Sunday, 5 May 2013

Happiness is...

...represented by many different things, depending on circumstances, mood, season and all the endless possibilities in life. Grab a cuppa as this will be one of my longer posts in a long while. There will be lots of photos and some stories too. 

Today, Happiness looks like this:

(1) Picking up a couple of beauties from my framer
The first one is Sarah's House from Blackbird Designs. 

The photos above are darker than the what it looks like in real life. It turned out much prettier than I'd expected! 

The next piece is Mary Ann Myers from Little House Needleworks.  
Originally I had a frame at home I'd wanted to re-use. It had a deep green tone like as in the alphabet. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the frame was too narrow so I had to find a new frame. However, I really like how this distressed white frame looks with Mary Ann. It totally lightens the mood of the piece and makes it much more playful.
The bit of sad news about the framing is that my framer is going out of business! I caught her in her last days. She is hoping to be hired elsewhere so that she can keep working. I do hope so! She's been in business over 20 years and I've gone to her for all of my framing! 

2) the latest kit from The Lady's Prim Club arrived in the mail this week! Check this out! 
I love this piece! So pretty! This club is hosted at Dyeing to Stitch

3) We have just had our first hit of early summer weather! Talk about getting high on sunshine! On Monday we had sun but also wind and it was chilly! It gradually warmed up during the week so this weekend we are in the 23C/73F weather zone - perfect! 

Here are some scenes from our garden last weekend...
 The above is shot from our back lane, complete with aged and rickety fence! Love all the bluebells. I like the little bit of 'wild' in the lane.
The photo above is our boy's food patch in its second season. When he returned from Germany, for some reason, he asked if he could have a little patch to grow vegetables. So we dug up this patch. The swiss chard is from last year! There is an artichoke that was planted last year but didn't produce anything. However the plant survived and maybe this year will be better. There are also 2 blueberry bushes. He has already planted seeds in the beds and you can see little carrot ferns coming up in the foreground. 
This is a stump of an old apple tree. We took down the tree a few years ago. For some reason this last year it's gotten these (fungi?) things growing on the side. Looks really cool, I'd thought! 

4) A Decision made based on honouring myself, instead of pleasing others.  Huh, you ask? Well, without going into great gory details it's about my work situation.  I have been working long hours, putting a lot of myself to accomplish a lot of good which was acknowledged with appreciation. However, it was not enough to remove the constant possibility of always being let go with one week's notice for one reason or another. I decided then not to renew my contract after May. 

Happiness is finally making up one's mind, knowing from where that decision has come from, and stepping into the unknown future without fear. Already I feel a bit lighter having made that decision.

5) My favourite little primula. I've had this pretty little plant for many, many years. Finally last year I divided it, keeping my fingers crossed that the division will take. This year, yes, I am rewarded with more flowers than ever!
Well, that's me for another post! I'm heading out to play in the garden soon. One of the  pleasures of being in the garden is to hear the many different birds with their songs. We have a nesting pair of chicadees again this year in our little bird house! It's always interesting to watch and listen to them as they go through their rituals.

Thank you for visiting my little corner. I hope you are enjoying some lovely weather as well. Have a wonderful week!

27 comments:

Lianne said...

Melissa,

Gory details not required (think I understand completely.....), but I am wishing for the best for you and that you will continue to be at peace with your decision.

Your finishes are gorgeous! I am sad to hear your framer is going out of business, hopefully she can settle nearby and you will be able to continue to have her look after your work - they are beautiful.

Have a great week,
Lianne

Margaret said...

First off, good for you for making that decision and going for it. Good luck with everything -- I hope you can find work that treats you better and isn't so stressful for many reasons.

Love your framing!! What a bummer that your framer is closing. :( Do you know where you will go for framing now? I hope you have another place to go. These pieces look so wonderful -- love both frames! I don't need to see the Prim Sisters club piece so I'm not looking. Too late... lol! How fun that your DS is enjoying gardening and growing veggies and fruit! Like mother like son? :D Your primula is gorgeous! The only reason I recognize it is because of an Emma Bridgewater mug I saw once. lol! So pretty! I might need to buy that mug -- it's the closest I'll come to having primula. lol!

Beth said...

Your newest framed finishes are charming. I like the stitch n gingham - very cool. I am impressed that you have a primula (an auricula) growing outside - they are usually tender hothouse plants - you must have a touch!

Catherine said...

Congrats on making a decision for yourself! Good luck with everything. I love your framing choices!! They are perfect for your beautiful stitches. Lovely photos of your gardens ~ we finally got out and cleaned up some of our beds today. Some have been neglected too long die to the boys crazy baseball schedules!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Good for you for making your decision and being at peace with the decision. Good things will come your way.
Loved the photos of your garden... we've finally warmed up a bit and with all the rain/snow we've had the gardens are starting to come to life.
Your framed pieces look wonderful and the new kit you rec'd looks like a fun stitch.

Cathy B said...

Thank for sharing so many beautiful things...your samplers, signs of Spring, and beautiful flowers!

Glenna said...

Good for you on your decision--I certainly understand. Love love the framing, the primula, the little flower lane, and your boy's food patch.

Laura said...

Your frames are absolutely stunning!!!!! Love all of the garden pics too!

I am sure that you feel good about your decision...It is very empowering. Wishing you the best as you move forward!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Sounds to me like you've made the right decision, Melissa. You sound at peace with it and that's the biggest thing.

Your finishes, as always, are gorgeous!

Your garden is fantastic and I look forward to seeing your beautiful blooms, every year. Love the little purple flower whose name I've already forgotten but will add to my shopping list.

Have a great week ahead!

marly said...

Great finishes. You know what's best for your mind and body and it sounds like you made the right decision.

Annette-California said...

You do sound like your at peace with your decision - GOOD for you! Your frames are incredible - they show off your samplers beautifully!!! bet you'll be much happier this week at work:) love Annette

Lois said...

You will feel so much better having taken that decision about work - good for you!
Lovely framing and, given the lack of good framers here, I totally understand how you feel about losing your framer. Hopefully she'll find somewhere else to work that is convenient for you to go too. The pieces all look wonderful!
The temps are slowly starting to rise here, not by much, but gradually the trees are starting to turn green and things are in bud. It's been such a late Spring here this year.

P.J. said...

Thank you for sharing all your happiness. Kudos to you for making the decision for YOU. Your framed pieces are just lovely! I look forward to seeing the Song of Spring coming together, pretty colors. May your sons garden provide a good bounty. :)

Mii Stitch said...

Lovely finishes! The distress frame looks really good x

Katrina said...

Glad you have made a decision on the job that gives you peace :-).

Gorgeous framed pieces too!!!!!! I love the BBD piece, I have it started and it's somewhere in my bag...

Melody said...

Good for you on your decision. Those big ones are hard to make. But it must be right for you since you feel relief.

Lovely stitching pieces.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

i wish you the best of luck on your new path - your finishes are lovely, i especially like the BBD one, a must stitch for me now : )

Carol said...

I know that must have been a difficult decision, Melissa, but I think you made the right choice. You have been so stressed out and not really enjoying your job that much so why not look for something new. You have so much talent and experience, that I know you'll find a new position in no time :)

Every time I see your framed samplers, I ask myself, why, oh why, haven't I stitched larger things? (because I have the attention span of a flea these days!!) They are all so stunning--how I would love to see them in person on your sampler walls...

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Excellent choices on your frame selections. The flowers in your garden are beautiful

Andrea said...

Love the framing. Your bluebells are gorgeous and I love the old tree stump.

We live only once so you might as well enjoy it! Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Giovanna said...

Wonderful framing, congrats!

Anne said...

Melissa! Your framed pieces are stunning! You always pick the perfect frames. So sad to hear that your framer is closing her business. If she was closer I would have gone to her. Hopefully she will find employment soon. Stunning photos of your garden. We have been so blessed with a gorgeous week of summer-like weather, although the cooling down is nice too. Glad to hear you are honouring yourself and opting for happiness. I'm sure everything will work out in the end for you.

Hugs

Anne

Giovi's Creations said...

Your framed finishes are very nice, and your flowers too :) But I think the most important thing is your personal decision, the balance between personal and professional life. You must feel very proud of you. Congrats!

Giovi

Karoline said...

I hope that your decision works out & that you can find another position that is a good fit

Your framing is gorgeous, I feel your pain about your framer. Good framers round here are like gold dust.

Sharon said...

Beautiful framing Melissa!

Marie said...

Your work always inspires me. Congrats on two beautiful finishes.
Wow, the primula is so pretty. I am terrible with plants so hearing that you had it for many years shocks me.

Brigitte said...

You seem to be happy with your decision and so it is a good one. I wish yo all the best of luck, maybe you'll find ajob where their appreciation for your work will have positive consequences for your position.

Your framer has done a fantastic job!