Sunday, 11 August 2013

Visited by Aliens A & E

Good morning! Thank you for all your nice comments about Jane - it was very gratifying! Now, because my "playing with crayons" experiment worked so well, I am continuing that with another sampler.

First, meet my new alien friends: 
Aren't they the cutest alien stick people ever? I just adore them as they are just so funky - actually reminds me of squid as they are so white! They could be squid people. Do you recognize where they are from? 

It's Matilda Ann Charles from The Scarlet Letter. I've had this chart for awhile now and I've always considered changing the colours. I started this from the lower left hand corner and all was going well even with what looks to be a border that needed lots of careful counting. I adore the border, by the way.
I was blissed out stitching these lovely colours while listening to a very interesting audiobook - Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.  The novel is composed of six stories that are related and moves from the past to the future (sci-fi) and then back. It can be very confusing but if you just let go and listen, and the narrators are fantastic, then it can be very engaging. 

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way I was too engaged with listening and not counting... I found the boo-boo yesterday.  Can you see it? 

Yup. The tree, and this is AFTER it was all complete, is off center and is about 8 spaces too far to the left! Oy! There's no way I would frog this so I will have to improvise somehow. If you look at the original you will see that the space is densely filled with words so it's not going to work with my big boo-boo. I hang my head in embarrassment! 

But, it could be worse, right? I've never, knock wood, cut into my linen by accident! Now that would seriously make me cry....or scream.
Enough about stitching, let's head outside and check on the other alien in my home - the banana flower pod.  The leaves, as you can see are still peeling back from the pod then those squiggly things form into little bananas! 
Here's a view from above. 
After seeing squid people and alien banana pods, here's a pretty flower to wrap up this post. 
Thanks for stopping by. Let me know if you have any suggestions for the spaces around the A&E tree. I was thinking just doing an alphabet...

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and have a great week!

19 comments:

Margaret said...

OMG, that is so funny about the alien A&E! lol! So hysterical! Thank goodness I have this chart in my stash. I always want to stitch what you're stitching. :D Sorry, I don't know what to suggest about the letters around the tree. I think your idea is a good one. The banana plant -- so cool!!! I hope there are lots of little bananas soon! Pretty flower too!

Catherine said...

Fun post ~ alien people and plants!! Sorry about the tree being off ~ I am sure you will come up with something creative!

Penny said...

Beautiful sampler! Trees are not my favorite thing to stitch - I think I probably would have had a small cry. :) I don't think I would have the heart to frog it either. It may be that you just have to start stitching the words to figure out an adjustment. An alphabet sounds like a good solution. Enjoying the banana plant progress. :)

Chris said...

So funny, they do look like squid people. I think that your start looks great. I hope that the bump in the stitching road works out ok.
The bananas do look weird.
Have a great week!

Mii Stitch said...

Great new start! Your aliens look great :)

Rowyn said...

Love your 'aliens' Melissa. lol.

It is always gut wrenching to find a booboo in your stitching. I hope you won't let it put you off, as this looks like it is going to be another fabulous sampler.

BrendaS said...

Beautiful stitching! I have no ideas what to put around Adam & Eve other than a tree, plant or flowers?

Karoline said...

Great start on Matilda, love the Aliens! I'm not familiar with the sampler so I can't suggest anything. But I do remember being completely engrossed in Cloud Atlas when I read it too.

Jenny said...

Hi Melissa,
I just found your blog and found myself grinning at your alien A&E. I just finished Matilda and called them my ET Adam and Eve...LOL...I think you should be able to work out the verses just fine. There are more words on the right hand side of the sampler which gives you some room to play on the left...after all this will just make it your own. The tree looks lovely, Adam and Eve are happy so I think it will be great whatever you do!

Introverted Art said...

the Adam & Eve stitching is amazing.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Oh Melissa, it's so frustrating when you find a counting mistake. I made one recently and I get so annoyed with myself. If I'm being honest when I make a big one I tend to give up on the project - I suppose that says something about me:-)

Jeanne said...

You're right, that's a beautiful sampler border! I'm sure you will figure out something to work out the tree problem. It's aggravating I know. I've seen a few lovely borders on some Adam & Eve samplers but I don't stitch those samplers because I'm phobic about reptiles and such...but I'm tempted to use the border and substitute something else inside!

Sharon said...

Such a pretty sampler. I am sure you will figure something out. I picked up my sampler today after a few days off and found a mistake. It can be a little frustrating!

Melody said...

I love the border on your piece! Very pretty. But it looks like you would have to pay close attention not to mess it up. The people do resemble squid people. LOL. That's too bad about your mistake. I'm sure you will come up with some improvisation to make it work out.

The banana plant is so cool. Love the pictures.

Kathy Ellen said...

Love that beautiful border on Matilda so much too, and those colours are just yummy! Adorable little aliens and reindeer.

It will be fun if you have some petite bananas from those pods...very unusual looking plant, for sure.

Blessings for a wonderful weekend!

Marie said...

They really do look like aliens. :-)
No way would I rip out the stitched tree! Wish I could suggest a good way to cover up the error. UGH.

Wow, I always love your garden pictures ~ Beautiful.

Anne said...

I love those little alien/squid A & E!! So funny! Such a pretty sampler though. I really like the border too. Hopefully you can fudge the stuff around the tree and not have to rip it out. Those bananas are hilarious! So hairy!! Feeling the coolness in the air? I was hoping for more of that wonderful weather when we came back from our vacation so I don't feel like school is around the corner...which it is...

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

very beautiful pictures !

bisous from FRANCE , Marylin

Brigitte said...

Oh my Melissa, aliens have invaded your home, lol. A&E definitely look a bit like aliens. So sorry that the tree turned out not to be centred. Hmmm, I'm not a very experienced sampler stitcher so I have no idea about a solution. If it was me I'd frog (with tears in my eyes), but I'm sure there's still a different solution.
That banana plant is just gorgeous. I'm so curious to see the little bananas one day.