Sunday, 4 August 2013

All about Jane - a finish

Good Sunday morning to you all!  I'm going to do a quick post just to show you Miss Jane Harris in all her prettiness. I present her to you with a sigh of relief and a big smile on my face!



 

I'm still smiling when I look at her. I won't be getting her framed for awhile since I am not working so I don't want to spend the money now, especially with the Market goodies coming this month, but more importantly because I haven't found a new framer yet. So for now I have pinned her up on my bulletin board where she'll hang out and wink at me every once in awhile! Jane is the biggest sampler ever stitched for me so I am very happy with that milestone too!

Here are the "technical" bits. The Jane Harris 1827 Sampler is published by McIntosh Sampler. I stitched on 36 count Vintage Light Examplar linen (Lakeside) using various silks from my stash.  I have been asked about a conversion and I can tell you bits of what I used in a minute but I did not have a 1:1 coversion.  I quickly found that I wanted to break out from the original charted colours and just used what I felt like. Yes, when you do that, there can be a bit of frogging involved.

I started stitching this in the lower left hand corner.  See that red and rust coloured basket? That colour combination occurred a lot, including in the peacock. Well, I wanted a blue and purple peacock and it just kind of spiraled happily from there! 

For the border I used Belle Soie's Strawberry Shortake and Weathered Vine. The rust colour I used in the basket and framing the house was AVAS 4236.  I used a lot of BS Poison Apple and Terra Cotta as I love that combination!  The design of the middle basket was my creation. 

I could never have done this changing-up of colours if I was still in a full time job. I really needed time to play (and frog). My advice if you want to do what I did is just to have fun with the process and don't be rushed. I'm glad I started from the bottom where there were lots of different motifs for me to add colour in so I can get a sense of how the palette would look. Then I used a lot of those colours in the alphabet at the top part of the sampler. 

Now, I am onto doing the same thing with another sampler. I am still in the trial-and-error (ribbit, ribbit) stage so no photos yet. 

Oh, one question I have for you if you don't mind - do you have any favourite colours in silks? Can you tell me your top 3 or something? You can tell I love Belle Soie silks, can't you? 

Well, this was a quick post but not so short! However, time to get on with Sunday! Hope you have a great week. Thank you for stopping by!

44 comments:

Faye said...

Oh Melissa! This piece is just stunning and you should be doing a big ole happy dance!!!! Congrats on the completion of your largest sampler!!!! I have always liked this one and so glad you made it your own with the colors.... Great choices!!!

I love silks of all kinds... Ureally do enjoy Belle Soies... Sister Scarlet is my all time favorite followed with Creme De Menthe and Cranberry..... Love all the colors though....

Again, great job~ can't wait to see what you do next~. Faye

Keeper of the Crowes said...

It's stunning, Melissa!! I just love all the color conversions that you made. Congratulations!! Belle Soies is my favorite fiber, as well!!!

Lee said...

Way to go, Melissa! It's fantastic!

Vickie said...

Jane is really beautiful!

Laura said...

That has turned out so beautiful!!! Can't wait to see how you get it framed!

Joanie said...

She's a beauty! I can't wait to stitch her! Lovely, lovely finish, Melissa!

Cath said...

Lovely finish . Well done . I have yet to try stitching with silks , maybe one day .X

Chris said...

Beautiful finish! Your color conversion is stunning too. I hope that you find a wonderful framer. So what is next? Another sampler or some seasonal stitching.
Have a great upcoming week!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Very bonnie finish Melissa, it's a really pretty design and your colour choices are just perfect. My favourite silks are AVAS and they do a shade that I often substitute for black as it's much more muted. I can't remember the number at present but I use it often.

Deb said...

I think that your Jane came out perfect with your color changes. I've got mine started - the first row of alphabets and above, but for some reason the pink in it was making me nuts. But now that I see yours (the letter D) I'm not going to obsess about it. Yours looks really great!

Mary said...

Jane looks beautiful Melissa. Enjoy looking at her. You certainly need to keep your wits about you when you start altering threads or colours, but you have done a great job with Jane. I guess my favourite threads are NPI - I love the colours of AVA'S but they are not very forgiving if your hands are less than perfectly smooth so I don't use them.
Mary

P.J. said...

Spectacular! The colors are lucious!! Congrats on this wonderful piece.

samplerlover said...

Congratulations on finishing this beautiful sampler. Love your conversion.

BrendaS said...

Beautiful finish! Love the colors you chose. You were very brave to do that. I have a hard time just changing one color LOL:)))

Karen said...

Beautiful finish... love your color combos too! happy stitching....

Jackie said...

Absolutely beautiful! Your color selection is wonderful.

Margaret said...

So so gorgeous! I just love the colors you used! You have a real eye for color! Congratulations on finishing Jane!

Mary said...

Melissa, Miss Jane is fabulous! You've truly made her your own with the color choices. I have to agree that deciding to strike out on your own with the colors is no doubt a committment to some frogging, but in the end it's all worth the time and effort. Well done!

Lisa V said...

Such a great finish, what a beauty!
I cant really comment on favourite colours of silk as I havent had the pleasure of using any as yet.

Anne said...

Oh Melissa!! Jane is just fabulous!Looove the colours, motifs and the little birds and odd creatures!! Well done on your finish. Can't wait to see what you work on next. As for silks, I've used NPI's and AVAS. Hands down AVAS wins, albeit more expensive. Yet to try Belle Soie. One day hopefully!

Take care

Carole said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Melissa.....love your choice of colors.

Carole said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Melissa.....love your choice of colors.

Mii Stitch said...

Beautiful piece!! :)

Karoline said...

Jane is stunning, congratulations

Carol said...

That is one big, beautiful finish, Melissa! You always do the best job of selecting the perfect colors--so glad you had the time off work to really devote to this lovely piece :)

Sharon said...

Melissa, you truly made this fabulous finish your own! Congrats!

Anna van Schurman said...

COngratulations! It's gorgeous and I think you did a wonderful job with the changes.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Another gorgeous finish, Melissa! I love the colors you chose and like you, think it takes a lot more time than folks think to make the changes! Like how you stitched your initials and date in the border.. Beautiful, beautiful work, as always!

Penny said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish, Melissa! Definitely in love with the colors! It's hard to pick favorites when it comes to the Belle Soie silks, but three I really like are Mer Bleu, Red Fox, and Terra Potta. :) I really admire your ability to make color changes.

Andrea said...

Wow Melissa, super gorgeous work my dear!! Your color changes really make this beautiful! Can't imagine how much time that took, converting and stitching. Wonderful!

Jan Gartlan said...

Wow it's gorgeous.

Theresa said...

What a gorgeous finish!!!!!! I really like the colors!!!!! Beautiful~~
I haven't been working with silk much so I can't say which colors I like most. I really would like to try Belle Soie silks one day, since I've heard so many good things about it~~

Lana said...

Beautiful finish!!

Katrina said...

Completely gorgeous!!!!! Congrats on the finish.

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

I just love your finish. This is sure beautiful. Congratulations on your finish.

I just found your Blog and I am now a follower of your Blog. I would like for you to be a follower of my Blog as well.

http://lindaksstitchingcorner.blogspot.com

Happy Stitching

Catherine said...

Stunning finish!!

Brigitte said...

Oh Melissa, what a wonderful finish this is. I have adored all the reds that you used in it while you were stitching it. The result is just breath-taking. Congratulations!

Andrea said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish.

Kathy Ellen said...

Oh, Melissa, 'Jane Harris' is absolutely stunning, and your selection of silk colours for her are all truly gorgeous. I love the blue and purple peacock! Your stitching is just amazing. You must be so pleased with your beautiful sampler, now that is is all finished.

Blessings!

Joke said...

You did a wonderful job on this, congrats!

Laura said...

I love your sampler, is very beautiful.

Maggee said...

Yay! Congrats on the big finish! It looks so beautiful! You did a wonderful job! I like that you are hanging it, even if it is not framed. And your initials in the outside border are perfect--they won't show until it is taken from the frame! Can't wait to see the next banana report! Hugs!

Natalia said...

Such a gorgeous sampler. Congratulations on a beautiful finish !!

Lois said...

Look what I've missed with not catching up with blogs on a regular basis - Melissa, Jane is beautiful!!! What a fantastic finish! I love how you are able to use your own interpretation of colours. I'm such a coward when it comes to that!