been fun to watch. Dutch Strawberries is charming.

Mary said...

The roses are stunning! I have a soft spot for the old namelss red ones - they're like the granny for all the other beauties.

Beautiful stitching too!

Vickie said...

Such a pretty post today. :)

KimM said...

Beautiful flowers and beautiful stitching. A grey combination ;)
hugs
xxx

Natasha said...

Your roses are beautiful. My MIL's house when she bought it came with a garden FULL of wonderful roses. I use to love walking through her back yard taking in the wonderful scents.

Lovely stitching. Wishing you a happy wednesday!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Roses are such beautiful flowers Melissa, you have some lovely ones in your garden. Julius is such a rich colour - his coat is great. The clematis is very prolific indeed.

Andrea said...

Lovely flowers. Beautiful stitching.

Maggee said...

What beautiful roses you are growing! And the striped azales is something I've not seen before... funny how part of it changed color! And no stripes! Looking forward to seeing Forget Me Not as a pin cushion. Great post!

Merry Wind Farm said...

Hi, Melissa,
Beautiful garden photos. Isn't Christopher Marlowe a David Austin? I have a couple of own root David Austins, but they sure don't grow like yours!
Melinda

Pam in IL said...

Lovely stitching and beautiful flowers! We lost alot of our plants and bushes with our harsh winter. How unusual that your azalea has some different colored blossoms. My azalea only has a few buds.

Annette-California said...

I am so happy for you that you have BLOOMS!!! Your roses are Gorgeous!!!
And the Clematis plants are beautiful. WOW love what your stitching now! SO SO PRETTY!
love Annette

Giovanna said...

Great stitching, and lovely flowers!

Karoline said...

Your roses are looking gorgeous, mine aren't quite out yet. Hopefully in the next few days.

Your finishes are lovely, congratulations

Sharon said...

Beautiful finishes and flowers!

Carol said...

Sorry I'm so late with my comments--was up at my parents last week for five days and I'm just not on the computer much up there. Your garden is fabulous--what a joy it must be to walk out into your yard each morning and see what is beginning to bloom! I love clematis and need to go take a photo of ours as it has just gone crazy this year :)

Eek!! I LOVE that tiny part of Forget Me Not--such darling people and oh, those colors! And what a great painting--so glad you found it before anyone else grabbed it :)

Hugs to those sweet kitties!

Brigitte said...

Like Carol I'm also late with my comments, I'm behind with nearly everything but didn't want to leave your posts without commenting. Particularly when you show so many wonderful pictures from your garden. It must be so delightful to stroll through your garden seeing all these colours and smelling all the flowers' fragrances.

Two great projects you were working on from two great designers that I love as well.

Timemimi 當代迷你倉 said...

租賃筲箕灣辦公室文件葵涌商務中心主機中文最平雲主機虛擬免費迷你新蒲崗儲物倉網站虛擬最平