Monday, 16 September 2013

Three and a half months

Interesting fact popped into my head this morning. It has been exactly 3.5 months since I finished my last work contract and it is 3.5 months till end of 2013! Wow. Either way I look at it - wow!

The time off has been a blessing. Sometimes you don't know how hard you've been running till you stop running, ease back to walking, and even sitting still at times. Sure, I've started to worry about finding my next contract. As I've said before things have changed "out there" and for me, it will likely be like learning to walk all over again.  

However, a few days ago, I found out another work friend has come up against the big C. Cancer. I only heard through this through the grapevine and needless to say, those who have worked with this lovely, dynamic woman are in shock. It sure puts my life back in perspective.  So, the priority to stay healthy and positive and enjoy the time I have right now. To that end, I am going to spend time now on yoga (taking 2 classes a week) and doing some artwork (still trying to figure that out). I will see how they go and post on those topics if I have something to say later. It's good to get back to a couple of things I have loved but abandoned. 

Now, onto some positive - stitching! This is Pink Sparrow Sampler by With Thy Needle and Thread. I am using the recommended floss and linen. Gosh, my brain can take a rest now from the contortions I put myself through with my last two samplers!


This is stitched on 30 count linen using 2 strands of floss. After stitching the last two samplers with 1 strand on 36 count, this feels like I'm working needlepoint! This is a fun, relaxing stitch and the colours are such pretty ones. 

We have entered a rainy spell since yesterday afternoon but we had some hot, sunny days last week. I think we might have broke records a couple of days. I came in from the garden to find the kitties conked out by the open windows. 
It is rare that I can get this close to take a photo without them waking up, especially Daisy. They must've been really drugged by the heat!
Daisy did wake and looked at me like "hey, what are you doing with that camera?"
Well, I am glad to have gotten this post done with minutes to spare. I am off to the dentist (groan) to get a filling fixed that he did last week. *sigh* I hope it gets fixed today with no pain! 

Thanks for your visits and taking time to leave me comments. Have a great week!

27 comments:

BrendaS said...

LOVE your new sampler. Aren't the colors and motifs just beautiful?

Great pics of your kitties! They look SO sweet.

Anne said...

Oh Melissa! We have very similar blog posts...mine is the Number 3! Yay to you starting the Pink Sparrow! I saw this on her blog and have been thinking about getting it to start at some point. Isn't it a nice break to stitch on a bigger count?! You've done a lot on it and it's looking beautiful. So sorry to hear of your work friend. I hope that it has been caught early enough and that she will be okay. We must try and enjoy each day we can. Love the photos of your kitties. That's how I felt on that day! Hope things go well at the dentist! Take care my dear!

Glenna said...

Pink Sparrow is so pretty. It's nice to give yourself a break once in a while on the larger count. And I envy your freedom to take yoga, stop and smell (and work in) the flowers and stitch when you want.

Vickie said...

Yuck! The dentist. Hope all goes smoothly and pain free. Such a beautiful sampler.

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Congratulations on your lovely finish! I loved stitching this sampler and yours turned out beautiful!!!

WoolenSails said...

Your new sampler is beautiful, always love your work. Your kitties are adorable, sleeping on their heads together. Mine seem to know I have a camera, before I can turn it on and stop whatever they are doing and just sit there, till I turn it off, lol.

Debbie

Beth said...

Pink Sparrow is VERY pretty. You are using your 'off' time most wisely. Love the photos of the Fur Babies.

Annette-California said...

I am surprised how much you've completed already on Pink Sparrow - Shes Beautiful. I know its like pure joy stitching on larger count - Yes it does make it fun and pleasurable to stitch. Good for you to do some things you've been wanting to do. I wish you all the best and good luck at the dentist (thats no fun but thank goodness for them).
love Annette

Jeannine520 said...

Your Pink Sparrow sampler is looking great. Wonderful colors! Your darling kitties look quite content. When I see pictures like theirs I always think it would it be great to be a cat even for only a few days. To lay in front of an open window without a care, worry, or to-do list would be grand wouldn't it?

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely sampler - it's good to work on something relaxing and fun. The kitties look so peaceful, cats have a way of relaxing that I really envy.

Margaret said...

I'm sorry to hear about your work friend. I just had a follow up ultrasound to check that something in my breast is ok -- and I'm relieved to say it is. The big C word is so scary for anyone.

Darn you -- I was trying so hard to resist this sampler. lol! Now you have me wanting to order it! It's gorgeous! And your cats -- sooooo cute! They really love that window seat!

Jackie said...

Your Pink Sparrow Sampler is wonderful! I love the urn of flowers.

I hope that your work works out well and that you find the perfect contract quickly. I'll be thinking of your friend.

What's not to love about a pile o'kitties?!

Teresa S. said...

I'm so glad you are blogging about this sampler. I've been waiting to see what it "really" looks like :) It is a very tempting stitch, for sure.

Chris said...

The Pink Sparrow sampler is gorgeous. It sounds like you are making the best of this time off. So nice to have time to stitch and take classes and to be there for people that you care about.
Love those content kitties.

Loraine said...

Your Pink Sparrow is really beautiful. I like this sampler a lot.
It sounds like you have the right perspective about life right now. Enjoy every day. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer is such a devastating disease.
Your kitties are darling. Thanks for sharing.

Lianne said...

Best of luck with your yoga classes and rediscovering the artist in you! Make sure to share about how things progress!

I am sorry to hear about your colleague - I couldn't agree more, that we need to enjoy the time we have.

Your Pink Sparrow looks beautiful.

Andrea said...

Love the new sampler. Look at those kitties, not a care in the world. I've just picked up something using 32ct and after stitching on 36ct and 40ct it seems like it is huge!

dixiesamplar said...

Love the new start! And the kitties look so comfortable and relaxed all stretched out in the window...lucky fur balls, LOL!

So sorry to hear about your co-worker/friend...thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family! And you too, my dear...stay healthy my friend!

valerie said...

It's nice that you're able to slow down and take things in. Definitely need to take the time for yourself. I should really heed my own advice though. lol Love your progress on Pink Sparrow. I just noticed this sampler the other day so I will enjoy following your progress. I am so sorry to hear the news about your work friend. Hopefully treatment will be a success for her. The kitties are so cute. I'm kind of like that on the hottest of days!

Penny said...

This sampler caught my eye from the first moment I saw it. Beautiful stitching, and fast too! :) It seems like cancer is always lurking just around the corner. I wish all the best for your friend. Cats love to bask in the sun, don't they. And it's so cute the way they love to cuddle up together. Mine used to do that when they were kittens, but not anymore.

Grit said...

Your sampler is fantastic. And I love your cats.

Elisabetta said...

Great sampler and so cute cats!!!!

Brigitte said...

I agree with you on every word you said about enjoying life whenever you can. And you are right, the balance between work and leisure time is rarely given. Slowing down is so important. You never know what is waiting for you around the corner. Wishing your co-worker all the best for her battle against cancer.

Your sampler is so so beautiful - all the motives and lovely colours. Certainly a lot of fun to stitch it.

Carol said...

Love the Pink Sparrow sampler, Melissa (but, where are the pink sparrows--are they still to be stitched?)

I like your idea of making your health and state of mind a priority. I began doing yoga before I got sick and really enjoyed it (just did the DVDs at home)--hope to get back to it soon... And I know you'll figure out a good way to get art back into your life (although with stitching you already have some!).

Hope the dentist fixed the filling. Having to go once is bad enough, but having to have the same spot fixed twice is awful...

Karoline said...

Pink sparrow is looking gorgeous, great progress

Love the pictures of the kitties

Lynn said...

Pink Sparrow is on my list of new starts. I have it all kitted up and ready to go. Seeing yours makes me want to get moving on it. It looks so gorgeous! I was really attracted to the colours on this one.

I hope your dental visit went well. I spent Monday in the chair having two large fillings repaired that had cracked. My jaw still aches somewhat.

Great pic of the kitties!

Introverted Art said...

I am very much in tune with date patterns like that too. I find them to be magical... And the kitties so sweet and loving.