Monday, 28 October 2013

Visited by the Ghost of Goldilocks

Thank you for all your comments about my last finish, Manor at Peacock Hill. It was interesting to hear your comments about the drastic change in dye lots lately with the Gentle Arts floss. Funny enough I got proof of it with a project I just finished a few days ago but more in a minute. 

The ghost of Goldilocks visited me after the finish of Manor at Peacock Hill. I could not settle into a project but thrashed around like a fiend - this one was too big and unwieldy, or I didn't like the floss colour of this one, or I didn't like the linen and on and on it went! It was pure Goldilocks and I sat pouting for awhile growling grumbling to myself.  Usually when this happens it's a reflection of something unsettling me in real life and this was the case.

I took a couple of days off stitching then decided to do a change of scenery and stitch some smaller pieces. That seemed to have helped!

Here's the first one - Wild Garden by Blackbird Designs. This was a full kit from last year, I think. This is where I encountered Otter Creek and it was a deep turquoisey-blue! That would've been great for the peacock! 



Then I pulled out an old one from the WIP pile where I had started that little bird on the bottom left. Can you guess what this is? 
The snowman "thimble" was something I purchased probably 20 years ago when we used to be able to buy precious handmade ornaments easily. 
I just love this snowman. This design is Winter Holiday from Birds of a Feather. What a fun stitch. I want to do more BOAF designs now!

I am in the mood for stitching Christmasy things now! How about you?

Daisy says stitch what you like, just let me snuggle down in my new box!  
Thanks for visiting! Have a great week!

27 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Hello to the gorgeous Daisy. I don't normally enthuse over BB designs but I just love this one and the colours are so pretty. BOAF have something special, I think.

Marilyn said...

Wild Garden is pretty, love the colors.
Cute Snowman and thimble also.
Daisy is a pretty girl.
Marilyn

Beth said...

Great post Melissa. You took a really great series of photos. Your BB stitch is so pretty. Like you, I am a big fan of BOAF...yours was wonder primary colors - super. What a bummer that most of the charts are OOP. My cats say howdy to yours.

Margaret said...

Love your stitching as always! Gorgeous! I agree about the whole dye lot thing. It's sooooooo annoying!!!! I hate it! Ugh. Anyway, Daisy is so cute! She looks very contented. What is it with cats and boxes? lol!

Natasha said...

Great finishes. Sometimes stitching on smalls is what's needed to get your Mojo back into full swing.

I love Daisys expression :) Have a great evening.

Diana said...

Thanks for sharing your great finishes. Very cute snowman!

marly said...

How pretty your Daisy is! Just like everything else in this post.

Deborah said...

Great finishes! Love the BBD piece. Sweet kitty.

Chris said...

Sweet Daisy! I love your finishes! The BBD piece is great and you are so right about the blue. So frustrating that the dye lots differ so much. Love, Love your snowman. Wish that BOAF were still designing for cross stitch.

Mary said...

Gotta love your BOAF snowman!! His colors are so bright on the warm linen. You're making me want to do him for myself.

Carol said...

Oh, two new finishes and both are darling! I hadn't seen either of those before, Melissa--so glad you found a way to banish the ghost of Goldilocks (for at least a bit!). I think that is why I stitch all smalls--they are so therapeutic with those quick finishes :)

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Melissa said...

Beautiful finishes! I know what you mean when you say you had a hard time settling on what to stitch. For me it's just that I have so much to stitch. I have dozens of patterns to choose from and I can be a little indecisive about it...

Confession... I listen to Christmas Music for the first time in my car the other day... So yep - totally ready for Christmas

Nicole said...

Beautiful finish Melissa! I love this sweet design! :)

Mii Stitch said...

Great post with two lovely finishes!!! I prefer the Christmassy one but they are both great. Well done!!!

Vickie said...

Wild Garden is just fantastic!!

Giovanna said...

Very pretty finishes, well done.

Katrina said...

Both pieces are just gorgeous!!!!!!

BrendaS said...

Melissa -- Great finishes! I get that way too after I finish a project -- what do you start next? Sometimes it takes a few starts to find something that just "fits".

Have a good week!

Keeper of the Crowes said...

What a lovely finish. Makes me want to get mine out right now!!! Your BOAF is adorable!!!

Karoline said...

Gorgeous finishes, congratulations

Sharon said...

My mom and I talk about this all the time, how hard it is to focus or find that next project. I don't know why that is. Both of these finishes are beautiful!

Andrea said...

Beautiful finishes. Love the Christmas design.

valerie said...

Great finishes Melissa! Love the BBD and the BOAF. I really wish BOAF was still designing. Daisy looks so sweet!

Maggee said...

Lovely finishes, both! Good that you figured out you needed a break from your big project! Hugs!

Catherine said...

Great projects!!

Marie said...

I recognized the snowman as a BOAF design although I never saw it before. I too love BOAF!

Love the thimble.

Congrats on two beautiful finishes.

Brigitte said...

Ahhh - visiting your blog again is pure delight. Both small finishes are so different in style and colour range, and they are both so beautiful. When it happens to me that I can't find any WIP that wants me to continue stitching on it I start something new. And it's usually something rather small, like you were choosing.