Followers

Sunday, 26 February 2012

Sunday post filled with stitching!

Good Sunday morning to you all! We had a blustery day yesterday which seem to have brought us some sunshine this morning. The weather has been wacky and will continue to do so but on this fine morning we will enjoy what we have!

I have a few things to show you! First, my Red Exchange. 

I received this beautifully stitched piece from Hazel - stitched over one! Exquisite! For someone who is "over-one" challenged, this was a real treat! 
Here is what I stitched for Nancy.  It's a design from Tante Zolder. I stitched it using AVAS 3025 on a piece of HDF linen. I used HDF's Earth Stars 5211 for the initial and 3 little hearts on the back. While I didn't want the red to be detracted by other colours, having that grey that fades into the fabric was something I imagined would have an "embossed" effect (I used 2 strands of the grey to get that effect). 

It's been quite awhile since I have made a pinkeep. My fingers felt all thumbs but it was fun to get creative again with the finishing.

Next, ahhh, a very pretty piece - Woodland Berries. It is from the Loose Feather "Summer" leaflet by Blackbird Designs. I thoroughly enjoyed stitching this one. I used all the recommended silks on a piece of linen I had hanging around - 36ct "Celtic" by Sugar & Spice.  
I made a small change in the upper right hand corner. In the original Alma's initials and date were done in green and filled the area. Instead I chose to do one initial with a different script, and using the same floss as the border so the initial fades into the linen. I'd wanted a bit of breathing space in that corner of the design. 
Now I am in search of the next project, very likely another Blackbird Designs. I'm going to stitch smaller projects for the next while, I think.

I am always inspired by what you stitchers bring home from yard sales and such. I never run across anything remotely interesting like stuff that Terri finds related to stitching, but one day I found this stool at a charity shop. The lid flips up to allow for some storage. It's not remotely antique but I bought it for the cats. You see, they like "perching".
Even though the next photo is without flash, it is such a lovely one of Mr Julius and somehow just captures the right mood,  I had to share it!
Well, we've come to the end of another post. Thank you so much for visiting. I am looking forward to seeing the new releases from the Nashville Market in the next few days. Of course I will get the book from Blackbird Designs, that I have no doubt! 


What new releases have caught your eye?

For you lucky folks in the States who can see the goodies in person, have fun!

30 comments:

Catherine said...

Wonderful projects! I love the changes you made to the BBD piece! Sweet kitties!

Joy said...

Love your finishes! I'm closing my eyes to anything new...can't keep up with what I have. Sweet kitty!

Karen said...

All are so pretty...both stitched and received.

happy stitching...

valerie said...

Lovely redwork exchange! I saw the fob on Hazel's blog and I think I need to find that chart now. The initial is beautiful as is the exchange you sent. That BBD finish is so pretty...soft and springlike.

I haven't been paying attention to market. Mainly because I don't want to fall in love with everything. I remember liking a PSS piece and CCN Party Cakes.

marly said...

Nice post. Lots of lovelies! All beautifully stitched and finished. I love that stool, along with your furbaby.

Laurie in Iowa said...

Both red exchange pieces are beautiful. Congrats on your BBD finish it looks lovely too.
Awww... you kitty loves the new low bench... the perfect perch.

Siobhán said...

What wonderful exchange pieces! Love the BBD finish, too. It's nice to take a break from bigger pieces for a bit, isn't it? Love the cat pics!

Hazel said...

Love what you stitched for the exchange. Your BBD finish is gorgeous. Nice linen choice. x

Giovanna said...

Those exchange pieces are just gorgeous. And the BBD... love it! Now I just want to stitch it...

Ann at Beadlework. said...

The BBD piece is one of my favourites. I love to see your kitties - they always look so contented.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Both of the exchange pieces are beautiful, Melissa! I love the bench you found! It'd be perfect in a stitching room, or by a stitching chair with all your needfuls close at hand (or foot, as the case may be)! Awesome pics of Mr. Julius. He is indeed a handsome fellow!

Lisa V said...

Your stitching pieces are lovely. Some people are soo lucky to find such beauties in antique stores, I am not one of those people unfortunately, but I still keep looking just in case.
Hugs

Margaret said...

lol! I so hear you on getting a stool for the cats for perching! I want to get Mia something like that so badly but I haven't come across anything so far that I can afford. Love the pics! Looove your BBD finish! Gorgeous! Love the red exchanges too, both ways! I swear it was blustery everywhere yesterday and Friday. lol! I'm glad it's over -- I get nervous with blustery after last year.

Deb said...

Both the red stitching pieces are beautiful. And I really like Woodland Berries. I wish that I could get myself to start stitching smaller things because this one would be at the top of the list.

Great find too. Things don't have to be antique or vintage to love them.

Anne said...

Melissa!! What a gorgeous pinkeep you made!! I spotted Hazel's over 1 M and really admired it. Little did I know it was for you!! How lovely!! And I really like how you personalized the back of your pinkeep!! So pretty!

Woodland Berries is so subtly soft! Are you going to make a little pillow out of this?

Hello there Julius! I love how he "owns" the stool!!

As for the Nashville Market, there's a piece that I love there but I need to search for it to tell you...I am going to email you shortly!!

Carol said...

That red exchange looks like great fun, Melissa--I love what you made for Nancy as well as what Hazel sent you! And, oh--another beauty in what I call "Melissa colors"--Woodland Berries is so you :)

Give Mr. Julius a nice pat from me--such a pretty kitty!

Deborah said...

Beautiful exchanges! Love your BBD finish. Your kitty is so pretty.

Debby said...

Lovely pictures that you have shown us! Your BBD is beautiful!

greetings from Debby

Katrina said...

Love your new kitty stool, too cute!!! Gorgeous exchanges and your BBD finish is so sweet. I do love Blackbird designs so I am looking forward to your new start :-).

Isobel -Argante- said...

Wonderful projects! I love the BBD finish :-)
Nice to meet you :-)

Romy in Austria said...

Lovely stitching and finishing!

Joysze said...

Great exchanges, Melissa! :D

Love Woodland Berries and awww Mr. Julius is beautiful. :D

Penny said...

Both red exchanges are lovely. I don't think you can go wrong with BBD and yours is beautifully stitched. I love your "perching" stool and of course Julius is a sweetie. :)

Lois said...

What lovely exchange pieces both sent and received! Love your BBD finish. The colours are so pretty in it and I like your adaptation in the corner. I've been keeping my head buried in the sand over the new releases at Market as I'm trying to be good. The new BBD book is a definite though, I just can't resist. Great stool, think the cats are definitely going to lay claim to it!

doris said...

Oh, Woodland Berries is really pretty. I love the colors.

Where do you find time for exchange pieces? They're worth the time, wherever you find it.

As for market stash ... I was a bad, bad girl.

Andrea said...

Lovely stitching. The kittys have certainly taken to their newly aquired perch.

Solstitches said...

Gorgeous gifts both given and received. I can't begin to imagine all that over one stitching. Your BD piece is beautiful.
I'm looking forward to their new book also.
Margaret

Suzanne said...

What a wonderful exchange piece you received, the over one work is amazing. I love the piece you stitched as well, I especially love the grey touches, they stand out nicely without taking away from the red work.

Love the BBD finish, it's a pretty design.

Lennu said...

Dear Melissa, Thanks so much for your comment in my blog! I'm slowly climbing back into the stitching universe.

Your stitching is beautiful as always, what a lovely pinkeep you made! The exchange from Hazel is so beautiful too. I love the colours in the Blackbird Designs flower, congratulations for the finish!

Oh what a perfect stool for cats, the photos are so cute! Julius seems to love the stool, he has this "it's mine" -look on his face I think :)

Have a happy, happy weekend!

Brigitte said...

These are two very lovely red exchnage pieces. Both of you must have been so pleased with their piece.
Your BBd project looks so great. BBD just has great patterns and I think I love them all. At least I can't think of any that I haven't liked. Of course, their new book is on my wish list too.