Followers

Sunday, 5 February 2012

Sweet Dreams are made of these

Finally - my first finish of 2012! I feel like the one-arm-stitcher! I modified the design to use my own words "Sweet Dreams" and of course to accommodate the mistakes as mentioned in my last post! The design is "Margaret Harris" by Blackbird Designs. I loved stitching this even if I had to fudge a lot!  I hope to finish it off as a little pillow by my bedside.

What's next, you ask? I have an exchange to stitch so I can't tell you!

Yesterday when we went out grocery shopping, we found this huge pot of orchids (Cymbidium) on sale for $10 (from $40)! We have never grown this variety before but it was full of blooms so even if it doesn't rebloom, we can enjoy these for awhile.

I have been enjoying a couple of good reads. 

The first is The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney. It is a mystery of a disappearance. However, center to this story is that the characters are Gypsies so it was interesting to read about their lifestyle past and present. I liked how the author intersperse the story telling between the private investigator, and a young adolescent Gypsy boy. 

The second is #3 in the Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson, called When will there be good news? The more I read Kate Atkinson, the more I love her writing. Initially her style  took me awhile to "get it"  but once I did, I just love her! I can't wait for the next story in the series. In the meantime, there are other books of hers (non-series) that I haven't read yet so I will be hunting those down!

Julius says "I can't see them so they can't see me!" 
Daisy says "Boys are so silly."

 The weather is just fantastic at the moment. We have had snow then heavy rains, but since last Thursday, the sun has come to visit and seems to be staying for awhile! How lucky are we?


Thank you, by the way, for letting me know about where to find tutorials. Vonna wins hands down! With the first person who mentioned Vonna, I thought "Duh, but of course!" So thanks for letting me know, and also thanks to Vonna for all her wonderful tutorials.

 I have been really busy with work and haven't been keeping up with reading blogs as much as I'd like. But what's even more disconcerting is that some of the blogs that I usually read and leave comments, well, their owners have changed their comment setting so I can't leave comments any longer. Not the owner's fault - something to do with Blogger. I know some of you have mentioned the same issue. Oh well.

Thank you for stopping by. Have a great week ahead.

29 comments:

lynda said...

I love your Blackbird Designs piece...it's beautiful! is that a stand alone pattern or is it from a book? Congratulations on your finish...it's really lovely.

natalyK said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish!

P.J. said...

Love your finish, especially your adaptation with Sweet Dreams. I had not seen this design before, so I did not realize it was a change. It looks like it was meant to be. I say sweet dreams to my daughter and husband every night, so it would be fitting.

valerie said...

What a sweet finish Melissa! I love your change to "sweet dreams". That's how my sister and I would say goodnight to each other when I was a kid. Love it! And Julius and Daisy are so cute!

I've been having problems leaving comments too. I've had to refresh and then it works. I also noticed blogger and Firefox aren't playing nice with each other...at least for me.

Enjoy the weekend!

Giovanna said...

You've done a greta job with the sampler, and I love the "Sweet dreams" on it. Congrats!

Kathryn said...

Wonderful finish Melissa - a Sweet Dreams pillow by the bedside is so appropriate! I'm having trouble finding a good enough combination of magnification and light these days, so am resting by stitching something on aida, but it doesn't leave me with the same feeling of accomplishment. Is your jackson brodie series about a scottish detective? I think I remember watching a show on PBS or knowledge network featuring a character by that name. I have 2 cats too, and we've just taken the indoor one outside for a walk - he sits on my husband's shoulder and through the neighbourhood we march!

merumo said...

Congrats on your MH! She is beautiful!! Love meeting your kitties. They look so cute and fun. Hope they won't try to taste your orchid ;)

Laura said...

Margaret Harris is on my wish list. Such a sweet design. Congrats on your finish of it!

Margaret said...

I hope you can still leave comments on mine! I got rid of the word verification thing, but I think everything else is the same.

Love your finish -- so pretty! Love the pics of your cats too -- Julius is a funny one! Pretty orchids! I'll have to look up those books too.

Theresa said...

What a beautiful finish!!!! And I think "Sweet Dreams" is a perfect verse for this piece.

Love your Cymbidium!!!! And at a great price, too!!!! The color is sooo pretty!!!! I've never have the courage of buying an orchard, I know I will just kill them....

Your kitties are soooo cute!!!! They must be a joy to have around!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Beautiful orchids, as you know they're a favourite of mine. It's always good to see your kitties - cats love a box do they not :-)

Laurie in Iowa said...

Congrats on your first finish of 2012... it's so pretty. You have very sweet kitties.

Karen said...

Very pretty...love your changes to make it your own.

happy stitching....

Deborah said...

Beautiful finish! Love your changes.

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Sweet Dreams is lovely and I didn't see a single problem. A pillow finish should be beautiful. CJ in ok ;-)

Chris said...

Beautiful finish and wonderful orchid.
Hello to your furbabies! So funny the way they hide :)

Siobhán said...

Congratulations on the finish! What a neat personalization, too--though I'm going to be singing that song in my head for the rest of the day. ;)

Thanks for the book tips! I am so impressed because the library actually has The Invisible Ones. I have heard great things about Kate Atkinson but never read one of her books yet--I'll have to check it out!

Loved the cat photos!

Evik said...

Hi Melissa,

happy year 2012!!! Finally, I write to you again ;)
Congratulations on your first finish. it's beautiful ... I love it! :)

Cymbidium is so pretty! I love orchids. I own 4 Phalaenopsis. It's a lot to our little home :)

I cordially greet!!!
Eva

Katrina said...

What a sweet finish, I think it will make an adorable pillow. Cute kitty pictures too :-).

Nancy said...

A beautiful finish! Margaret Harris is just gorgeous! You found some lovely orchids, and I love the pictures of your kitties!

Joy said...

Lovely finish...love how you personalized it and plan on finishing by your bed.

Sweet kitties. I've been interested in different books...thanks.

Keeper of the Crowes said...

It may be your first finish, but it's a good one!!! It's going to make a lovely pillow! I'm really interested in your book recommendation, The Invisible One. I think I need to give this one a read!
Linda

Joysze said...

Whoop whoooop!! Congrats on your first 2012 finish!! :D It looks fantastic and I can't to see it as a pillow.

Holy moly, look at your cymbidium!!! And what a steal at that price!!! It's stunning... just stunning. Can you tell I love orchids? LOL!!

Penny said...

What a lovely finish! Congratulations!
The orchids are beautiful, but I didn't realize they were so expensive. Wish my thumb were greener . :)
I've read all of the Kate Atkinson books and enjoyed them. The Invisible Ones sounds interesting - think I will try it. :)

Brigitte said...

Oh Melissa, this is such a wonderful finish. Congratulations. What fabric colour did you stitch it on? It looks gorgeous.
Kate Atkinson belongs to my favourite authors, and after reading Steph Penney's first book "The Tenderness of Woolves" she does, too I have to look for the new one and read it as well. I'm looking forward to it.

Carol said...

I know I've said it before, Melissa, but I'll say it again--you always choose samplers with the most gorgeous and soothing colors!! I truly love this one and how you've changed the wording--perfect! And the colors in your new Cymbidium are the perfect accent for it :)

Anne said...

Gorgeous finish Melissa!! I think it will look perfect as a pillow for your bedside!! Those orchids are beautiful! And at such a great price too! Too bad I kill my orchids :( My mom seems to be able to keep them...but my thumbs just don't give life to orchids, or cactus, or succulents!

As for the books, have you given thought to any of those classics I suggested? I'm going to be reading next "When God Was a Rabbit" while I work on War and Peace.

Hello there Julian and Daisy!!

Take care!!

Karoline said...

Sweet Dreams is gorgeous, congratulations

Suzanne said...

What a pretty finish on Margaret Harris and a very nice presonalisation.

Love the orchid, I have a small collection of them and I think I treat them better than the children, lol!

I removed the work verification on my blog, it can be so difficult to read. I am not sure what impact that will have, but only time will tell.