Monday, 31 March 2014

Finally - last of the Smalls

Good morning! It's end of March and end of the first quarter of 2014! I am looking forward to some nicer weather in April to really get into some serious gardening!

So, finally, it's the last part of showing you the Smalls that I had finished. I think you must be sick of them! ;-) But this contains some of my favourite pieces. Here we go. 

We start with a sweet little red bird from Pin Pokes by Homespun Elegance. I am sure I will be stitching this one again!
This next one is a freebie from the Primitive Hare. Love the design! I tried doing the buttonhole stitch - didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped but I kept saying to myself "it's the prim look!"
Here it is with the backing fabric which I used for the little red bird design too. 
The next two finishes come from one design, "Key to my heart" by Pineberry Lane. I split the design into two to make smalls and I modified the design slightly to suit myself. I love Wendy's designs and want to stitch more of them this year!
Here's a peek at the background fabric. I wanted that large rose right smack dab in the middle of the back, and I got it.
You can see this design has benefited from the scissors in the Pin Pokes design. I was inspired by Wendy's design here. I love the linen I used - a remnant I picked up years ago called Americana. I hope I can find another piece somewhere online. It's a lovely blue-grey colour. 

I had so much fun with the smalls. I have since stitched a few more but I will wait till I have finished them to show you.

In the meantime I have just received my order of The Seven Sheep Sampler by The Scarlett House. I'm so glad I ordered this new release when I did instead of waiting till my birthday as it probably took a month. Now this will be my birthday stitch. It's a BIG one so it will take me many weeks, I'm sure. I am tweaking the floss a bit because I am using a piece of linen from my stash. I should have some photos on my next post. It's kind of crazy, I've gone from stitching smalls, to probably the biggest stitch (292 x 388) I've tackled yet!

Till next time...Happy Stitching! Thanks for stopping by!

31 comments:

Natasha said...

Lovely finished works! That new sampler is so pretty I think it screams you :) Have fun working on it, looking forward to seeing your progress on it.

Beth said...

I really like your funky Pineberry People Melissa. Great finishes all.

Gillie said...

Never get tired of your finishes! I like Pineberry Lane too, must look at them again! Good luck with the big 'un!

stitchersanon said...

Very pretty. Love them all xx

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Your finishing is very pretty. Sometimes on a large piece I'll work in a small here or there just to have a completion, but am usually a one at a time stitcher.

Laurie in Iowa said...

You've done a wonderful job finishing your smalls. So pretty! Looking forward to seeing the Seven Sheep sampler come to life.

Vickie said...

More wonderfulness! Great job(s)!

Margaret said...

So many pretty finishes! Beautiful work on them all, and I love each and every design too. Sigh. Lucky you having the Seven Sheep Sampler. My order seems to have gone by the wayside where I ordered it. Sigh.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Wow, that is a big design. I love all your smalls but especially the Homespun Elegance red bird. Your finish for this one is so bonnie. Have a good week.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

What beautiful finishes! I love each and every one and Pineberry Lane is definitely a favorite! Can't wait to see tour start on 7 Swans as well as your other small finishes! You never fail to inspire!

Annette-California said...

Love all your finishes! Some of the designs are new to me:) the way you finished them are Beautiful!!!
love Annette
ps I am going to have a look at your new birthday stitch chart.

Marilyn said...

All great projects.
Love the lace on the first pic.
Seven Sheep is a great design, can't wait to see your start on it.
Marilyn

Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher said...

Beautiful, beautiful all around!

LaNelle said...

Lovely smalls...beautiful finishes looking forward to your stitching of Seven Sheep what a great birthday gift to yourself enjoy!

Mii Stitch said...

How could we be sick of admiring your finishes??? They are all lovely!!! Well done, I love the little red bird :)

Carol said...

Sick of smalls? Never!! Ha ha :)

Each and every one looks great, Melissa--that lace you used in your edging of two of them is fabulous! Where did you find it? And that Americana linen is gorgeous, too. Oh, everything's gorgeous!!!

Hope your April is starting off well--we are going to be in the 60s today!! Hip hip hooray :)

Teresa said...

wow, I love your blog , your finishin, your work. Love love love.
Teresa

Kay said...

Your finishes are so cute! I, too, have used the "prim" word to describe my less than successful finishing attempts!

blue star stitcher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
blue star stitcher said...

Very nice finishes, I love the big rose for the back of the pinkeep, something unexpected.

Andrea said...

Never get tired of seeing smalls finished. Beautiful finishes. looking forward to seeing your BIG project.

Mary said...

Such wonderful little projects! I'm always in awe of the creative finishing I see.

valerie said...

All lovely finishes Melissa! I can't wait to see your start on the Seven Sheep Sampler!

Introverted Art said...

love never fails indeed

Melody said...

What wonderful finishes! Congratulations!!

KimM said...

Wow! Just found your blog and became a follower. These finishes are amazing. I look forward to your stitching adventures.
KimM
wisdomwithneedleandthread.blogspot.com

Karoline said...

Your finishes are gorgeous, congratulations
Enjoy stitching the Seven Sheep, it's a lovely sampler

Giovanna said...

Congrats on all the lovely finishes!

Anne said...

Ooh Melissa! Your smalls are fantastic!!I love the little added lace details and pretty fabric choices you made! The whip stitch on the love never fails is a finish I've wanted to try...very prim :D

Hugs!

Brigitte said...

And again I'm in awe of all these lovely smalls that you finished so beautifully. The backing fabrics and laces are just perfect for them. Great choices of smalls.

Maggee said...

Your smalls inspired all of us! I enjoyed each post! Americana Blend is an R&R fabric... lots of shops carry their fabric. IF not around you, let me know. They are personal friend of mine (we all live in the same city!). Hugs!