Monday, October 24, 2011

Cologne (Koln), Germany

Let's load up more travel photos (as I don't have much else to say)! 

Here is the Dom Cathedral in Cologne, Germany. You can read more about it here.  It is the largest cathedral in Germany and is just awesome to behold. There are loads more information on the net so you can google it to find more information.
 Our son walked the 100+ steps up to the bell tower. Here is the view from up high! It is pretty amazing inside and out!
Here is a bridge with an interesting "tourist attraction". Look along the walkway where the people are - see those colourful things along the bridge? No?
Here's a close-up. Thousands of people have put in these locks to proclaim their "love". It was really amazing to see!
Here we are on the Rhine River. There are many boat tours (well worth it). 

The view from the boat. In the evening we sat in one of those outdoor cafes for dinner - marvelous!  


And here is our little village of Bensberg, about 30 minute by train from Cologne. 

Oh, and at the end of the day, we trudge back to our castle (via a hill paved with cobblestones!). What a wonderful place. We were definitely the "Beverly Hillbillies" at this 5-star hotel though!
Some of the beautiful interior...

Finally, as we return from a mellow dinner at the village, here is the site that greets us!
 Oh boy, what a time that was! 

I hope you've enjoyed these snippets of our travels in Germany! See you next time!

15 comments:

Margaret said...

I've so enjoyed seeing your pics of Germany! That cathedral is amazing -- such high vaulted ceilings and all! Love that castle you stayed in -- wow! Thanks for sharing. Since I'll never get to Germany, this is great for me -- armchair travel. lol!

Catherine said...

Ooohhhh....I so want to visit Germany!! Thanks for sharing!

Joy said...

Thank you for sharing such amazing photos. How wonderful to see your son and all the gorgeous sights!

marly said...

Amazing architecture. The craftsmanship of old is jaw dropping. Beautiful city!

Gillie said...

I was posted to our embassy in Bonn before I was married so nice memories, thank you, Melissa!

Siobhan said...

Wow! What amazing scenery. The cathedral is just stunning. Bridges and going over water freak me out so I definitely would have avoided that--but the locks are cool! Loved the hotel, too! Very swanky!!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Stunning photos and what a view from up high - amazing.

Carol said...

I love seeing all your Germany photos, Melissa, because we didn't make it to that part of the country in May. Aren't those old cathedrals amazing!! You just stand there in awe wondering how they built those things so, so many years ago...

I loved all the outdoor cafes, too--food always seems to taste better when eaten outside, doesn't it?

Sylvia said...

Great pictures, Melissa. I am so glad to see and hear that you had a great time.

Lois said...

What great pictures! I really enjoyed seeing them all. The cathedral is stunning!

Kajsa said...

You are so lucky! That's one of the most beautiful cathedral's I have ever visited. Did you go to the Roman exhibit next door?

Melissa said...

Love all your pictures of Germany. I felt like I went on a trip too! The cathedral is beautiful.

Michelle said...

I've really enjoyed seeing your photos of your visit. Thanks for sharing them!

Suzanne said...

What great photos of your trip to Germany! Thank you for sharing them with us.

Brigitte said...

Melissa, I've just come to your blog to see if there's a new post and I realized that I missed the last three posts from you. Somehow I hadn't seen them in my reader.
It was a lot of fun for me to read about your trips in my country, particularly in the south-west corner, where I live. This region is really worth a visit and you seem to have liked your trip. And it must have been so great to see your son again after all these months. Is he back now to Canada?
I hope you're fine.