Tuesday, 9 July 2013

The Lazy Hazy Daze of Summer

Yes, I mean "daze" not "days" as I feel like I am in a daze these days. We have had such a long stretch of sunshine (and some heat) that I feel like I'm just in one long magical summer day. I do a little of this, a little of that, and *poof* don't ask me what day it is! Hence I am posting on a Tuesday. Meh, what can you do? 

Since I left you last, I have filled in the house for Miss Jane Harris and completed the plant on the right hand side.
I added birds all around.  I am holding off on the birds on top of the chimneys as I may put something else up there! We shall see. 
Here's how the bottom third of the sampler is looking. Next I will be doing the band in the middle of the sampler. 
I feel happy just looking at her!  In case you are wondering, I have digressed greatly from the original colours but still keeping with the reds as the predominant eye catcher. 

Here is a rare photo of a Canada Day flag flying nicely (as opposed to limply) at our house. It was a very hot day too! 
Here's me sitting down under our banana tree(s) after a long day gardening. The banana plant started here 9 years ago as one little plant. We now have 5 trunks and even potted up a small baby one that we will likely pass on to a friend. Obviously the mother plant is happy tucked away in this corner of our yard! 
Indoors, a couple of our orchids are re-blooming! I don't know the names of these but I know the first one is very fragrant and easy to grow!

Here we are again, at the bottom of the page, at the bottom of the post. Let's see how quickly I can stitch the middle section of the sampler! What always helps my stitching is if I have a good audio book to listen along to. This was what I had just finished and I definitely wanted to keep listening, and therefore stitching, nonstop!  

Thanks for taking time to visit, and your comments are much appreciated!  By the way, if you have a good book you are reading or listening to, I would love to know what it is!

Have a great week! I hope you are enjoying some lovely weather. 

24 comments:

Giovanna said...

How beautiful is Jane Harris! Well done on the progress, and enjoy your wonderful garden.

Katrina said...

Gorgeous!!!!!! You know I love it :-). So happy I managed to get a copy of the chart.

Margaret said...

Your Jane is just gorgeous! I love the colors you're using. Sigh. Soooo pretty! That banana plant is enormous! And your orchids are beautiful!

valerie said...

Your Jane is coming along gorgeously! And so is the garden. Your orchids are so pretty. I can't keep one a live to save my life but I love looking at them. And your banana plant is huge! The book I was really enjoying (that I put aside to read books that were due at the library) is Night Circus. I read Gone Girl based on the reviews and I didn't really enjoy it. Go figure! Hope you're enjoying your time off. :)

Catherine said...

Beautiful stitches and garden!!

Maggee said...

Your Sampler is beautiful. Stitcher's prerogative to change colors to your liking! It looks great! Hugs!

April said...

Jane Harris is coming along Beautifully Melissa! Can't wait to see the middle now...

Penny said...

Such pretty colors in Jane! I can't get over the size of the leaves on that banana tree - they would make wonderful fans. :) And your orchids are just gorgeous!

Deborah said...

Jane is gorgeous! Love the orchids.

Evik said...

Hi Melissa, it is very nice sampler!!! This takes a lot of time and patience, is not it?
Today is too warm here. But otherwise is Summer cold and rainy here this year :(
Big hugs!!!
Eva

Annette-California said...

Your Jane sampler is looking Gorgeous! i love the colors you are stitching. Beautiful orchids.
love Annette

Mii Stitch said...

Beautiful stitching with great progress! Looks fun to stitch :)

Chris said...

Your sampler is beautiful, such happy summer colors.
Gorgeous orchids too.

Mary said...

Miss jane looks like the perfect summertime project - her colors are so bright and fresh!

I had no idea banana trees grew in Vancouver?

Melody said...

Visit my blog sometime, I often recommend books. Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman and The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank were two of my last favorite reads.

Your banana plant is huge! Your sampler is lovely as well.

bookwomanstitches.blogspot.com

Deb said...

You're making such great progress and I love your thread conversion!!

Glenna said...

Love the sampler, but especially the photo of your garden and plants. It's uncharacteristically gloomy here (we're having your summer, I guess), so it gladdened my eyes and heart.

Glenna said...

Love the sampler, but especially the photo of your garden and plants. It's uncharacteristically gloomy here (we're having your summer, I guess), so it gladdened my eyes and heart.

Melissa said...

My my it looks almost tropical! Lucky to be in BC and beautiful weather hehe.

Lovely stitching and great progress.

Andrea said...

Jane Harris is looking fabulous Melissa, love those colors!

You have a gift with flowers, seriously.

Carol said...

How I envy you with that long string of sunny summer days, Melissa! Here it is just one pop-up thunderstorm after another--the oddest summer weather I can remember for our area...

Jane is big and beautiful! You're making wonderful progress--so glad you have some free time to enjoy your stitching and gardening and reading this summer :)

Anne said...

Melissa! Just got back and catching up with people. You have been so busy with stitching! Love Jane Harris and the bright colours and motifs. The weather has been glorious here and up in PG until today. It's nice that it's cooled down a wee bit since it will get hot again soon.The photo of you in the garden is so sweet!

Hugs!

Karoline said...

Jane is looking gorgeous, great progress

Your garden is looking lovely

Brigitte said...

Oh Melissa, it's absolutely great to see you stitching along this wonderful smapler. A very beautiful one.
Your banana tree is really stunning - and would certainly be one of my favourite places in the garden, too.