Followers

Monday, 21 May 2012

What's that noise?

ping-ping-ping...piddle-paddle-piddle...splash...whosh...

It's Raining! 

Our stretch of sunshine came to a standstill yesterday with the arrival first of a few little raindrops, then the faucet was opened and water poured from the sky! The plants needed a good watering anyway.

While the sun was shining I got very little stitching done. Actually, I had only garden in my brain. I didn't read novels, I read (aka Browsed the pretty pictures) gardening books. So when the rain begun, I got back to stitching yesterday. 

A little progress on Nellie's Garden Revisited:
Since last week I did the two rows of alphabets with Algerian stitch. Maybe with the rainy stretch I will be able to stitch more this week!

Meanwhile, before the rains came, our tree peonies finished their show and this beautiful white wisteria bloomed in our back garden! Oh, the fragrance of this is so lovely! The photos show the garden clean-up in progress. The small bed in the lower right hand corner has now been planted with a few veggies.  

This is a view from our deck looking down.
Now I am going to show you a couple of photos from a thrift find sometime ago. I really hope I haven't asked you this already. I don't think I have as I don't have an answer. What is this little thing? 

A view from top. 
A view from the side.
This little thing can be held in the palm of my hand. I asked at the thrift store but they didn't know. Maybe it's just a decorative thing but for what?  If you know, I would love to find out.

That's it for another post. Thanks again for your visits and taking time to leave me your comments. I really appreciate them! Have a wonderful week!

23 comments:

Devon said...

We are recovering from a week of rain,,like you our grass and plants sure did like it,,what a beautiful tree,,and your find is a awesome score,,love you work on your sampler,,I really need to get back to mine,,

Deb said...

Great progress on your piece. It's looking great.

And we could use some rain around here too - so dry. I think we're suppose to get some today, but it's to be seen.

Don't know what your thrift find is, but I like it.

Gillie said...

Oh that wisteria, I can smell it from here, can't 1? LOL!
Lovely stitching and your find wil be perect for small like biscornus. Would think it is just decorative.

Riet said...

What a beautiful pattern! Here in Holland, finally we have sun! Regards Riet

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I have no idea what your little find is but I'd love to find out. Your wisteria is just beautiful, I love the way it hangs.

Margaret said...

We had a lot of rain today too! Love your wisteria -- wow, so pretty! And your stitching is gorgeous too, of course. Love it! Have no clue what your find is, but it's a nice piece!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Your stitching is beautiful! I love how eyelets look on an alphabet! Don't know what that thing is but could you make a pin cushion on the top and store small spools of thread in the bottom? Whatever it is, it's a great shape!

Your garden is just beautiful. Love the wisteria!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Your wisteria is lovely. I haven't a clue what that thing is... but I bet you'll think of something clever to do with it.

valerie said...

I heard you guys got rain. We didn't get any down here but would have been the perfect excuse to gt me to stay home. Just love your new sampler! And that wisteria is soooo pretty! I hope you get an answer on your thrift find!

Anne said...

Love Nellie's Garden Melissa! The colours are so pretty! That's a lot of eyelets to stitch!! Ooh, wisteria! Yours is white?! I don't think I've ever seen white wisteria. Love the smell of them wafting in the wind!! What an unusual find. Perhaps it's a little candle holder where you stick a small candle in the top thing?! Or a doll house ornament? Who knows but it's neat!!

marly said...

Your Wisteria is magnificent! I never saw one in white. I have no idea what that hickey is! Let us know when you find out.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

That really is a pretty wisteria I also have never seen one in white, as for your little find I am also stumped as what that could be..

Annette-California said...

Such lovely white wisteria - wow. Love your sampler of Nellie's Garden. Have a great week and enjoy the rain while it lasts. Here in California we don't get much.

Chris said...

Beautiful progress Melissa! The colors in this sampler are lovely.
That tree is beautiful.

Giovanna said...

The sampler is just lovely, nice progress!

Carol said...

Oh, I've never seen white wisteria, Melissa! It is so, so pretty. We used to have a lovely arbor of purple wisteria, but when we added on to our house 16 years ago, we had to pull it all out :(

Your sampler is looking wonderful--I'm sure you enjoy stitching it when you can pull yourself away from your garden. I can see why you're so happy puttering away out there whenever you can :)

BeckySC said...

Your wip is looking gorgeous :)

Marie-P said...

It rained here as well. Sadly, the sky opened up and dropped buckets on my DS commencement ceremony...dreadful!

Your progress on Nellie's Garden is looking good.

What wonderful pics of your garden, beautiful.

As for the thrift shop find...I have no idea, but it is cute.

Penny said...

Nellie's Garden is looking so pretty! I always love the letters done in the Algerian stitch. I love wisteria! Never seen one in white - it's gorgeous! I can't imagine what your mystery find is, but it looks like it could hold some finished cross stitch ornaments/pillows. :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Your WIP is lovely

Lois said...

Your wisteria is beautiful! Has it been a particularly good year for it? Lovely progress on Nellie's Garden Revisited. I'm loving the colours in this one.

Catherine said...

Such pretty stitches! And, wow, your wisteria is beautiful!!
I have no idea what your find is, but I can imagine using it to hold stitching goodies.

Rebecca said...

Who is the designer of Nellie's Garden Revisited. I love this pattern and your stitching is wonderful.

blake@cfu.net