Followers

Sunday, 15 January 2012

Opening 2012 with Gratitute

It's the middle of January already and I am happy to be here to say:

(1) My back is feeling much better. Actually overall, I am off to a good start this year. With the help of acupuncture (thanks Yael) and the right chiropractic treatments and exercises (thanks Randy) I am feeling very hopeful...

(2) So Stitching I did go! I have been able to pick up the needle a bit at a time. And I have completed the house for Margaret Harris! I feel like I have been stitching with one hand tied behind my back but I'm getting there!


3) When not stitching I am, of course, Reading! I have decided that 2012 will be the year I read more widely, paying particular attention to non-fiction books. To that end, here is my second book finished this year and one which I can recommend highly.  Unbroken, by Lauren Hillenbrand. The story is amazing and inspiring.
 
 
I am currently reading The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn, subtitled "How a few simple lessons transformed nine culinary novices into fearless home cooks." It's an  interesting read. I thought it would be about how to fry an egg, how to chop an onion, that sort of thing - more technique. However, there were interesting bits about our assumptions about foods we buy at the store, and the lesson of tasting (as in compare various brands) everything. As much as I think I am a fairly decent cook, I came away learning a few new things and that's always good. 

4) The Joy of Books. For a lover of books, I loved this video. The music that does with it is just great! It is from a bookstore in Toronto. I found the video this morning when I was lurking on Eric Morgenstern's site. She is the author of one of my favourite reads last year, The Night Circus.  


5) The Joy of Pets. I haven't been showing you my kitties lately. Here is Mr Julius first giving me Kitty-Love mug.
I caught Miss Daisy giving me this sweet look this morning. Awww.
Here is my newest "pet". Meet Pigeldi! My boy bought this at Christmas Market in Germany and gave me to me for Christmas. Pigeldi is carved from one piece of wood and he's just so cute. I just loved it!
As you can see, I do have a lot of things to be grateful for! Not least of which is this "blog" thing which keeps me going. Your comments and encouragement and well wishes have always kept me afloat.

I've been admiring a lot of your stitching this January - it seems there are lot of new projects springing up all over the place, much to my delight! What's your favourite stitch so far?

Here we are at the end of another post. Thank you for visiting with me. If you have never left a comment here before, don't be shy, just say "hi"!  ;-)  Take care. Have a wonderful week ahead! 

32 comments:

Chris said...

Glad that you are feeling better.
Your stitching is beautiful, I love the colors in this piece.
Sweet kitties.

Catherine said...

So glad to read that your back is feeling better and that you are getting some stithces in ~ yay!
Thanks for the suggestions on books, I'm going to look up that first one. Such sweet kittes and love the new addition of Pigeldi! One piece of wood? That's amazing, I would have tought the ears, tail and legs would have been somehow attached...

Margaret said...

I'm so glad your back is feeling better! And Margaret Harris looks great! Love her! Love the piggie -- so cute! And your kitties -- awww! Daisy has such a cute look on her face! The reading sounds interesting. I figured my DS would like the Laura Hillenbrand book, but I haven't persuaded him to try it yet. I'm not good at nonfiction, but I may have to try some if you keep this up. lol!

CATHI said...

So good that you are feeling better! :o) Wonderful stitching! As a German, I know "Pigeldi" very well: in an animated TV program for children, there were two pigs, Pigeldi und Frederic. Pigeldi was the adult and Frederic the little one. The older one answered the questions of the younger, while they were walking in the open countryside... Very funy!

They were very famous! :o)

Cathi

Shebafudge said...

Glad to hear you are feeling much better. I love Pigeldy. He has got the cutest face.

Cristina said...

I wish the whole year goes on for you as it started. Love your pets, including Pigeldi, and your Margaret is progressing.

Glenna said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better and can enjoy some stitching again. Thanks for the recommendations--I'm off to find the Kitchen Counter Cooking School book!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Glad your back is better Melissa. I love the pig - I had a pattern for a "good luck pig" somewhere. I must look it out.

WoolenSails said...

Happy to hear you are feeling better and I don't think Mrs. Daisy is looking sweet, she looks like the cat who swallowed the bird, lol.

Debbie

Anne said...

Good to hear that your back is getting better!! I love the Margaret Harris house! As for reading, I'm still plowing through War and Peace (I'm at the war part!) but like you, I would like to read some non-fiction too!!Your kitties are so sweet! I especially love Julius' face giving you some love!! As for me and stitching, I've really been loving Jane Philpott and am going to work on her right now!!

Hope to see you soon Melissa!!

Laurie in Iowa said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better. Margaret H. looks wonderful. Enjoy your reading.

Nancy said...

So glad your back is better! Your stitching is lovely! Cute kitties!

marly said...

Glad you're feeling better - love the kitty pics!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

I'm so glad you're back is feeling a little better. Awesome new start - the house looks great! Your kitties are precious and your little piggy is adorable.

Theresa said...

I'm glad that you are feeling better!!!! Love your kitties~ They are sooo cute!!! And your new "pet" Pigeldi is just adorable!!!!
I love all the new LHN designs!!! They are sooooo temping!!!!! But right now I need to focus on finishing up some of my projects before I start new ones!!

Giovanna said...

Glad to read that your back is better. Your BBD is so pretty!

Joy said...

Good to hear you're feeling better. Gratitude is something we all need to have under any circumstance.

Sweet kitties.

Just can't wrap my head around non-fiction...good for you.

Have Happy Week!

Kellie said...

So glad you are feeling better, Melissa, and are able to stitch again. Your kitties and piggy are so cute! I haven't started anything new yet this year, choosing instead to focus on some WIPs. My focus currently is Paradise Lost. I had forgotten what an enjoyable stitch it is, and I am happy to say that I am almost finished with it.

barbara said...

What an uplifting part of my morning your post has been! :D

Joanie said...

Glad you are feeling better too! My word for 2012 is gratitude. I'm reading 1000 Gifts which talks about being grateful.

On the stitching front, I'm just concentrating on WIPs, I love all that I've started and I want to get some of them finished. I'm content to spend time with "old friends".

Happy New Year!

Katrina said...

Glad you are having a good start to the new year!!! Love Margaret too.

Linda said...

I'm so happy you are feeling better - and that you have been able to get a little stitching done! I have the book "Unbroken" here for my husband to read. I may give it a try, but it isn't my usual "reading material"... And that video in the bookstore was beyond sweet!

Linda in VA

merumo said...

What a wonderful news about your back! I'm sure it'll help you to get enjoying stitching more :) your kitties are very photogenic. Pretty girls!

Carol said...

I loved Unbroken, too, Melissa... I listened to it and just remember my mouth being agape as the narrator recalled the days the men spent in the raft and the POW camps. Louis was born in my hometown so it made it even more special to me :)

Wonderful news that you're feeling better--hope that is a sign that all of 2012 will be a healthy one for you.

Love your new start, your sweet kitties, and Pigeldi. He is so charming and I hope he does bring you much well-deserved good luck :)

Penny said...

Hope your back continues to feel better. Margaret Harris is such a pretty sampler! I love reading almost as much as stitching and will check out the books you mentioned. :) Julius and Miss Daisy are so sweet!

Siobhán said...

I'm so glad that you're feeling better and are able to stitch! Lovely progress on Margaret Harris! I just love that sampler.

I'll take note of the books you mentioned. My younger daughter is reading The Night Circus--she started it and by the end of the first chapter, she said she was trying to go as slow as possible to savor it. :)

Lois said...

Glad that you're feeling better and are able to stitch, even if it's only a little bit at a time.

My favourite stitch so far this year? Has to be BBD's Christmas Garden. I'm loving the colours!

Joysze said...

I'm so glad to hear your back is feeling better, Melissa. Hope 2012 will be a healing year for you.

Congrats on finishing the house! It's so cute. Hopefully with your back feeling better, stitching this will get easier.

Cute kitties and Pigeldi made me LOL! :D

Von said...

So glad you hear that your back is healing and you can stitch again!

I read Unbroken last year after my DH read it - what an amazing story!!

Jan said...

Beautiful stitching. I am reading The Night Circus so was thrilled to follow your link to the author's blog. The book is enchanting! I am loving it. My favorite stitch is a Marjolein Bastin sampler design of an English garden.

Karoline said...

Glad to hear your back is better. Margaret is looking lovely.

Suzanne said...

I am glad to hear that your back is feeling better. Nice progress on Margaret Harris. I recently purchased a whole stack of books at a yard sale, but haven't opened any yet. At the moment there just dosen't seem to be enough hours in the day.