Sunday, 24 February 2013

Checking in with Miss Mary Ann

As I type this, it's late Sunday afternoon. It is POURING rain outside. We had a magical day of sun (and wind that blew the clouds away) yesterday; now 'tis but a dream.

I have made some progress on Miss Mary Ann Myers but not as much as I would've liked. I will tell you why in a minute. For now, I'll let the photos speak for themselves.




Isn't that the oddest looking flower in the basket? It's supposed to have two green things coming out from the top. Maybe they are supposed to be branches. I'm skipping them for now as I'm not sure I like them.  Other than that, I think she is such a pretty design! 

Thank you for all your kind wishes in your last post. I was feeling awful for awhile. A lot was due to the fact that I might lose my work and it turned out to be true last Monday - they cancelled my project. *sigh* So, it was a lot of waiting and worrying to hear that news.  At least when the decision finally came then I could start looking for other work.

The oddest came on Thursday though. Because I had a few days' notice I was scheduling good-bye coffees or lunches with people. Out of the blue I decided to schedule a coffee with someone I'd worked with years ago (at the same company) and she said "this is weird to hear from you, since as of last evening, someone had to quit on my project, are you interested in the work?" 

So, I am back on the horse, so to speak, and I've been told I will be very busy for the next few weeks! How funny things turned out!

Here's something else that will make you laugh. In the wee hours of this morning, I had gotten up as I couldn't sleep (not uncommon). I usually just go sit on the couch and read and usually that will help me sleep for a couple of hours. I dreamed. 

I dreamed this most wonderful technicolour dream. We had moved to live in a place that was part of a resort. There was waterfall, there were gorgeous sunsets, and you know what was my thought while I was dreaming? I have to take photos and blog about this!!! True. Then I thought I would have to invite you all to come and visit me in this island paradise. In the dream I really felt like I was there, you know that kind of dream? When I woke, I was a bit disappointed.  I wondered why I had that dream. Then I saw the scarve that I bought yesterday to brighten my otherwise grey rainy days. 

See what I mean?
Have you noticed any upcoming Nashville releases that you like? I have! I am always looking forward to seeing new releases from market. Actually, I await them with both excitement and dread. The dread part is only how much of a hit my piggy-bank will or can take! 

Have a wonderful week! Remember there is still time to enter the February giveaway in my last post! 
 

21 comments:

Margaret said...

I love your Mary Ann! Yes, that flower is a bit odd. But it's still gorgeous! That is so bizarre about your loss of joband finding of job!! Wow!!! I'm so glad that worked out! Love that dream you had. I do think that scarf was the inspiration. So pretty! We're going to have gloomy days this week. Sigh.

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Knowing you still have a job will allow a little more market stash. Love those birds on Mary Ann. That scarf is a beauty and definitely could inspire a dream. CJ in OK

Laurie in Iowa said...

Your Mary Ann looks wonderful... even with the weird bit on the flower.
Congrats on landing a new job so quickly... it's funny how some things work out.

Glenna said...

I missed your last post, and I'm so glad to hear that your job loss resolved itself! I'm hoping this new job will be wonderful, or at least tolerable! Love the scarf, and yes, I've occasionally had one of those dreams... I'd love to see what you want from Nashville. I haven't followed the sneak peaks very closely, but I suspect I'll succumb to something or other! I love the flowers and birds in your project!

Catherine said...

I love the birds on this piece!
So glad things worked out for you with work ~ such stressful times!
I am afraid there are going to be too many I will like released soon....I will have to buy a little at a time and somehow find more hours in the day to stitch everything!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What good timing that was Melissa, I'm glad things worked out okay for you. I just love the colours in your new scarf, it's so rich and vibrant.

Annette-California said...

I believe there are no Consequences. And you still moved forward and that led to your finding work, without trying to. Hope that makes sense:) Lovely progress on Mary Ann - the birds are very pretty & LOVE your fabric the gingham. Hope your feeling better. love Annette

Chris said...

So glad to hear that the work situation worked out ok.
I love your current project. The colors are lovely.
Sounds like a great dream and that is a gorgeous scarf.

Mii Stitch said...

Oooh, lovely colours on your cross stitch! This is a really nice design ;)

Siobhán said...

I'm glad things worked out with work--talk about a serendipitous cup of coffee! ;)

Love the progress on your sampler! The colors are so pretty.

There are a few things coming out at Market that I want--I can't wait to see what Little by Little, etc., has coming out.

Giovanna said...

Your sampler WIP is so pretty - love it on that gingham fabric. Congrats on finding a new job so quickly, what a wonderful turn of events.

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Oh my goodness, Melissa, this sampler is so pretty. I just love the colors. I'm very happy that you were able to find a job so quickly, especially with Market just around the corner!!!!

Vickie said...

What a wonderful blessing and right on time the new job is!
Lovely WIP.

Mouse Droppings Fine Folk Art said...

Hello Melissa...glad to hear things are Ok in your world...losing a job and then finding one right away...such a blessing for you! Your sampler is beautiful and favorite colors too! I like the plaid background as well. This rain sucks but we have been lucky to have some sunny breaks...lets hope we get more sunshiny days soon! Hugs Susan

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Your progress on Mary Ann is just lovley! I love the fabric you're stitching her on, too. I am so happy about your chance luncheon leading to a new job - a very serendipitous meeting, I'd say!
As I was reading about your dream, I could see the colors in the scarf and was thinking, the colors in it sound like your dream. The dream was nice but I love the scarf!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

I know exactly what you mean about dreams like that. It does make you wonder where they comefrom. I'm glad things turned around for you like that. You know what they say about doors closing and windows opening and all that.

Karoline said...

Mary Ann is looking gorgeous, great progress

Glad you were able to turn the job situation round so quickly

Carol said...

I love this one more every time I see it, Melissa. I'm not much of a sampler stitcher, but this is really calling my name--weird flower and all :)

I love it when serendipity plays a roll in the paths our lives follow... It must have been meant to be that you called up that old coworker for a coffee date. I wish you the best of luck in your new project--you will look especially fetching in that gorgeous scarf!!

valerie said...

Mary Ann looks wonderful! I love her outlined flowers. And what luck! I can't believe you lost a job to find another so quickly through a friend. Total serendipity. I love it when wonderfully surprising things happen that way. Your scarf is beautiful. Definitely a spirit lifter on gloomy days. No wonder you had funky dreams. It seems like it's been raining a lot near you. I think I could use some rain. The weather has been so nice that all I've done is play and I haven't stitched or done any of my responsibility tasks.

Maggee said...

Congrats on landing a job so quickly! It's not a friendly world for unemployed peoples. Miss Mary Ann looks great... the fabric is great! Hugs!

Lynn said...

I really love the colour scheme in your sampler. It just speaks to me for some reason so I'm really enjoying your progress.
How wonderful that you found work again so quickly! It was meant to be.
I love your colourful scarf and can see why it might have caused such a vivid dream.