Sunday, 19 January 2014

Feeling Better!

After a week of recuperating, I am feeling better. Thank you for all your kind words too. While I was entrenched on the couch, nice things did come my way!  

At the turn of the year I've made a new friend online, Paula from Kelmscott Designs. It turned out that Paula used to live in Victoria so we had a great time chatting about places we knew. She sent me some goodies in the mail. I was so bowled over by the lovely things I found - red handled scissors, an "M" needle minder, mother of pearl thread keep and short ruler (very handy!). I love everything she sent - thank you Paula! 
Next, I was surprised by this lovely painting of Julius that came in the mail!  A couple of weeks ago I had passed on an old but still beautiful evening dress to a friend of my son's. She in turn decided to thank me by creating this lovely painting. That was so sweet of her and I love it! 
Not all good things came to me by mail. I ventured out on Saturday and stopped off at my favourite charity shop. I found these small needlepoint cushions. They are beautifully finished, if a little worn, but I think they are adorable. They just need a little cleaning. Although the photos make the background of the cushion look blue, they are in fact a rich green. The dog is my favourite of the two!
You may wonder why I am posting on a Sunday night. That is because I am recording the latest episodes of Downton Abbey, and the Season 3, first episode of Sherlock (finally, he's back!) and will be watching them tomorrow morning most likely! While I was sick I vegged out in front of the TV and got all caught up on both shows. 

BTW, for Downton fans did last week's episode (#2) make you feel sick afterwards? It did for me but I had a heads-up about the episode so at least it wasn't so much of a nasty shock. Still it made me mad. What about you?  (ahem, THIS is why I don't like to watch soap operas but here I am tangled in Downton's elegant web!)

I have no stitching to show. I did not stitch while sick so I have lots more catching up to do. Now, it's bedtime! Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week!

26 comments:

samplerlover said...

What a lovely lot of things to receive in the mail. Love them all. Love your cushions as well.

Beth said...

Glad you are feeling better. Great gifts. Love the bunny cushion, what a wonderful find.

Brigitte said...

Such lovely gifts from Paula and from your son's friend. They might have helped you to feel a bit better.
I'm glad to read that you are much better now. Not being able to stitch says all about how you were feeling while you were ill.
Your finds at the charity store are gorgeous.

Lois said...

What lovely gifts from Paula and such a sweet picture of Julius! Once again I am behind on blog reading (so much for my intention to stay on top of that this year!!!!) but I have now read all your recent posts. 2013 was very much a year of change for you Melissa. I hope that 2014 is one that brings you lots of joy and happiness!!

P.J. said...

What lovely gifts. I really like your stitched piece behind your kelmscot goodies. What a find; the pillows are super cute. The bunny is perfect for spring. Glad you are feeling better.

Loraine said...

Glad you are feeling better. There sure is an awful lot of sickness going around lately!
I love all of your Kelmscot treasures. I think I need one of those thread holders! How sweet of Paula to send them to you.
Your pillows are wonderful. A perfect find.
I'm watching Downton today. Thanks for the warning on #2. I really love the show, and I hope it doesn't turn too soap opera like.
As for Sherlock...isn't it the most awesome show? My husband and I are loving it! We are on Season 2 episode 2. I don't want it to end! My husband even started reading the original books, and was surprised that it was so similar to the show. They have done a great job in rewriting it.
Take Care!

marly said...

Glad you're feeling better. I love that sampler, just beautiful. Lots of goodies for you and what a find at the shop!

Karen said...

Episode 2 of Downton was one of those that leaves me reminding myself that it's only a TV show. Disturbing, but I think very carefully done by the producers.

Keeper of the Crowes said...

So happy that you are feeling better. I love all your treasures! Who could give up such beautiful pillows. Glad they went to a good home.

Kevin said...

Good to hear you are feeling better! Your Peacock piece is beautiful (I can't think of the correct title, but you know which one I mean.)
Definitely was upset and sickened by the events on last week's episode 2 of Downton. I sure hope that there is some sort of retribution coming up. (I also taped last night's and will watch it shortly.)
Have a good day, enjoy Downton and Sherlock, and happy stitching!

Jackie said...

Delightful and thoughtful surprises!

Downton Abbey last week made me feel sick too. Unfortunately, stuff like that is still happening today. I missed last nights episode so I'll have to catch up.

Maggee said...

Oh no!! I forgot to record Downton Abbey! I HAD to watch the game... which also ended badly. I hope they don't drag Anna's story out like they did with Bates--it was over a season till his fate changed (not giving anything away... jic!) Cause I am hooked too! I like those pillows too! And your gifts are terrific--love surprises! Hugs!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely gifts Melissa and glad to hear you're feeling better. The needlepoint cushions are both appealing - I would probably choose the hare as my favourite. I'm not a fan of Downton or of Sherlock, so I can't answer your question about the episode:-)

Chris said...

Lovely new treasures! So glad that you are feeling better!

Margaret said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! Love all the gifts and the pretty pillow finds! Fantastic!

Barb said...

Glad to hear you feel better. Great find in the pillows and lovely gifts.

Andrea said...

Glad you are feeling so much better. Beautiful gifts to receive. A great find in the pillows, they are lovely.

Suzanne said...

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. What a lovely gift you received from Paula, those red scissors are very snazzy. The pillows are a great find, what a lot of work must have gone into them.

I am very intrigued by the new Downton Abbey series now, we don't see the first episode until February some time.

Carol said...

So good to read you're feeling better, Melissa :) I haven't seen that second episode yet, but at least you've somewhat prepared me...

What gorgeous goodies from Paula. Is Victoria near you? We are thinking of going there for a day when we visit Seattle and Portland in the fall. You'll have to give me some "must see" pointers :)

Love those pillows you found. Of course, I would prefer them in a blue background--ha ha!! I'm sure the kitties will love cuddling up against them...

Stay healthy now!!

Terra said...

Those gifts are so ideal for you, and I like the painting and the pillows too. My dh and I are about 5 episodes behind on Downton Abbey and I guess something awful happens, but don't tell me!

valerie said...

So glad you are feeling better Melissa! It looks like you got some great gifts and finds from the thrift shop. I love it when you find treasures that way. The dog pillow is the cutest. I read a spoiler about episode #2 but I was still so upset and angry at how it all happened. I really need to check out Sherlock.

Catherine said...

Glad you are feeling better. Great goodies too ~ the gifts from Paula and your pillow finds...
I am still shocked about the Downton episode!

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Nice to read that you're feeling better! Goodies - that's nice when you're not feeling so great. Great find in the pillows - next best to presents :-)

Karoline said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better, lovely gifts and those pillows where a great find

Marie said...

And now here I sit with a nasty cold.

Such a wonderful surprise from Paula.

Emily is quite the artist who obviously appreciated your sweet gesture.

Love you needlepoint find!

Evelyne said...

Hi I'm Evelyne your new follower.
I visited your site many times, because I love you stitching.
So I decided to follow you.
I'm glad you feeling better.

Evelyne
http://eefsneedle.blogspot.com