Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Santa's Coming!

Down the chimney he will go. Have you been good girls and boys? What's on your wishlist?  Do tell!

I don't have much on my list but this is something new (to me) this year -  I would love to have the Millennium stitching frame. Since Nicola showed this on the Nicola's Scarlet Letter Year blog, it has become a very popular frame as I've seen it on many of your blogs!  One can dream...

Meanwhile, here comes the Santa's sampler by Prairie Schooler (book no 73). 



I stitched this on 30 count WDW Parchment linen using DMC floss plus I added a few floss out of my stash just to "spice it up"! The flowers, for example, are stitched with CC Wild Berries.  I so love this sampler!

Now I want to share with you a recent charity shop find - a teacup and saucer called "Spode's Tower". I just love the colours... 
But most of all, I love the design on the inside of the teacup! That floral band is so pretty! Yes, I only got one. Now I want to find something similar, but a different pattern, in blue! 
I've been showing quite a few Daisy photos so here is equal time for Julius. I saw him this morning with his tail twitching madly as he watched the world outside. Must be the birds. 

We were a bit worried about him a week ago as he was throwing up his food for a couple of days but fortunately, it has passed and he is as much a crazy cat as ever. He likes to play these games of 'tag', whether with Daisy or an imaginary friend! Sometimes it sounds like a stampede here - it's very funny.

Lastly, I want to thank you (again) for all your kind words from last week. It means a lot to me. This has not been a kind year and I don't mean that as self-pity but that it hasn't been kind to a lot of people. I found out another friend (my GF's husband) has cancer and it's inoperable. I found out another couple of friends (we've lost touch) from years ago are both ill. Yikes. It just makes me very introspective about a lot of things in my life. 

Anyway, enough of that. It's time for me to start baking Christmas cookies and it will start this afternoon. As I am not working, my efforts should be much better than previous years! Let's all hope so! 

Thanks for stopping by. Be careful out there when you're shopping - I've seen tempers frayed already on the streets! 

Have a great week! 

22 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh what great stitching! And a lovely find too.

Margaret said...

Love your Santa piece! PS is so great. That Spode teacup and saucer make me drool. Gorgeous! How heartbreaking about your friends and friend's husband. My gosh. I don't blame you for stepping back and feeling overwhelmed by it all. What color are Julius's eyes? He's a pretty boy! Now don't all cats play tag with invisible foes? lol!

marly said...

Very nice Schooler. And kitty! The Spode is wonderful with the rim design and delicate floral handle. Lucky find.

Wilma said...

Cute Santa embroiderie!
I am glad Julius is feeling beter.
goodluck with the cookies.

Annette-California said...

Oh Mellisa I love your PS Santa. Love the wild berries floss you used for the flowers they look great. Beautiful new tea cup and saucer - good job finding them. Very Sorry to hear your friends are ill. Thank goodness you got in touch with them to let them know you were thinking of them. I'm sure that made them smile. Good luck on baking your cookies. Preparing for Christmas has begun. love Annette

Chris said...

Lovely PS finish! Your color changes worked really well. Great thrift shop find too.
Glad to hear that Julius is ok.
I hope that the house smells wonderful with the small of Christmas cookies.
Hugs

Jonette said...

Your Santa, Spode and cat are all beautiful. I splurged this year and got the Millenium frame and it is wonderful. Makes stitching so much easier. Happy baking and stitching!

Jonette said...

Your Santa, Spode and cat are all beautiful. I splurged this year and got the Millenium frame and it is wonderful. Makes stitching so much easier. Happy baking and stitching!

Catherine said...

Such a great PS piece ~ love it! What a great find ~ isn't is fun to discover such pieces? Yes, I agree 2013 has definitely been a tough year for many ~ it's those times that really make me count and enjoy my blessings even more. Hugs....

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the lovely Santa!

Loraine said...

What a great finish! I don't believe I've ever seen this pattern before. It's wonderful, thanks for sharing.
I am feeling the same way you are about 2013...it was one of the hardest I have ever had. I finally feel like I'm coming out of the black hole, but for a while there, it was pretty rough. Good luck to you. I hope 2014 is a better year for both of us. :)

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I always love to visit with you and see your beautiful stitching. This PS santa sampler is no let down there...gorgeous!
I am sad to know that 2013 has not been kind. I am hopeful that 2014 has much better things in store for you! Much love and Merry Christmas!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

That's a particularly pretty piece of Spode Melissa. Julius has the most beautiful green eyes and lovely markings on his coat. Our Poppy is funny when she watches the birds in the garden, recently she fell off the window sill when a squirrel appeared. PS designs never fail to look good, I like the "spiced up" choices you have made.

Laura said...

Hi Melissa,

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the hardships your friends are facing. It is so difficult to go through these things. Also, I am so glad your kitty is doing okay!

Now, picture this, last night, me, in bed, looking at your blog on my ipad.....seeing the PS Santa Sampler.....screaming in delight....thinking to myself I must stitch this STAT!!!! I emailed my stitching buddies....who has this old PS chart???? Then I went downstairs to my PS stash and lo and behold!!! I have it!!!!! I am so kitting this up the first chance I get. I have succeeded in getting all my stitching friends hepped up about this too. Thanks so much for posting your amazingly beautiful pictures of it!!!!!!!! Hope you have a good rest of the week.

Carol said...

You know me, Melissa--I love those older Prairie Schooler samplers and this one is just wonderful! I don't think I've ever seen it stitched up before and I love your little color changes. You made it your own :)

Such gorgeous china you found--really lovely color. And I wish you luck in your quest for a blue set!!

The kitties sound quite entertaining with their games of tag--I sure miss having a cat around the house...

Have fun cooking, baking, shopping, and wrapping--busy month, isn't it?!

Andrea said...

Love the PS Santa piece. Your new cup and saucer are a winner, a change from the regular blue and white.
Happy baking!

Wendy S. said...

Beautiful stitching, beautiful tea cup, beautiful kitty! I am overwhelmed with the beauties! =D

dixiesamplar said...

What a lovely Christmas finish, Melissa! And, that teacup set is gorgeous too.

Julius is such a handsome fella and very interested in the outside world...my Charlie goes out frequently, and has been showing how much he loves me by leaving gifts...dead chipmunks to be exact, LOL! Maybe I should make him stay inside like Julius and Daisy?!

Barb said...

PS never goes out of style, especially Christmas designs! I'm trying to get back into blog reading and I really need to "pick up the pen" and start posting. Some years ago we had a brief email exchange and I will never forget your kind words. Things are much better now and hope abounds. Thanks for blogging!

Brigitte said...

Ahhhhhh, so gorgeous, this Prairie Schooler piece. This designer accompanies me since I started stitching. I dearly love her style and the colours she uses, and there's nothing I wouldn't stitch by her. A wonderful finish, Melissa.

Maggee said...

That is a really nice PS finish! I don't think I have seen it done before--you did a great job! LOVE the teacup and saucer--the inside band IS indeed gorgeous! Hope 2014 will be a happier year, tho what you describe is normal ebb and flow of life. I have been introspective also... lots of thinking... sometimes too much! Have a Merry Christmas! Hugs!

Elisabetta said...

I love your Santa and the reindeers are wonderful!