Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Welcoming in the New Year!

It is getting to be late afternoon here on what was a dry, cold, misty and bright day! Essentially it was a celebration NOT to have rain today!

This is from my new calendar. Again, this year, the calendar is from artist Masha D'yans - love her art work. 

As to my stitching, third time was the charm and here is my start on Sarah's House by Blackbird Designs.
 

You can see that I chose to add more colours to the flower buds than what was charted. We shall see how I like the effect as I go.  If you are stitching this one, just know that the border is uneven so I had to do a lot of counting and re-counting!

Tomorrow I will be back to the office. I have had a lovely relaxing break from work and that was just what I needed the most. Hopefully, I will be able to continue stitching and blogging, even if at a slower pace rather than take a 5 month blogging break! Yikes that was not good!

Here is a rose still in bloom in our garden. It is the Leander rose from David Austin.
Thank you for visiting with me. One of the things I will be doing this month is to host a giveaway (multiple items), so watch this space!  Happy 2013!

21 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's lovely to see a flash of colour in the garden at this time of year. We have no remnants of flowers this year. At this time each year I look forward to the snowdrops appearing.

barbara said...

I like the additional colors in the flowers around the border - very nice touch!

Best wishes for a happy 2013!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Your border flowers look lovely with that extra bit of color.

Deb said...

I think that your border flowers are going to add just the right amount of color to this sampler. They're really pretty.

The rose from your garden is beautiful too. It's nice to see some color in the winter time.

Margaret said...

I'm glad you found the perfect project to get you back stitching again. Love this piece! Hope work treats you well. DH is going back to work tomorrow too. Love that rose! Happy New Year!

Catherine said...

You calendar looks very cool! Love your stitching start ~ great start! And your rose photo ~ beautiful!! Love the gate in the background ~ the whole pic just took my eye!
Have a wonderful New Years!

Deborah said...

Great start. Love the added colors to the border.

Chris said...

Happy New Year Melissa!
Lovely new start, sounds like that border is really pesky. I like your solor change for the buds.

Brigitte said...

Your new start looks great, particularly with the changes on the flowers you made.

Vickie said...

Roses?! Now?!? Wow. I like the touch of color you have added.

Lianne said...

I am glad to see you settled on a new start - it looks great!

You are so lucky, Roses in January!! If I could have that and snow too, all would be right in the world (I guess I am just a crazy Canadian,,,, I love snow and Winter!!!)

All the best with your return to work. I will be looking for your posts, whenever they come ;-))

Siobhán said...

Great start on the border!

I enjoyed your favorite reads post. I am eagerly waiting for the library to get in Tell the Wolves I'm Home. I also didn't realize there was a #4 in the Brodie series! I'll have to look into that!

Happy new year to you and yours, Melissa.

Loraine said...

I love this sampler Melissa. It looks like a fun stitch.
I'm glad you had a wonderful break from work. It's just what the soul needs now and again.
Happy New Year! Can't wait to see more stitching this year.

Annette-California said...

Great calendar, love your BBD sampler. Oh and your Rose is Beautiful...Happy New Year to you Melissa. love Annette ps yes its great to see you back.

Giovanna said...

Oh that's so lovely! A happy stitchy 2013 to you!

Penny said...

I love the extra color in the flower buds! Glad you enjoyed your break and glad to see you back! :)

Karoline said...

Happy new year Melissa, Sarah's House is looking lovely, great new start

Sharon said...

I am stitching Sarah's House! That border drove me nuts and I think I am still off by one. But, I have made it work-LOL Yours looks great!

Solstitches said...

Lovely start on Sarah's House.
I'm never brave enough to tinker with colour substitutions but your flower buds look very pretty.
Looking forward to seeing more of this lovely sampler.
Margaret

valerie said...

Happy New Year! Love your new start and so nice to see a spot of color in the garden after all the recent rain!

Suzanne said...

Lovely new start and nice change of colours.