Sunday, 30 December 2012

Favourite reads of 2012

I am trying to get back into the habit of blogging. I decided a good topic would be sharing some of my favourite reads this year, as I've done in previous years. 

I limited the favourites to Ten!
  1. The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman - a sad but beautiful story and one that makes you think about what YOU would do under those same circumstances. Often life's rights and wrongs are not so black and white. We can do right by one person but wrong by another. In the end we all have to face consequences of our actions. Got me quite teary, this one.
  2. Tell the Wolves I'm home by Carol Rifka Brunto - what is love? Is it one flavour or many? This story about Junie and her story surrounding her beloved uncle Finn, before and after his death. I was very touched by this one.
  3. The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman - ahhh, I see my theme here, another book where love plays a key role. It's WWII and a young Jewish couple falls in love, then married only to be separated by the German invasion of Czechoslovakia. The description of the Prague is beautiful. I love the ending of this book.
  4. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey - with the wintery weather, this would be the perfect book to really imagine the story to life!
  5. The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon - this story reminded me of The Help in some ways as it deals with prejudice. In this case, how society used to treat mentally handicapped people. The story is set in the 1960's.  I listened to the audio version ready by Kate Reading. 
  6. Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin - well, thank you Mr Rankin for bringing back Rebus! I was overjoyed to see Rebus' return and he is in fine form.  For those who know the series I am sure you will agree!
  7. When will there be Good News by Kate Atkinson - this is Jackson Brodie #3 and I did read #4 as well. I love this series!
  8. The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen - this is the second in the (Crime/mystery) series translated into English. I can't wait for the next one. I like the development of the characters.
  9. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - I talked about this one almost a year ago as I'd read it in January. This is a biography of a remarkable man who survived WWII on the Pacific side.
  10. My Berlin Kitchen by Luisa Weiss - loved this. Luisa has a blog and this is a memoir and cookbook.  
That's it for this post and it will be the final post for 2012.


Thank you for all your support of me and this little blog. Wishing you Good Cheer for a Happy, Stitchy-fun-filled New Year! 

17 comments:

Catherine said...

Thanks for your reviews ~ it is always nice to see what someone else has read and enjoyed! Have a wonderful new year!

Giovanna said...

Have a great new year!

Hazel said...

Nice reviews! Happy new year! X

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Happy New Year when it comes Melissa. I hope you can continue to blog in 2013.

Carol said...

Loved reading your reviews, Melissa, although the only 2 I've read from your list are #1 and #9--loved them both and oh, did I cry at the end of The Light Between Oceans. Unfortunately, I listened to it and could barely understand the narrator who had an Australian accent... Really struggled and almost stopped several times, but I'm glad I stuck it out :)

Wishing you and your family a most happy New Year!

Deb said...

I love book reviews and I've written down the books that you mentioned. I'm always looking for new ones to read.

Happy New Year!

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Thank you Melissa for all the great books. I'm downloading The Lost Wife as soon as I'm done here. Oh my goodness, that is just the cutest little piece! Love the frame!
Linda

barbara said...

Oh thank you for the list and reviews! Just lately, I can't seem to settle on anything decent to read and it has me feeling all at loose ends.

Laurie in Iowa said...

Thanks for sharing your book list and reviews. Happy New Year!

valerie said...

Happy New Year Melissa! :)

Theresa said...

Thanks for the reviews~~
Wishing you a wonderful new year!!!!!

Chris said...

Happy New Year Melissa!
What a wonderful list of books!

Margaret said...

Always love seeing what you've enjoyed reading. I've been thinking about reading a couple of the books on your list. Guess I should read them! Loved "Tell the Wolves I'm Home" and "The Lost Wife!"

Happy New Year!

Mouse Droppings Fine Folk Art said...

Happy New Year Melissa...I to hope we can meet sometime...lets promise ourselves that we will meet this year!!! Hugs Susan

Cornflower said...

Happy new year, Melissa! You have some good things in your list (I loved The Snow Child, for instance), and one or two others are in my TBR pile so I'm glad to hear they are something to look forward to.

Brigitte said...

I always love to read about books - although it's not good for my wish list because I always discover something that I probably would like, too, lol.
Kate Atkinson is one of the authors that I really love, and so is Adler-Olsen. His series is just great.

Solstitches said...

I love a good book recommendation and of these I have only read Light Between Oceans. Wow, I think that was my favourite book of 2012.
I am going to check out the others on your list.
Margaret