Monday, June 11, 2012

If at first you don't suceed, Try, Try Again!

Good morning and good start of the week to you! Last week we had a lot of rain so I spent a lot of time really diving in and reorganizing my stash and then preparing linens for almost 40 projects. Yup, that's right, double digits - Four Oh. All different sizes from small to large to largest! In the process, I came face to face with my Nemesis, a project whose looks I loved but which I had a number of issues with way back in 2008. Here's the story:

The old story: back in 2008, actually when I started this blog I was still relatively new from returning to stitching. I loved the look of Elizabeth Savilles 1841 sampler as you can see here. I love the colours, just so Shabby Chic! 
When I first got the fibers, however, I was shocked at the colours chosen. The linen was Meadow Rue by Lakeside Linens which is a gorgeous fabric and I love it, but not for this. I had other issues with it and I put this down and picked it up a couple of times and this is where I stopped in 2009. 
That's Daisy helping me with the photo taking this morning! You can see it looks pretty nice but it just did not meet the picture in my head, which is a light linen with lots of pinks and reds.


So last week, I decided to "Try, Try again" but with a new start, with new fibers. I have been saving a piece of creamy linen mottled with some pink hues, just for this lady. I had struggled to figure out how to get the floss colours as per the photo on the chart but I finally decided the easiest was just to pull some colours I liked from my stash. Here's how Miss Savilles is looking.

I am experimenting with floss as I go but so far I have decided to use Belle Soie silks Attic Tea for the border vine, and Poison Apple for most of the flowers. 

The chart is another challenge I faced back in 2008. It is likely charted exactly as the old sampler appears with lots of broken lines (missing stitches).  I have decided that I will make some changes to this aspect as my mood dictates. I want to love stitching it and love having it hang on my wall! So far so good! I will not be defeated this time! ;-)  I also realize I was not a very experienced stitcher back in 2008 and that, most likely, contributed to my frustration when stitching E.S. as well.


Have you had your own version of a Stitching Nemesis? Do tell! 


Although we've had lots of rain, somehow some plants are still thriving. First is the David Austin rose "Golden Celebration".
Next up is the pretty "Benjamin Britten". The colour reminds me of red geraniums!
Finally, we have a clematis "Duchess of Edinburgh". It's funny that this year, the colour of it has turned to a pretty light lilac when it is in full bloom! So pretty!
That's it for another post! Thank you for all your visits and comments! They keep me motivated! 


Have a wonderful week!

31 comments:

Deb said...

I love Elizabeth and have heard about the missing stitches, etc. I have her in my pile to stitch but haven't gotten there yet. It's looking wonderful so far.

Carol said...

I'm glad you're giving this sampler another chance, Melissa--love the color palette you've chosen (I always love your color palette--think you should sell those pretty pinks and greens as a kit!!)...

I'm so envious of your ability to grow roses. I tried about 10 years ago and it was a disaster. We have horrid clay-like soil here and the climate isn't quite right for roses... Yours look so perfect!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Love the new color palette you've chosen for Elizabeth. Your roses are beautiful.

WoolenSails said...

I like the new colors you have chosen, more subtle, but richer.

Debbie

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

ES is gorgeous and I really like your new color pallete much better. Pretty pinks and greens: what's not to love?

Your roses, and all your flowers, are just gorgeous. Each bloom is like looking at a beautiful work of art.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I like what you're doing with the sampler - I agree that sometimes when we go back to something our whole outlook has changed. I find that happens especially with my knitting. Something that has given me issues before is suddenly clear.

Tracey said...

I love the new floss colours you have chosen... very pretty!

As usual,I am in awe of your gorgeous flower pictures... you really inspire me too :-)

Kay said...

Sometimes it really is best to just stop! I have often changed colours to make things how I like them, and fabrics too. I have in my UFO pile a picture that I bought when my daughter was about 6 months old to do for her nuresery. I still need to finish it and she is 15!!

Linda said...

I also am struggling to find a linen for this. I do not want to use Meadow Rue, as I don't think it would look right (for me anyway). I saw it done at my LNS, but alas, they could no longer remember what it was stitched on - but I liked it, whatever it was!
I also wanted to use DMC threads. I could not find a conversion chart. However, I did fine one converting the silks to Anchor. I then converted the Anchor to DMC. I like the colors that I came up with! Now to find linen...

Linda in VA

Deborah said...

I love the changes you have made to your sampler. Very pretty colors. The roses are gorgeous.

Katrina said...

Love your new colors!!!!! I would do the same thing if I didn't love a project :-).

Margaret said...

It looks great! It really is frustrating, especially if the model photo is the antique -- the repro just never matches what you want. I think you've done a great job this time though. My nemesis is probably Mouline Rouge. If you look toward the start of my blog (I have labels too), you'll see what happened with that. Still a UFO. lol!

Barbi said...

OH MY!!! That clematis is GORGEOUS!!!

Theresa said...

This is such a beautiful sampler~ I'm glad you gave it a second chance. I do like the colors you have chosen, have fun!!!!
Your flowers are gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing~

Penny said...

Elizabeth is a pretty sampler! Love the new colors. I've started Frances Eden too many times to count! I've never been happy with the fabric I've picked. I don't plan to give up though. :) By the way, I love your little helper. Your roses are just gorgeous and I've never seen a clematis like that - so pretty!

Karen said...

Your flowers are just beautiful! Wished it inspired me to get in the garden...oh well..I will just keep stitching!

Love your restart. It's amazing how we can struggle to restart something or just trudge on when we know we aren't happy with it. I am having this now with Goode Huswife's Three Crows, such a simple design but I am struggling due to the colors I chose. So what do I do??? I just keep stitching hoping it will soon be done just to get it over with it. Sad. Kudos to you for starting over! Happy stitching...

Chris said...

Good for you and your do over. Your new start looks great.
Your flower pics are lovely.
Have a great week!

Loraine said...

Your new choices of colors are perfect, Melissa. I hope it's smooth sailing from here on out!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Your restart is looking good so far! I know what you mean about falling in love with a picture only to find the called for floss/fabric combo leaves a lot to desire. I think you will like it better this time around.

Marsha said...

Your flowers are gorgeous. The roses have been exceptional this year and very early.
I have moved 'Sarah Owens' from the floor of the closet to a basket and have stated 'out loud' that I will finish her next year. We'll see. I'm hopeful.

Leena said...

Hi Melissa and thanks for your comment on my blog, I had to come right away to check Daisy's paw :) So cute, just like Tiikeri or Pipari, Manteli rarely does that.

The sampler is beautiful, good luck for stitching, the colours look gorgeous!

I love your flowers, it's always such a joy to see your garden photos, thanks for sharing!

Lois said...

Love the colours you've changed too, I've got those in my stash and they are such nice colours to work with. Good for you re-starting this one and I say go with adding whatever you need as regards filling in from the missing stitches.

Love your flower pictures. Remember I was telling you that my peony rose was nowhere near flowering. I fear the wet weeks we've had lately has discouraged any buds, it's all just leaves this year and any 'buds' there are don't look like they'll be doing anything.

Catherine said...

Love the new colors!! Simply beautiful! And your roses ~ wish I could smell them!

Veronica said...

I change colours, fabrics, floss etc. as well especially when it comes to samplers. The way I see it, it's my hobby and I'll do whatever that makes me happy :)

Gorgeous, gorgeous flowers, Melissa.

Hugs,
Veronica.

Giovanna said...

It's going to be beautiful, you've made some excellent colour choices.

valerie said...

Good for you for giving Elizabeth another chance. The floss/linen color seems much brighter. Looking forward to watching your progress. And your flowers are amazing!!

Siobhán said...

Oh my gosh, your flowers are amazing!! So is your restart on Elizabeth. I want to stitch it but like you said--the Meadow Rue is just waaaay too dark. I got it about four years ago now, at least, and ordered everything for it. I saw the combo of threads and linen and stuck all in a drawer.

As for a stitching nemesis, it would definitely be Hannah Pepper. I feel like I won the battle since it's finished and framed, but let's just say that if the dead can come back and haunt people, I'm sure Hannah would choose me, considering how many times I cursed her name!! LOL

Anne said...

This is a lovely sampler and those colours are so soft and pretty! I'm liking your colour choices for the design!! Ooh that Daisy getting into the photo. She's pulling a Titus!! Gosh your flowers are gorgeous! I can smell that Benjamin from here (or at least I can imagine the smell!!)

Hugs

Brigitte said...

Melissa, it looks great and I love your changes so far. Particularly the change of the linen colour. A creamy fabric mottled with shades of pink sounds terrific for Elizabeth. I'll be following your progress on her.

I also have a stitching nemesis - mine is one of the Mystery Gardens by Chatelaine. I stopped stitching on it years ago, then pulled it out once again just to add some stitches and that was it. Since then it has been lying on the bottom of my WIP box, untouched. And I can't even say why - it just doesn't appeal to me any longer. It's such a pity ...

Karoline said...

I like your new colours for Elizabeth.

Your flowers are looking lovely

Suzanne said...

I love the new colours you have chosen, much better in shade than the original.