Monday, 14 April 2014

A busy week

Good Monday morning to you! Thank you for all your kind words, good thoughts and prayers to my friend and her husband. They are much appreciated. 

Last week was a busy and fun one. First, a picture walk along a part of Granville Island. 






That was just a quick visit down to Granville Island specifically to go to the art supplies store. I started a new painting class last week so I was armed with a supply list! There wasn't much time to meander as I had the chauffeur (DH) with me!

Now onto some stitching. I received some lovely goodies from my friend Paula of Kelmscott Designs. They are wonderful but my favourite has got to be those cute scissors! Thank you, Paula! 
Here is some progress on Seven Sheep. The tree is done! 
Paula and I were chatting about a stitching "bucket list".  Let's say you have 20 good years left to do stitching and you could stitch one big thing a year. What would be your top 20 items?  I would love to see this on your blog. 

When Paula asked me the question, I actually spent some time hauling out and making that list. I know the list will change (and it has changed slightly since I shared it with Paula!). 
  1. Ann Hull
  2. Sarah Chapple
  3. Anne Hall
  4. Sarah Woodham
  5. Susan Rambo
  6. Jean Rattray
  7. A Yuletide Welcome
  8. 1837 Crown Sampler
  9. Jane Pattison
  10. Rachel Howells
  11. Mary Tillinghurst
  12. Christina Cathcart
  13. Needleworker's sampler
  14. Jane Tindall 
  15. Maria Lambooy
  16. Martha Rogers
  17. Christmas Garden
  18. Ann Grant
  19. John Foster
  20. Katrine Thomsen
What do you think? Let's see your list! 

I have lots of gardening photos but I will save those for next time. I will close by showing you our neighbours' magnolia starting to bloom, and the purple azaleas on our side. Spring is just my favourite season - Nature putting on a fashion show!
Thanks for stopping by! I hope this nice weather sticks around! More gardening today! Have a great week!

21 comments:

Laurie in Iowa said...

The Magnolia is beautiful. You have been busy. That's an impressive list of samplers you'd like to stitch.

Vickie said...

Oh goodness! What a list. I am afraid to make a list. ;)

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Your 7 Sheep is looking great! I enjoyed all your pics but that mermaid carving was my fav! Beautiful blooms and Spring is the best - fresh, full of hope and just so pretty! Enjoyed your list - I'll have to think on it a little bit but I have no doubt if you want to stitch it, I may very well want to, also!
Have a great week!

Annette-California said...

Beautiful progress on Seven Sheep sampler! Looking so pretty.
Loved seeing your photos and happy to hear you had a fun week.
I enjoyed reading your list too. So far I have lots of kitted projects ready to go that would be on my bucket list - but will make a list and post:)) too fun.
Beautiful gifts from Paula!
love Annette

valerie said...

I hope you're having fun in your painting class! Can't wait to see what you are working on. Looks like I nice little jaunt to Granville. Great progress on your Seven Sheep...you are on a roll! And that is a very impressive list of Samplers on your to do list!

Margaret said...

7 Sheep is looking great! Love the pics on the way to the art supply store too. I hope you show off what you do in your paint class. Lovely lovely flowers! I can't wait for our magnolia to start blooming! Ah, a bucket list. It's way too hard for me to say. Way too many I want to stitch. Love your list though!

Anne said...

Hello MElissa!! Did you enjoy this just gorgeous day today? We rode out to Fort Langley and lapped up the sun. I recognize that fisherman!! Granville island is a lot of fun to visit. Did you hop into the quilt shop there? Wonderful gifts from Paula! That pear needleminder is just darling!! Beautiful progress on Seven Sheep! The tree is great. Love the acorns and I think those squirrels are planning a heist on them!! Hmmm, your bucket list looks a lot like mine. I'll have to sit down and do this too on my next post. Sarah Chapple is actually kitted up and ready to go. If you want....we could try and SAL on a Saturday night or something just to get us going?!

Chris said...

Great update Melissa! Lovely progress and gifts from Paula.
Your list is great. I would really have to think about what my top twenty sampler list would be.
You have some great ones on your list.
I hope that you have a great week!

LaNelle said...

Wow, beautiful stitching coming along on Seven Sheep.
Your list is impressive certainly gave me something to ponder. Lovely gifts you received I like the needle minders so cheery

Carol said...

Thanks for the lovely tour of Granville Island, Melissa--love the wood carvings! And just look at those beautiful flowers!! After a perfectly divine weekend here, we are now having a snowstorm--yep, in mid-April! Crazy :)

I have no doubt that you'll finish all those samplers on your bucket list (and more!)... I really can't make a list like that since I don't stitch large pieces, but I will say I'd love to stitch every PS Santa that's ever been charted...

Danielle said...

I stitched John Foster--it is one of my very favorite samplers and I Loved stitching it. I have it hanging in my living room! :) Danielle/The Peacock's Feather

Joanie said...

Hey Melissa,

I posted my list on my blog, I could have added another 20 easily!

stitchersanon said...

Lovely progress: and no list from me: bucket lists are a bit too near the mark lol: but I am enjoying reading your list!

Evelyne said...

The 7 Sheep is looking great!Love to see the photos of the spring blossom!

Have a nice week.
Evelyne

Mary said...

Melissa, thaks for sharing such charming photos. You live in a beautiful city!

I love your notion of a stitching bucket list and have been mulling one over for myself. Looks like we do have a vew in common! I'll post mine soon.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's interesting that your choice of twenty consists of historical samplers - I sometimes wonder why we are so drawn to them. Magnolias are my out and out favourites.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Lovely visit to the island! Ah, your list! I had a hard time listing what I wanted to stitch this year, much less 20 years! Your list does have some divine designs. One thing is certain: it won't be all the beautiful charts in my stash!!

Karoline said...

Beautiful photos from your trip.

Seven sheep is looking gorgeous

Marie said...

You are such an ambitious stitcher whose work is always beautiful!

Brigitte said...

Such a nice walk along the island down to the art supply shop. i hope you are having fun in your painting class.

Great progress on your sampler, it's looking so beautiful. You must be glad that the tree is stitched, they can be so tricky with all the branches and twigs, just an invitation for the frogs, lol.

When I'll be back home I'll go through my charts and my wishlist and see what 20 designs might be on my list. Your list sounds terrific, I know most of the samplers but some I have to look up.

Maggee said...

Love the purple azaleas!! Gosh how pretty!! Great progress on your sampler--the tree is gorgeous! I am now thinking about a stitching Bucket List... maybe I will put it on my blog, but no doubt it will be changing here and there! Hugs!