Friday, 14 June 2013

A Finish and Summer Reading

Hello again! I'm so pleased to have a finish to report, and I have some summer reads to recommend. 

First, the finish - Bird in Bough by The Scarlet Letter.What a handsome bird! 

This was a fun stitch but I am looking forward to "the next exciting project"...So, what's next, you ask? I think I will go through my UFO's for my next one as I would like to get one or two of them finished! Stay tuned.

Now, for summer reading. Lately I have been fortunate to find some fun reads. 

(1) The Golem and the Jinni - fantasy, history, love story.  Love the book jacket! 
(2) The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow - magic realism, that's the genre. It's heart-warming and just made me feel like I've just had a big hug!

(3) The Rosie Project - this must be my favourite, filled with a very quirky character looking for a wife. It's quite funny and charming. 
The weather has turned rainy today but it's been so unsettled lately you can never tell what the weather will be like in a few hours. Here's a photo from the garden of our peonies in bloom a few days ago.
I'm hoping for some dry weather for Father's Day! Thanks for visiting and have a good weekend!

18 comments:

Vickie said...

That is a great stitch!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your finish is really neat and your blooms are so bonnie. I enjoy seeing what other people are reading, it's sometimes a good way to find a new author.

Margaret said...

I love your finish!!!!! Gorgeous!! You always stitch things I want to stitch -- but we already knew that. lol! You also read books I want to read. I have the Golem and the Jinni on my to-read list. I will have to look up the other two books too. Thanks for the recommendations!

Margaret said...

Ok, not fair! I am all interested in The Rosie Project -- and it's not out in the US yet!!!! :( Not till October. Oh well. I'll put it on my to read list.

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the lovely finish!

Ranae said...

I love your finish
I can't wait to see what next you finish
Happy stitching!!

Jonette said...

Beautiful!!! I recently got this chart and look forward to stitching it.

Penny said...

I've enjoyed watching you stitch this piece! Congratulations on a lovely finish! I've added it to my to be stitched list. :) And I always love your book recommendations. I'm thinking about trying number 2 first. :)

Annette-California said...

Bird in Brough is beautiful. Looking forward to your next project, which ever one:) love Annette. I will check out those books. Thanks for the tips.

Theresa said...

Love the bird!!!!! It is gorgeous!!!!!!

Brigitte said...

Ahhhh, it's finished. And looks absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations!
Seeing all the books here reminds me of the fact that I still owe you an email. It will follow today or tomorrow.
Thanks for all the lovely pictures of your flowers. The roses in your last post are so beautiful.

Andrea said...

Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

Carol said...

Your needle is really flying now that you have more free time, Melissa--your latest finish is so cute! Love the giant bird :)

I've never heard of any of those books so thanks for the recommendations. I'll bet you're looking forward to more reading time this summer.

Anne said...

What an enchanting finish Melissa!!!That bird is very handsome. I'm so happy that you can relax and stitch...I will be there with you soon! Thanks for the great book recommendations. I'll have to check those out this summer! My Nana's peonies have bloomed and I just love them. So beautiful.

Hugs!

Catherine said...

Such a great finish! Thanks for the book updates ~ my group is always lookin for that next good read!

Mii Stitch said...

Lovely finish & great peonies picture! They are my favourite flowers! Mine are all on the ground, their blooms are so big, they can't support their own weight!!

Lois said...

A lovely finish Melissa and those book suggestions look good. I'll have to see if I can find them here. Beautiful picture of your peonies too. Our weather is so changeable here at the moment as well.

Karoline said...

Gorgeous finish, congratulatons