Monday, 30 December 2013

Last two finishes of 2013

Thank you for your well wishes on my last post. I did see the chiropractor but I was also sore for 2-3 days afterwards. I'm sure it had something to do with Christmas stress. But I survived and am looking forward to ringing in a new year.  Before that happens I want to show you my last two finishes of this year. 

We start off with a UFO from over a year ago. This is Spring Song by Blackbird Designs.


This next set is Garland Fair by Blackbird Designs. If you have seen this design you will notice that I made some small modifications.


Even though the design only called for using GA Maple Syrup, you will notice I used other colours as well. For the acorns, I used 1 strand MS and 1 strand (light) GA Burnt Orange.  The moon has 1 strand MS and 1 strand GA Wheat Fields. There is also some red using 1 strand MS and 1 strand GA Weathered Barn.  The effect I wanted was like doing some colour-washing on a sepia toned photograph. The wording "With Gratitude & Grace" just came to me and I quite like it. I used my family name for the initial. 

I've wanted to stitch this oop design for a long time and now that's another one crossed off my list! I want to thank Lynda (no blog) for loaning me this chart! 

There are a few things I want to complete before 2013 is over. It may be something superstitious but this has been a tough year and I want to give it a proper farewell and shut the door, and open a new one called 2014 and hope for brighter days. I will be back to post again tomorrow. 

Julius says "Mom, tell all the nice people out there that I love that they come visit and that they adore my cuteness!" MMwah!
Will be back tomorrow. 

30 comments:

Glenna said...

Julius, you're so cute! The designs are very cute also. I'm glad you're feeling better, and I'm with you wholeheartedly on kissing this year goodbye and welcoming in a new, more happy one. Big hug to you from Virginia!

Vickie said...

tee hee to Julius. ;)
Your finish turned out great!
I hope and pray 2014 is a blessing for you.

Justine said...

I love the colours in both pieces. I hope 2014 is a better year for you. I'm not a cat person but Julius is very handsome!

Anja´s Wunschpunsch said...

All patterns are nice. I really like the acorn pattern and the color from this stitchery.

Greetings
Anja

Rowyn said...

Julius, you are such a handsome fellow!

This is Spring Song is a beautiful finish.

I'll be glad to see the back of 2013 too (it was the best and worst of years.... here's to a less eventful 2014).

Happy new year Melissa!

stitchersanon said...

Beautiful finishes: I love the colours...I think they are both perfect. Have a happy new year xx

Laurie in Iowa said...

Love your finishes and your kitty is adorable!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Two lovely finishes Melissa but Julius wins the day for me. When cats are involved there's no contest:-) I truly hope that 2014 brings you what you wish for.

Laura said...

Your finishes are absolutely stunning!!! how exciting!! Also, Julius is darling!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Your finishes are beautiful Melissa, as always! I want to slam the 2013 door shut, too! Here's a wish for a healthier, happier and a productive 2014!

donnacrafts said...

Just beautiful!! Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year...

Barb said...

Just beautiful finishes! I hope 2014 will be a great year for you!

Margaret said...

I love your finishes! Love what you did with Garland Fair, and the other design has always been a favorite of mine. I just need to stitch it. lol! Julius is so adorable! Mia sends kisses to him and his sister. :D Happy 2014! May it be a better year for you and your family.

Cathy B said...

Always inspired by your stitching! Happy New Year!

Penny said...

Lovely stitching, Melissa! Love the wording you chose for Garland Fair! Happy New Year - sure hope the coming year is a good one for you!! And I do so adore Julius in all of his cuteness. :)

Annette-California said...

Spring Song and Garland Fair are gorgeous. Love the colors you used to stitch on Garland Fair - incredible. Happy New Year to you and I hope it will be a much better year for you.
love Annette

Robin said...

Both designs are beautiful. The colors in Spring Song are especially pretty. Julius! Awesome. I just love a cat with personality and Julius looks like he has a great one. Nice to hear you are feeling better and Happy New Year!

Andrea said...

Beautiful finishes.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Mary said...

I do think it's very good luck to end the year with a stitching finish. Well done on yours! Here's wishig you all the best in the new year.

Angela P said...

Lovely finishes :) Happy New Year!

Catherine said...

Beautiful finishes! Julius ~ what a handsome fella!

Giovanna said...

Great way to close the year, congrats on the beautiful finishes. Have a wonderful new year.

Carol said...

Yes, Julius--you are one handsome cat! Sending you kisses :)

Lovely new finishes, Melissa--that was so nice of Lynda to lend you that chart. You've had such a gorgeous year of stitching--congratulations on making the world a bit prettier!!

Sharon said...

Both are beautiful Melissa and Julius ls a very handsome boy! Congrats on the finishes!

Terri said...

Congrats on the finish! It's gorgeous! And what a sweet kitty!!

Wilma said...

How did Julius know I adore his cuteness?

Maggee said...

Love both of your finishes! You do great work! Off to read more! Happy New Year! Hugs!

Lynn said...

What lovely finishes! I absolutely love the changes you made to the BBD. You really have a knack for that.
Julius, you really are a handsome fellow!

Beth said...

Such pretty finishes! The cats of Cos du Bois send out a big Hi! to Julius!

Hazel said...

Gorgeous finish. Your cat looks exactly the same as our new addition! x