Monday, 2 September 2013

Hello, September!

The weather is definitely saying Autumn is here. We had a record breaking dry July, then the rains started sneaking back in, little by little. We had a tremendous thunder-and-lightning show last week with torrential rain! Thankfully Saturday and Sunday were beautifully sunny but we are back to rain today.

Yesterday while it was sunny, we stopped off in a new area along the Fraser River which is being redeveloped into a new residential neighbourhood. The area was industrial for many years slowly it's being transformed. Of course any land around water is highly prized. 

See the plane in the air? That way lies the Vancouver International Airport. 
A lovely walkway along the river.
It was low tide. 
The Fraser River is used for moving logs to their destination.
On one side of this pier is the "older" part of the development.
On the other side are the beginnings of the new development. There are lots more to come - I think the density will be high with more multi-family dwellings than single family homes. I quite like how this new area is coming along.
Ahhh, not to neglect a show of the progress on Matilda Ann Charles... The colours in the basket remind me of buttermints! No, I didn't have any to eat but they just reminded me of them. Funny how colour combinations can bring back memories so sharply! 
As much as I love Matilda, I am really hoping I can finish this piece soon! 

I hear the rain, the rain, the rain! It's a good day for stitching and reading! Those of you with a day off with Labour Day, enjoy it! 

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments! Have a great week!

24 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You're right Melissa, colour combinations can jog so many memories. It's a very pretty piece.

Chris said...

Lovely area that you explored.
Matilda looks gorgeous and yes those do look like buttermints :)
I hope that you have a great week!

Glenna said...

Buttermints! Yes, they do! I used to get those at my grandparents' house. Love the new development along the Fraser River. I would so much like to live there if I were independently wealthy...

BrendaS said...

Nice pictures Melissa! Matilda is looking really good. I'm sure there will be a finish very soon:)

Margaret said...

That looks like such a pretty area! So cool to see the logs too -- I've read so many novels with logging in them but have never really seen logging in person. Loooove Matilda Ann Charles! Maybe I should get my chart kitted up.....

Mary said...

You're absolutely right - they do look like buttermints! Matilda is a beauty. Loved seeing the photos of the river and the logs on it. Looks like a beautiful day!

Catherine said...

The Fraser River area looks lovely, as do your stitches! Hhmmmmm.....suddenly I am craving buttermints!!

Brigitte said...

Nice trip along the river. A great area for living once the houses are finished.
Matilda Ann is coming along great. A great mixture of colours.

Mii Stitch said...

Lovely progress on your current project! It looks really pretty :)

Giovanna said...

Your WIP is really charming - lovely stitching.

Elisabetta said...

Wonderful places!!! I like this season ! Great wip!

Karoline said...

Lovely trip along the river, thanks for shareing it.

Matilda is looking lovely, great progress

Andrea said...

It looks a lovely area. Beautiful stitching.

Marie said...

I always enjoy your pics. :-)

Your work is truly stunning!

Jan Gartlan said...

Autumn where you are. Spring where I am. Matilda is so pretty!

Introverted Art said...

these photos are so serene and beautiful.

Carol said...

I've finally caught up on your last three posts, Melissa... Matilda Ann is really moving right along--I'll bet you'll have her finished in no time. And yes--that does look like a dish of buttermints!! So funny :)

I'm amazed at the banana plant you showed in your post from August 11th--that is just so cool!! And your garden flowers look as gorgeous as always--it must be so nice to live in a temperate enough climate to grow such pretty things...

Enjoy your weekend!

Penny said...

You sure do live in a lovely area! Matilda Ann is pretty, pretty! I really love the colors, and I think they should rename that floss color buttermint. :) I'm glad I went back through Blogger one more time - your post kind of slipped in there and I missed it.

Tammy said...

Beautiful pics! Matilda is looking lovely!

Kathy Ellen said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time exploring that interesting area.

Matilda Ann is really coming along beautifully. I love the soft colours, and yes, I do agree that those little blooms do remind me, of Buttermints.....one of my favorite sweets too!

Blessings!

Lois said...

Love Matilda Ann and your progress on her. Really enjoyed all the pics. What beautiful views by the riverside.

Maggee said...

Thanks for sharing the walk to the new developing area--the walkway is super nice! That area DOES look like buttermints! It is quite a nice look, and the piece is coming along quite nicely! Hugs!

Anne said...

Hmm, that walkway by the river looks nice and flat to ride on! We will have to check that out one day since I have never been there. It's amazing that there are so many more places to explore in our city. Good thing the rain stopped for a bit and now we are getting some nice weather. Hugs!

Lynn said...

Would you believe I'm sitting here with some buttermints beside me? I haven't had one in ages and just purchased them yesterday. I love the colours you decided on for the baskets. So soft and yummy!

That new development looks lovely. I've only been to the west coast once, to Victoria with a day's visit to Vancouver. I did love it out there though.