Followers

Monday, 6 August 2012

Summer's Here!

Hello, my dear stitchy friends! Thanks for your well wishes and emails about my new job start last week. I survived and am still smiling! It was  an exhausting week as you can well imagine after having months off work. In addition I am spending 2 hours each day on public transit and we are finally having very warm summer weather here! If we had a pool I am sure I would've walked into it each evening when I got home!  

As it was, I think I laid down on the yoga mat each evening and zoned out for half an hour or so to revive myself. Needless to say, very little stitching or anything else happened last week, including making a coherent sentence in the evenings! 



It is August, and the "dog days of summer", as they say, are here! It is also a provincial holiday today and that's why I am home and can blog. Thank goodness for a 3 day weekend to balance out my first week back to work!
I did pick up some framing so I can show you a new sampler wall! But steady on, let's look at the new pieces that I picked up. 
I love this first piece (above) for Nellie's Garden Revisited. Originally I had selected a brown frame but then I thought I would do the unexpected (as my framer noticed) and picked something fancier. I quite like it! 

The next piece (below) is Permit Me not to Stray by Heartstring Samplery.  I had picked out a really pretty frame then gulped at the price and had to scale down by choice. This one will do nicely!
I have a third piece, Elizabeth Savilles, but I will save it for next week's post as I don't know if I will have much stitching to show for awhile. 

However, we did manage to pull pieces together for our newest sampler wall. It is in a small corner of our living room, a dimly lit corner at that so it was difficult to take a good photo. Here it is. I call it my "Blonde Ambition Wall".
I do have a habit of moving my framed pieces around. I actually "stole" one piece from another sampler wall to complete this one. What do you think? 

On Saturday morning I was dressed almost all in white and my DH said let's take a photo of you under the banana tree. One click. We didn't realize my eyes were closed till today. Oh well. I was probably trying to catch up on my sleep! lol. The banana plants are loving the heat!

BTW, someone asked me if our banana plant has ever produced fruit. Well, last September it had flowered and it started to fruit up. However, as you can imagine, it was too late in the year so the fruits never made it but it was a first!

Here is a photo of part of the front garden. All I need is a dog smack dab in the centre of the lawn to complete the photo! ;-) 
Someone asked me where to purchase Little by Little charts. I could not answer your question as you did not have an email attached to your profile. The answer to your question, however, is that you can purchase them at Homespun Samplar.

Well, that's me for another post. Hope I can keep up posting weekly even if a little at a time. Thanks for your visit. I am hoping for the temperatures to cool a little around here too! Take care and have a wonderful week!

23 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Your framed pieces are gorgeous, Melissa! I really like your wall, too. You have a really nice balance of the big flowers in the bottom left, bottom center and upper right sampler. Together, they are stunning. Your yard is just so beautiful and you look as cute as can be, even with your eyes shut! I'm so glad your job is going well. Oh, and I can't wait to see Miss Elizabeth!!!!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Glad your first week at your new job went well despite being exhausting.
Love your newly framed pieces and your new sampler wall.

Vickie said...

Your sampler wall is fabulous.

Margaret said...

So glad your first week back at work was good! And that you have a 3 day weekend to help you recover too! Love seeing that pic of you under the banana tree, eyes closed or not! And your framing -- wonderful!!!!! I love it all, love the frames, and the sampler wall is just gorgeous! I so have to get around to stitching that Heartstring Samplery piece!

Jan said...

Great to 'see' you, Melissa! And I love, love, love your two newest addition and they are just perfect for that sampler wall! Wow, so beautiful!!! Lovely front garden too, and that banana tree is fabulous!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely framed pieces, your sampler wall is inspiring. Nice to "see" you too and your bonnie garden.

marly said...

How nice to have a 3 day weekend after that exhausting week. Your sampler wall is spectacular! The frames look nice together and don't detract from the stitchery colors.

Gabi said...

I SO love your sampler wall, same to your newly framed pieces. Just beautiful.
Glad you love your new job, and hopefully it will become soon less exhausting.
What a beautiful picture of you under the tree. L

Chris said...

So glad that you are still smiling Melissa! I hope that the work routine settles down and you find stitching time during the week.
Wow is all that I can say about your new framed pieces and that sampler wall is so lovely. What a great grouping.
Have a great week.

Lianne said...

Congrats on getting through your first week back at work. I can relate to your comment about coherent sentences at the end of the day... I hope it gets easier for you and I am sure it will.

I love your calendar and your sampler wall.

Hope the start of a new week has went well.

Carol said...

Ha ha--I love how you name your various sampler walls :) The "Blonde Ambition" wall is looking gorgeous...

So glad to hear the new job is going well. I certainly remember when I went back to work after my 10 YEAR vacation--I was so, so exhausted, I didn't think I would make it through the first week. But, here I am--still there 16 years later :) I hope you can enjoy the two hours on public transportation by listening to some good audiobooks. That IS an awfully long commute!

Love the photo of you (eyes closed and all!) under your giant banana tree and, of course, your newly framed pieces are so special...

Giovanna said...

Your framed pieces and wall display are just gorgeous! And it's nice to be able to put a face to the name :-)

P.J. said...

Beautiful framing. Your Blonde Ambition display is very lovely. Nice. You look cute under the banana tree.

Brigitte said...

So good to read that everything worked out fine with your job and that you survived your first week. I'm sure it will become less exhausting with the time, when the daily routine starts.
I *love* to see sampler walls and yours is gorgeous. These pieces go so well together, it's a perfect display.

Joy said...

Just lovely stitching! I hope you never tire of posting. Continued success on your new job.

Joy said...

Oops...lovely framing too:)

Sharon said...

Your framing and sampler wall look amazing! How can you not stand and stare at it all day? Glad to hear the job is going well!

Giovi's Creations said...

Hi! I'm back! and I find your nice projects and very good news..congrats for your job! Have a nice period there. Giovi (in London for a while)

Catherine said...

Wow! Your newest sampler wall is beyond beautiful! Love the name too, very creative!
So glad to hear that you are liking your new job. That commute doesn't sound fun, hopefully you are finding something to pass that time more quickly.
Great photo of you under the tree ~ you deserve to close your eyes and take a rest!!
And yes, you need a dog to fill that yard! ;)

Penny said...

Beautifully stitched and framed! Love your sampler wall too! Glad things are going well with your new job! :)

Karoline said...

Glad to hear your new job is going well.

Your framing is gorgeous & I love your sampler wall.

Congratulations on finishing the Little by Little sampler, it's very pretty

Anne said...

I think that's the cutest photo of you by the banana tree! I love it! Your backyard looks so perfect and inviting!! I adore your blonde ambition wall. Perfect name for it! All those frames are gorgeous but my heart is really drawn to Permit Me Not to Stray. Something about those massive dinosaur flowers that get me every time I see this design! Ooof two hours on transit. Blech. That's one thing I've been avoiding like a plague this summer since I have to go back to work September and spend about 3 hours. At least I can read lots!!!

Big hugs to you!

Joysze said...

Oh, it's so nice to finally meet you face to face!! Well, you know what I mean. Hehehehe. You look so cute under the trees :D

Loved seeing your framed pieces. They're gorgeous.