Sunday, 3 February 2013

Fabulous February (?)

January was "J-J-Jarring", what with having to return to work after almost two weeks off. I am hoping February will be FABulous! First, there is Chinese New Year next Sunday, followed by a stat day off due to the first Family Day ever in our province, and then Valentine's day (think Chocolates!).  So, I reckon February will have some FABulous moments!
I finished Sarah's House, by Blackbird Designs. Here she is in all her prettiness!


Now, I think someone asked me what colours I used for the flower buds in the border. First of all, I used all the recommended silks. The flower buds in the original design had 2 colours that made up each flower bud and were very pale.  I decided to use one colour instead and wanted the colours to show up. I alternated between BS Rustique and BS Angel Blush.  

For the flowers in the basket, which had called for Rustique, I substituted BS Paprika which just added another dimension of colour to the design.  The two greens that were used in the grass section were very close in colour so I just pulled out a paler blue to make that stand out more (the two patches on the grass).  

Hope that makes sense. If you have more questions, just email me.

All in all, I am very pleased with this finish, especially as this is my first finish in nearly SIX months!  I can't believe that neither.

Now, I had every intention of starting a new project today but I got waylaid by this book! I started reading it last night and I couldn't put it down.  With the title "Snow White must Die" it intrigued me from the start. It is a very interesting mystery with a lot of characters and back stories. It's the first book translated from German into English though when I researched it, it's not the first book in the series which is the disappointing part. 

Switching gears slightly, this book is hilarious (photo below). I bought it a week ago and it sits by my bedside table. It's especially handy to read something funny at the end of the day, although, I must admit, some of it is just sad (appalling customer behaviour) but such is Life.
It is just after 3pm here and now I must head off and try and prepare linens for my next project(s). Of course, the deciding which is always the hard part as the projects jostle amongst themselves vying for my attention. 

Each project states its case to me - "ooooh, look at all my reds you know you love Red!" Another says "no, don't get fooled, look at all the over ones, you know you dread them, look at me, straight forward over twos, I will make your stitching so much more enjoyable."  ...and on and on they jibber jabber at me!  You'll just have to wait till next week to see who's the winner! 

Thanks for your visits and your comments! Have a lovely week!

25 comments:

Karen said...

Very pretty finish! happy stitching....

Faye said...

Your color substitutions look very nice!!! You should be very proud of this gorgeous finish..... Happy dance!!!

Glenna said...

Sarah's Hosue is fabulous--perfect for February!

Giovanna said...

A wonderful finish (also in my stash and screaming loudly, incidentally...) - big congrats to you, and looking forward to seeing your next project. Love the debate :-)

Lianne said...

Sarah's House is gorgeous! Congratulations on your finish, I am sure you feel great!

I have to agree with your comments about projects jabbering at you. I have a basket of them, they lure me in when I should be stitching. The urge to begin a serial starter is very overwhelming at times... but more than one project on the go just isn't for me.... Good luck choosing, can't wait to see which one it will be!

Have a great week,
Lianne

Laurie in Iowa said...

Congrats on your finish...Sarah's House is beautiful.

Catherine said...

Beautiful finish!

Cathy B said...

Sarah's House looks great. Please share another photo once it is framed!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Choosing is the fun part Melissa, so many possibilities. The book looks interesting - I might give it a go.

Chris said...

Sarah is gorgeous! Suc a pretty finish.
That book looks funny. Having worked in a bookstore I can just imagine!
I know that you will com up with the perfect next thing to stitch.
Have a great week!

Maggee said...

February IS a great month, since my birthday is this coming Friday! Sarah's House is just so beautiful! You did a great job! I look forward to seeing it framed someday! Hugs!

Margaret said...

Such a beautiful finish! I love it so much. Thanks for your tips on what colors you used. That book sounds interesting. I hope most of it is fun as opposed to annoying customers.

Katrina said...

Very pretty finish!!!!! Thanks for sharing your color changes.

Stitchinowl said...

Beautiful finish! Thanks for the book recommendation - it looks interesting.
Carolyn

Deb said...

I think that your finish is wonderful and I'll have to make note of your changes because I really like what you did.

I'll have to look into that book too - I love books like that. Kind of like those bathroom readers - it's always good to have a chuckle during the day.

valerie said...

I just love your calendar! February is a pretty watercolor. Congrats on your Sarah's House finish. It's gorgeous!I always think the hardest part is starting a new project. Figuring out what to stitch, finding all the supplies, measuring, centering on the fabric. Once all that is done...than I am good to go! Can't wait to see what your new start is.

Anne said...

I love your calendar Melissa. I think I have to scout for one for myself!! I think February will be fabulous too for us both..I hope! Congrats on your finish! The colours are so soft and pretty. I really like the rosebud colour you chose. I think I will have to get that book for a good laugh! If someone asked me that question...I would smack them!! Or at least I would run through the smack in my head :D

Hugs

Anne

Siobhán said...

Such a fantastic finish, Melissa! Great job!

Giovi's Creations said...

Is a really beautiful finish! Congrats from Barcelona! Giovi

Andrea said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish.

Melody said...

Beautiful finish. The book looks funny. I will have to see if I can get my hands on a copy...

Teresa S. said...

Beautiful finish, keep up the good work!

Brigitte said...

Oh my, so so beautiful, your finish. Congratulations, particularly because it's the first finish after a long time!
Oh yes, I also know the feeling that I have when looking for a new project. There are always many that attract me so much that I feel the urge to start them all at once. And sometimes I do, I can't help it, lol.

I didn't know that Nele Neuhaus' mysteries are being translated now into English. I know the first two of the series and I really loved them. They are definitely captivating.

Sharon said...

Congrats on a stunning finish!

Lois said...

Gorgeous finish!! I'm seeing this one in a new light now!