Sunday, 21 April 2013

Mary Ann is ready for her close-ups!

Surprise! This time, it didn't take me a 5 month absence to finish a piece and post!  Here is Mary Ann Myers 1867 from Little House Needleworks








I was greatly relieved to finally get her finished yesterday.  You will notice that I made some changes. I didn't stitch a couple of branches or leaves above the white flower in the center. I also couldn't stand stitching the over-one's. It's the equivalent of nails on the blackboard for me. I had wondered what to do. In the end, I finished her name and date and fudged the rest with the little diamonds.  I figured there is enough stress in my life right now and besides, stitching is meant to be fun. 

I am very pleased with how she turned out. Next weekend I will take her to the framer's and it will probably be another week or two before I get her back, so I am guaranteed some material for posting in May!

Yes, I have continued to be extremely busy with work. I will say no more of that for now, other than I think of that children's story of the little train "I think I can, I think I can, I know I can!" Chug-chug-chug I go. When I finish this post, I will be on my other (work) computer and do a few hours before I go to bed! 

I have been absent on blog-land and occasionally peek into your blogs. I just want to say a general thank-you for all those who keep on stitching and posting! It's lovely to see all your wonderful creations! Speaking of which, here's my latest obsession: 

This is Sarah Chapple 1831 from Shakespeare's Peddlar. I borrowed this photo from her site. I Love this! This is totally me.  

If you are thinking "how is she going to stitch all those over one's if she hates them?" Well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I am thinking of hunting around for other shorter verses so I can stitch over two. (And, if you are wondering, I do use a magnifier.)

Well, that's at least one post for me for April! Thank you for visiting! Have a wonderful week!

29 comments:

Keeper of the Crowes said...

It's beautiful, Melissa. Can't wait to see it framed. I love the new Sarah chapple sampler, as well. It's just stunning.

Katrina said...

How lovely, I love the colours Melissa :)

Margaret said...

What a beautiful finish! I just love how it came out! And yes, I'm obsessed by that sampler too. lol! I wonder if we can trust Theresa to have charted it correctly this time? And if the colors are accurate to the piece. Are you buying it? I may have to break down and get it. Good luck with work -- sounds like you're working hard.

Rita said...

Beautiful stitching!

I love Sarah Chapple too. Good luck with the over one.

samplerlover said...

Oh this is beautiful. Sarah Chapple looks really lovely. I think that it's me as well :).

Karen said...

I am not a big LHN fan, but love this one on the gingham fabric. Very nice finish.

happy stitching on your next...

Deb said...

That is such a beautiful finish. I really love the blues in it and also the fabric. I would have never thought to use that kind of fabric, but it's just wonderful.

I love that new sampler from SP too. I'm not an over one stitcher at all, but I had to with Ann Smith and I'm happy to report that I actually like doing it because of the look when finished. A magnifier can become your friend in short order!!

Mouse Droppings Fine Folk Art said...

Hi Melissa happy Spring! Love your completed sampler...especially the colors. hugs Susan

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Miss Myers is beautiful, Melissa and I love the fabric you stitched her on. I can't wait to see your frame choice. I thought about you when I saw Sarah Chapple. I love all those pinks and the house scene is stunning. I'm a little put off by SP right now cause I heard such horror stories about her last chart. I hope this one is better because it's right up my alley, too.

marly said...

Beautiful finish. What a great solution to the over one torture! I reject so many samplers because of it and never thought to just do another verse. Thanks.

Laurie in Iowa said...

Congrats on your sweet finish.

Theresa said...

What a gorgeous finish!!!!!!! These colors are soooo beautiful!!!!

Cole said...

Gorgeous!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I so agree with what you said about over one stitching. I can't stand it either and invariably substitute something else. It seems to be popping up more and more though. Your finish is very pretty Melissa.

Mii Stitch said...

Congrats on your lovely finish Melissa! It looks superb, I love the fabric & the colours & your little modifications too x

Vickie said...

So pretty! Great job.

Nicki said...

It looks gorgeous! Congratulations :) And I love the other one as well - that will be fantastic too.

Lois said...

Lovely finish Melissa! The fabric works so well with the blues and cream. This is one I hadn't taken much notice of but now, your finish has made me want to stitch it. I'm not too big on over one stitching either or, should I say, over one frogging! That's my worst nightmare if there's going to lots of over one - the thought I might make a mistake! Good to finally get the chance to drop by your blog again. Good luck with work.

Evik said...

Melissa, congratulations on the finishing of Mary Ann! I'm awesome!

Big hugs
Eva

Carol said...

I know I've said it before, Melissa, but you always pick the pretties samplers! I just love this one so, so much and that is saying a lot, because I'm not a huge sampler fan! I'm so glad you are finding time to stitch with your busy, busy work schedule... Hang in there!!

Marie said...

Congrats on such a stunning finish, I look forward to seeing it framed!

Giovanna said...

Congratulations on the wonderful finish.

valerie said...

What a pretty, pretty sampler finish Melissa! All the blues and the gingham really pull this piece together. Can't wait to see it framed! I am wavering on the new SP. I love the house scene at the bottom and the border but that's all. I can make a modified smaller sampler but am already struggling to get any stitching done. Hope work isn't too too crazy for you. Good you find time to stitch here and there!

Andrea said...

A beautiful finish. Can't wait to see what frame you choose.

Anne said...

Melissa! So glad to hear from you! (Happy Birthday by the way :D ) Mary is a stunning sampler. I really love the birds and the basket in this sampler. Your next sampler is definitely drool worthy. Hmm, yet another one to add to my ever growing list of samplers to stitch! I've been crazily busy to with work. Sounds like we both need some balance in our lives.

Big hugs to you :D

Brigitte said...

It's always so nice to read a new post from you. I have been absent from posting and blog reading myself and just started reading a little bit here and there yesterday.
Congratulations on finishing that beautiful LHN sampler. It looks great - also without the over one. I'm like you when it comes to over one, I just can't enjoy it. There is only one thing that I even like less - Queen stitches, lol. Your new project looks so attractive, too. Enjoy it!

Karoline said...

Mary Ann is gorgeous, congratulations

Elisabetta said...

Your stitch Sarah Chapple is really gorgeous it takes my breath away!!!!

Catherine said...

Love this finish ~ will have to add it to my wish list! And your new like ~ a biggie, but beautiful!