Followers

Friday, 2 March 2012

Beauty from Women's Hands

I think Life is wonderful. I think it's full of surprises if we entertain looking for them or really looking AT them when they do pop up.

A couple of weeks ago I was going through my (online) bookmarks and trying to streamline them. I found this site oddly filed in one of my folders. I have no idea when and how I came to find this site. On further inspection, it peeked my interest. Look what arrived the other day. 

Two Kantha Blankets:

They come from the women of Bangladesh via HandandCloth.org.  You can read more about them here. "kantha, a traditional two-sided blanket made from repurposed vintage sari cloth. Kantha has been a quiet form of self-expression for women in Bangladesh for centuries"

I don't know much more about this organization beyond what you can find on their website but I definitely fell in love with these blankets. They are aged and patched but they just feel so wonderful!  Have a look. 




I was so touched when I lifted these blankets out of the boxes. To think of the women who stitched them, thousands of miles away and trying to help themselves to live better lives, well, how can you not feel the "goodness" in them? 

I feel very blessed to have found them and for them to have found me. Sarah is planning to post more blankets this weekend so I hope you will bookmark their site and visit them again to see their new inventory. 

Now, if you have read this far, thank you. The other thank you is to people who are following this blog. I now have 293 followers. I remember at the turn of this new year, it kept going up and down between 275 and 278 and I was wondering if I was losing followers as soon as I got some new ones! (Was it something I said/did/didn't do?)

The point is, when I hit 300 I will have a giveaway so stay tuned. 

Are you surprised I am posting on Friday? Me too. Life is full or surprises, like a bookmark you never knew you had and that takes you on a new adventure! 

Thanks for visiting. Happy Weekend!

28 comments:

Kim said...

LOOOOVE these! Thanks for the bookmark! Happy Friday!!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Really pretty, Melissa! I especially love the orange and green one! I'm off to check out the link; thanks for enabling me to spend more money!

Margaret said...

Wow, these are so pretty!!! I'm going to go peruse asap. Love! Thanks for the link -- now you've enabled me too. lol!

Catherine said...

Beautiful!! I'm off to check them out!

Mary said...

Yes they certainly are lovely - you can almost feel their softness. Not surprised you have nearly 300 followers - your blog is well worth following.
Mary

Ann at Beadlework. said...

A nice surprise to see you popping up today. Classic Inspirations of Australia have featured Kantha embroidery a few times in their magazine.

Laurie in Iowa said...

I'm off to check the link... so pretty!

P.J. said...

Oh I could cuddle up one of those in front of the fire and read a steamy book. Super cool find, enjoy.

Deb said...

Those are wonderful! I've never hear of these or the organization but I will definitely have to check them out.

marly said...

Lovely post. Thank you for the information.

Sylvia said...

Those are really lovely blankets - I especially like the green one. Thank you so much for sharing the site.

Hazel said...

That is a really beautiful site. I will def bookmark it. X

Siobhán said...

Wow, they're beautiful! I'm off to check their website!

Lynn said...

What beautiful work! Thank you for the link to their site!

barbara said...

Those blankets are amazing. What a beautiful way to stay connected to our sisters all across the globe.

Joy said...

How lovely to see the words, "I think life is wonderful"...truly words to live by. Thank you for sharing the blankets. So many talented women all over the world!

Theresa said...

These blankets are beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing~

Anne said...

The blankets are gorgeous Melissa! You always find such lovely things!! Where are you displaying them?

congrats on nearly reaching 300 followers! That's amazing!!

Take care and have a wonderful weekend!!

Chris said...

The blankets are really lovely. What a wonderful way to be connected to other parts of the world.
Congratulations on the followers :)

Carol said...

Oh, those are both so special, Melissa. Isn't it wonderful how the gift of stitching links women together throughout the world no matter their race, religion, or socioeconomic group? Thanks for passing on the link!

milly said...

Hello

Just visiting your blog.

Those blankets are beautiful.

Solstitches said...

Those blankets are very special and different to anything I've seen.
Happy to help you on your way to the magic 300 follower I just joined.
I don't think I have been to your blog before but your lovely comment on mine led me here :)

Margaret

Penny said...

Such beautiful blankets! I will have to take a look at the link. :)

Joysze said...

The blankets are gorgeous, Melissa. :D

Suzanne said...

Ooooh, such gorgeous blankets! I love the little patches on it, they look so pretty.

My followers go up and down as well, it would be nice to hit 300.

Patti said...

Absolutely love these and thanks so much for the link. I'm going there right now.
Lots of Love
Patti xxx

Brigitte said...

Thanks so much for sharing this site. These blankets are real treasures, they just look gorgeous. And they are really specila when you consider the stories that are behind them.

Laura said...

Wow! I have fallen in love with those blankets!!!! I hope to be able to have one someday too!