Saturday, 20 July 2013

A Picture Postcard walk

Hello! It was a beautiful day today, amongst many beautiful days we've had in July. For a change of pace, this post will just capture parts of my city, Vancouver. 

A friend I had worked with organized to meet up for a walk and a coffee early this morning.  I have a point-and-shoot camera, nothing fancy at all, but these images just captured a perfect morning. 

My friend drove us to Granville Island (to the left on the photo). From there we walked along the sea wall eastward to the Olympic Village. 
We walked through a neighbourhood called False Creek.  Imagine living there and having this area as your backyard! 
We are walking east towards the Olympic Village. The highrises you see are on the other side of the water and they form the edges of downtown Vancouver. 
This is looking back from where we had walked from (west). 
This is the skyline as we head east once again. 
Further on, turning around, facing west. The water flows out to Burrard Inlet then the Pacific Ocean.  That direction lies various beaches.
Resuming our walk eastward, you see our big sports stadium with the retractable roof, across the water (False Creek).
We came across a couple of funky painted pianos along our walk. The city has installed various pianos around the city for anyone to pull up and play. We passed a guy who was passionately playing a tune. It was wonderful! 
Ahhh, we are almost at our destination - Olympic Village (to the right). The big "golf ball" you see is the Science World building.
Here is part of the Olympic Village which began development as part of the 2010 Winter Olympics hosted by Vancouver. We had breakfast at a cafe (see the yellow awnings?) at the bottom of that building you see. 
The city has grown so much that I can easily play tourist and get amazed at all the things I've missed while in work mode!

I hope you have enjoyed this interlude!  I had a few more photos but I thought this was enough to share! Thanks for dropping by!

26 comments:

Gabi said...

Thanks for showing the pictures. Really a nice walk, I remember some sights when I was there las year! Only the weather wasn't that nice!
Greetings from Germany

Annette-California said...

I enjoyed all your photos. I've been to Vancouver before and we had a great time. Thank you for sharing.
love Annette

Karoline said...

Lovely to take your walk with you, thanks for sharing

Vickie said...

Thank you so much! I truly enjoyed this. My daughter is in awe of the pianos out for playing. She plays. It would be so awesome to play out there!

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful place to walk, a mix of the old and new.

Debbie

Margaret said...

Such a beautiful city you live in! I'd love to be so close to the ocean all the time. Lovely! Thanks for the tour.

Carol said...

I've always heard Vancouver was a beautiful city and your photos prove it, Melissa! Love the piano idea--how do they keep them from getting wet? Or does someone bring them in in bad weather?

Maybe some day we'll make it up there and you can play tour guide :)

P.J. said...

Very cool! Thank you for share these great shots!

stitcheranon said...

Wow, what a lovely city. I really loved having a look around. The piano idea is great. Wish we did something like that here!

Anne said...

Your photo snaps are lovely Melissa!! I think they captured Vancouver perfectly. Love the piano! I didn't know they passed that bylaw...so cool. Maybe I'll go down and play Moonlight Sonata sometime (need my music though!) I feel that way too, that the city has changed so much that I feel like a tourist a bit. The other day, my hubby and I cycled through downtown, by the seawall, past the Olympic Village and through the East end. We saw parts we have never seen before. Sometimes we don't need to travel very far for an adventure!

Hugs!

Von said...

I loved the little photo tour of a part of your city! It's such a beautiful place and I really need to get back up there again. :)

Mary said...

What a glorious day and city for walking, exploring and taking photos. Thanks for sharing them.

lynda said...

Thanks so much for sharing these pics...they brought back memories of our trip to your beautiful city last year.

Penny said...

Wonderful pictures, Melissa! I feel like I've been to Vancouver - what a beautiful city! I think that is so interesting about the pianos. :)

Catherine said...

Thank you so much for the tour! What a beautiful city!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

What a great tour! Love the idea of the pianos but how in the world do they withstand the weather? 🎼

Grit said...

Wonderful photos.

Terri said...

Thank you for the tour of your city! I want to visit the area SO BADLY!! One of these days, I will! :-)

Your pictures are awesome!

Brigitte said...

It's already a couple of times that I have looked at your picturesw. I always love it to get to know all the places where my blogging friends live. Thanks for sharing.

Chris said...

Thanks for the wonderful tour!

Andrea said...

love the tour, thank you for sharing.

Marie said...

I was out walking with my husband yesterday and thought, "I should bring my camera and capture this walk to post on my blog". Not sure I will do that now that I saw what an amazing walk you had...mine can't compare. :-)

Thank you for sharing your little part of this big world!

Marie said...

Oh, I just need to ask: What happens to the pianos when it rains?

Lemon Chic said...

you have a great blog ^ ^
you want to follow each other?
follow me and let me know with a comment
and follow you too :))


kisses
http://lemonchicbeautyfashion.blogspot.it/

Lynn said...

Thank you for sharing these great pics. I have been to Vancouver but only for a short stop so there was a lot that I didn't have time to see. I would love to return to the area once again.

Maggee said...

What a nice tour you shared with us! Wish I had time to visit all these great places we have in our world! Hugs!