Followers

Sunday, 6 May 2012

A Parade from the Garden

Hello, sunshine! It's here again and it's supposed to stay for awhile, so the blooms are all lining up like a parade to show off their pretty faces! Here we go (stitching will come last)-

From the top - fritillaria, primula, lewisia and succulents of some sort, purple azalea and then pink azalea.




In my last post, I had mentioned struggling with colours suggested in a design that I had started. Well, I gave up shortly after my post as I have no time nor patience at the moment to ponder changing colours on a design. So, I started a new piece. 

This is the start to Nellie's Garden Revisited, by Homespun Samplar. This is an oldie and I've had this in my stash for many years. I am glad to be able to finally dust off the cobwebs and stitch this beauty!

I have a ways to go before I get to stitch more flowers! Sometimes I don't mind stitching alphabets but now I just want to stitch flowers. Are you surprised?

We've had a lot of rain here and a lot of cold so anytime there's a stretch of sunshine I am beside myself with joy! I was outside yesterday and I will be again today. More clean-up, tidy up in the garden. The garden itself, the plants, are all looking great this year. I have some spectacular tree peonies ready to bloom so I am hoping they will bloom during the sunny periods and not get crushed by any rainy spells! I hope I can share some photos of them next time.

As always, thanks for stopping by! I love reading that you've been here. Take care. I hope you are enjoying some nice sunshine too! 

28 comments:

Robin said...

I have never seen or heard of the fritillaria. Does it really look checkered or is it just my screen? Love your new sampler start!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely flowers - fritillary are so unusual and although they are delicate looking they seem to survive from year to year. I know what you mean about changing colours, I'm currently doing that with "Flock" and it's driving me up the wall.

Giovanna said...

What lovely flower pictures! And nice going on the sampler, it's so pretty.

barbara said...

Oh I just love fritillaria! We had them in our backyard in Gouda. :)

valerie said...

So many pretty flowers and I haven't heard of so many of them! That fritillaria is interesting...it looks checkered! Great progress on your new start!

Nancy said...

You have a gorgeous garden! I love that first flower - so unusual. Enjoy your lovely new stitching start!

Maggee said...

I have heard of fritillaria but never saw them in that color array! And PURPLE azales! WooHoo! I want some! Look forward to seeing the sampler progress. Hugs!

WoolenSails said...

I just love the variations on that flower, really beautiful.

Debbie

Margaret said...

Your garden is wonderful! Love your new WIP too. I know that feeling of wanting to get over the alphabet and get to the good part. I had the same thing with Ann Rayner. lol!

marly said...

Such pretty flowers. I need to look up a few. Stitching's looking good too!

Catherine said...

Love that first flower!! I've never seen that one before.
Such a pretty piece you are stitching ~ looking forward to seeing more!

Chris said...

Beautiful flower pics!
The sampler is beautiful. I love the colors that you are working with.

Carol said...

Oh, your garden flowers are wonderful, Melissa. I had never heard of or seen fritillaria before--what a pretty bloom!

And your fabric seems to be blooming with a new beauty, too! Nellie's Garden is looking so pretty. And I think stitching flowers is perfect for this time of year.

Enjoy your hours in the garden :)

Laurie in Iowa said...

Loved looking at your garden photos and your new start.

Penny said...

I enjoyed seeing your pretty flowers! And what a pretty new start! I think I have this design somewhere. :) Hope you continue with the sunny days.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

I love the fritillaria. It reminds me of a checkerboard! Your sampler is coming along nicely too!

Karoline said...

Your flowers are lovely. Your new start is lovely and congratulations on finishing Eveline

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

You have the greenest of green thumbs! Your flowers are just beautiful! It has been a great growing year, hasn't it?

Love Nellie's Garden, too! I don't mind stitching alphabets (generally) but spring has sprung and I agree, it's time for flowers!
Can't wait to see more~

doris said...

I love both of your gardens! Your flowers are wonderful, and your new little garden piece is so pretty.

Just Me and My Shadow said...

Beautiful flowers. I stitched Nellie's Garden in combination with Nellie's Garden Revisited in memory of my beautiful Labrador Nellie who passed away seven years ago. It is a lovely piece.
We are enjoying some spectacular autumn days here in Australia. Autumn....love it!!

Chrissie

Laura said...

I can't even believe that first flower is real!!! So gorgeous!!!

Siobhán said...

The flowers are so pretty--the first one is so neat! Nice progress on your sampler!

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

Very beautiful flowers ... I love your stitches
bisous de FRANCE

Anne said...

Wow Melissa! That fritillaria is like an upside down, checkered tulip! It's so unique and unusual! I love it!! I'm loving all the azaleas and rhododendrons that are coming out in full force this week! The colours are so vibrant!! I love this new little sampler you've started! It's so sweet!

Hugs

Anne

Isobel -Argante- said...

Ohhh, wow, what a lovely garden!!!!!
Thanks so much for your comment, I'm happy you love my freebie :-)
Hugs and thanks again

Isobel
The Primitive Hare

Nicola said...

Oh I wish we could grow peonies in our garden, lucky you. Wishing you a good weekend

Solstitches said...

I'd never seen or heard of Nellie's Garden Revisited before and with such an intriguing name I had to Google it.
It's absolutely gorgeous. An oldie but goodie for sure and will go on my "would like to stitch one day" list.
I do have one of their designs. The Hunt. I will stitch it one of these days!
You are alredy making great progress and I look forward to seeing this lovely sampler come to life.
Margaret

Lois said...

How did I miss this post?!?!?! Lovely pics of the flowers and I'm loving your new (well it was nearer the start of May!!)start.