Sunday, 13 October 2013

Thankful

It's a beautiful long weekend here and we are celebrating Thanksgiving. There are many things I am thankful for. I will start with a finish!

This is Manor at Peacock Hill by With thy Needle and Thread:




I took these photos, as I usually do, with the linen on the dining room table. I usually turn on the light but as this was late afternoon, the sun streamed in and I thought I would try this natural effect. What do you think? Are these clear enough to see? 

Anyway, I am so glad I got this one done. I was pretty grumbly with this piece. The bird is NOT blue! This is what happens with dye lots, things photographed showing colours differently, etc. As you know I am fond of substituting colours but I was tired out from doing so with the two reproduction samplers I did this summer and I just didn't have any more energy to substitute colours. You can see the difference in the photo below. 

The colour on the chart for the bird seems more like a peacock blue, very rich and regal. The colour of Otter Creek, used for the head and tail, is more of a mossy forest green. The highlight is Mountain Mist. So if you want to stitch this and want a blue bird you may want to check the colour of the floss you've got in your hands! 

Anyway, it's finished and I'm so Happy! 

Another happy, read this post about Hal Lasko, the Pixel Painter and definitely watch the video! It will put a smile on your face!

Now I am off to cook a little bird for dinner (gee, doesn't that sound terrible?)

Remember to check my previous post for the last giveaway for October.  Thanks for stopping by!

30 comments:

Margaret said...

Beautiful finish! I have this one waiting for me to stitch too, of course. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Sharon said...

It's a beauty even without a very blue bird. Congrats on the finish! Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!

Beth said...

Melissa it is magnificent! I love your dappled light photographs...a nice effect.

Rowyn said...

Happy thanksgiving Melissa.

Your Manor at Peacock Hill is beautiful. I see what you mean about the colour of the peacock - very different than the chart photo. However, it is still a very lovely piece!

Annette-California said...

Oh Melissa Peacock Hill is Spectacular & beautiful. WOW! Congrats on a great finish. The natural sun light streaming thru the photos is very pretty. I can see the softness of the colors perfectly.
I so see what you mean by the colors in the peacock, but yours is breathtakingly beautiful.
Happy Thanksgiving! love Annette

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the great finish!

Faye said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! And thanks for the tip... This one us kitted up for me, so I'll double check my Otter Creek~~ :)

Chris said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Your finish is gorgeous! I am sorry that your bird is not blue...he is still fabulous!!

Vickie said...

It IS beautiful! Lovely lighting. Glad your Thanksgiving was great.

Catherine said...

Very beautiful ~ I love the natural light pictures!! Even though not blue, your bird is stunning!

Katrina said...

Still very pretty!!!!! Unfortunately the Gentle Arts dyelots are off by a lot on both the mountain mist and the otter creek right now. I've noticed a significant change in almost all their threads.

Nicole said...

Beautiful finish!! I'm working on the border right now - I love this design!

Deb said...

That is such a beautiful finish. I'm going to have to pick up this pattern. I keep looking at it but your finish threw me over the edge. I really love it!

Carol said...

Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving, Melissa! And I see why you're so thankful for that beautiful finish. Even if the colors didn't quite match up with the chart, it is still a beauty :) (And I do love the way you photographed it with the sunlight streaming through your window!)

BrendaS said...

Lovely finish Melissa! I have this one kitted but my shop owner changed out the colors so that it more resembled the pattern.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Colleen said...

I'm so glad you posted about this piece! I just ordered the pattern and fell in love with it because of the blue bird. I think I'll be substituting thread to make it more blue although yours is beautiful too :)

dbr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dona said...

Beautiful finish! I like the color of your bird and I think it looks really pretty in the natural light!

Linda said...

I love your sampler! I think it is beautiful just the way it is...
The natural light coming through on your photos looks good too!

Linda in VA

P.J. said...

Gorgeous! Love the rich colors. Happy Thanksgiving!

valerie said...

Happy Thanksgiving Melissa! Congrats on your new finish...I love this one! I don't think I've seen it before. Hope you had a lovely holiday. :)

Mary said...

What an impressive bird! I think the natureal light on your stitching is beautiful.

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Congratulations on your finish--it's beautiful! And your photos show it off nicely. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your finished piece is lovely but I know what you mean about colours - they can make or break a design. I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Gorgeous finish, Melissa! I love the little people on the side border - if I never stitch this, I'd love to incorporate that idea into another sampler. Having to swap out threads is so annoying and it's such a bummer if the original color is what drew you to a pattern. However, your peacock looks just as beautiful!

Mmanka said...

Your Manor at Peacock Hill is beautiful. I like the color of your bird and it looks really pretty in the natural light!

Theresa said...

I think it is still a beautiful piece!!! I love the sun effect on your photos~

Karoline said...

Gorgeous finish, congratulations

Maggee said...

Despite the difference in peacock colors, that is one gorgeous piece! I have not seen it completed before, and it is quite a nice one! Your pictures are good--didn't see any problems with lighting! thanks for sharing! Hugs!

VALIE said...

Very pretty. I like it very much.