Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Contemplation

I have been off work now for a little over two weeks and I've had the luxury of time to breathe, time to nap, time to contemplate!  

Before I left work I had planned things to do for my first week off (clever, eh?). I had scheduled get togethers with some friends I had worked with many years ago just to get back in touch. It was fun. We all laughed that we were grayer and a little wider!  I was back in the loop, so to speak, regarding what everyone we worked with was now doing. 

Fast forward a few days and I get an email forwarded to a group of us who had worked together to let us know that one of the guys we had worked with had died, and very suddenly.  It was like there was a giant intake of breath, a gasp of shock. This guy was probably my age with a son graduating from university just a few days after his death. It was tragic and oh so sad. 

Hence, my contemplation. Life is too short. I have passed through the midway mark and pondered how to make the best of the rest of my life. Something like this happens and you realize how fragile life can be. I am thankful I made the decision to take a break from work! I am thankful that I and those I love are all healthy.

I got out to the garden yesterday and spent a few hours tidying up. It felt good to be outside, hearing the birds doing what they do, even the crows with their annoying cawing! It is this sweet life, complete with annoyances so just you do not fall in love too much with it!
I got my veggies planted and added a few flowers to brighten things up! 
Adjacent to the previous photo is another corner of the backyard.
The above shows astrantia and a Charles de Mill rose. I contrived the photo by dipping the rose into the picture! (It's like the kid who peeks his face in just as you click the camera!)

Now, here's a photo of my current stitching. I started this BAP after Christmas but knew immediately that I was in no shape to plod through it so only had about three of those strawberries done in the border. She's big and she's BRIGHT! Whoa - she is much brighter than the photo shows! 

Just for fun - can you guess what I am stitching? Maybe I won't mention the name of it until someone guesses the right answer! ;-)
Two posts in less than a week - surprises abound! Thanks for stopping by and I do appreciate every comment! Happy Stitching!

19 comments:

Giovanna said...

No, not a clue :-) But it's a great start... I'm so sorry about your colleague, it's pretty hard when it hits someone your age. My sympathy to his family.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I love hearing other stitcher's thoughts on life Melissa, it's so true that life is short. Since my husband was unwell almost ten years ago we have lived with the philosophy that you don't take anything for granted and you are so right when you say that life is fragile.

Laura said...

My sincerest condolences. That is a beautiful sampler you are doing (no clue either and I peeked at Hoffman's & 123 & couldn't find it :(

Love the colors to it and can't wait to watch your progress. Also, you have lovely garden photos too!

Laura

Catherine said...

Hhhmmmm.....not sure on the sampler, but it is lovely, as are your gardens!! You are so right about life ~ the world would be so much better if everyone slowed down and enjoyed the simple things.

Deb said...

I'm sorry about the man that you worked with! Things like that can certainly make you look at life differently and when you reach a certain age you know that changes need to be made to make yourself happier for the rest of the time you're on the earth. Slowing down and enjoying what makes you happy and letting go of the things that don't. Sometimes the things that you let go of are painful, but usually the right thing to do.

You're obviously getting a wonderful start with the garden - it looks wonderful. And I'm not sure about the sampler. It looks familiar - at least the border does, but I'm not sure

Carol said...

It's always so sad when someone so young dies. I'm glad you're able to take the time off this summer to reflect on life and the importance of the simple and little things that truly bring happiness, Melissa...

Your garden looks like it's off to a great start--pretty flowers, too!

No guess on the sampler--but the colors are so "you!"

Penny said...

Sorry to hear about your co-worker. A death does have a way of making you stop and think about what is really important. Glad you were able to do a little gardening - everything looks fabulous! Can't wait to find out what you are stitching. :)

Chris said...

No guesses here. It looks wonderful though, very summery.
I love your bird sampler finish too. Sorry I am so behind on blog reading.
So sorry for the loss of your colleague.
Your garden looks lovely.
Hugs!

Mii Stitch said...

No idea on the sampler but it's a lovely start!

Sharon said...

Sorry to hear about your co-worker. I recently lost both my father in law and his wife. Both within 2 weeks of each other. The unexpectedness is the worst I think.

Your sampler looks like Two Cheeky Sailors is my guess.

Margaret said...

What a shock for you and your co-workers at the loss of your fellow worker. So sorry -- it really does make you pause and realize how lucky you are. Your garden is beautiful! I have to say I have no clue what you are stitching. lol! Is it the -- darn I just looked and it wasn't. lol! Nope, no clue. :D Enjoy your time off. Smell those gorgeous flowers in your garden!

marly said...

So sorry about your friend. Things like that make us review priorities.

Lois said...

It is always such a shock when something like that happens and it makes you take stock of things.

Love your garden, our weather is nice one day, wet the next so it's very unpredictable.

As to the sampler, feel like I should know it but can't name it! Love how it's working up already!

Karoline said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, sudden events like that make all of us reevaluate our priorities.

Your garden is looking gorgeous & the sampler is lovely

Marie said...

Sampler???? :D which ever one you are stitching on will turn out beautiful!

It is such a shock when someone close passes so suddenly. My friends Mom, who happens to be a year older than I am, was sick for a month and recently diagnosed with cancer. She has had it a very difficult time with it, so scary.

You are quite the gardener ~ I am impressed!


Solstitches said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your co worker.
Lovely that you no longer have to go to work and have time to smell the flowers. You certainly have some beauties in your garden.
I have no clue about the sampler but I love the border.
Margaret

VALIE said...

Oh, lucky, lucky you, to be able to stay home and not get up in the small hours of the morning to go to work.
Hope you enjoy every single little bit of it.
Valie

Berit said...

I...can't guess!

But, your garden, and even "arranged" shot, looks lovely! :o

Brigitte said...

I've had a lot of these moments in my life, the worst being the ones when you hear about the death of one of your (former) students. That really shows you how short life can be. And how important it is to cherish every moment of it.

I have no idea what sampler you are stithcing on at the moment but it's a very beautiful one with all the reds that you have already used. I'm curious to learn which one it is.