Followers

Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Day 5 of 10 - A new finish!

Just to shake things up a bit, no framing to show today but I have a new finish. Do you know how hard it is to stitch with a bandaged thumb? The needle either keeps sticking to my bandage, or it slips entirely out of my grasp. *ppfffft (that was an expression of exasperation!)  However...


This was a really fun stitch and perfect for summer - all those hot happy colours! The colours are a lot brighter IRL. 

The School House Sampler
by Birds of a Feather
used recommended floss on 35 ct WDW Confederate Grey linen

Now I will show you more photos from my visit to the Dr Sun Yat-Sen garden. Here is a scholar's room, complete with those brushes used for writing. Yes, it's a whole art to that calligraphy. 

Here is a display of an embroidered and beaded jacket, and some masks.
Notice those teeny tiny shoes (more like red booties)? Women used to get their feet bound - a form of torture that was regarded as a thing of beauty. Why does it always involve pain though? Think of the European corsets! 
A silk embroidered screen.
These "windows" that provide different "vistas" when you walk through the garden.
We were lucky that it wasn't very busy when we went to visit on Sunday so it felt quite serene. 


Well, I'm halfway through my 10 day challenge and I'm hanging in there! Thanks for coming to visit me every day!


Are you looking forward to seeing what will come out of the Baltimore Needlework Market? I am really excited about the new book from the Barb & Alma (Blackbird Designs) and who knows what other new creations they will have! What have you got on your must-have list? 

14 comments:

Margaret said...

Speaking of torture, women torture themselves now too -- with high heels. :D Just wanted to point that out. lol! I don't wear them myself.

Loooooove your finish!!!! It's wonderful! Ah, I always love what you stitch!

Love the pics of the Chinese garden too. It always astounds me to see the tiny shoes from bound feet. You know my paternal grandmother had bound feet? She showed us her bare feet once. Ugh!!!

I'm enjoying your daily posts so much!! Keep it up! :D I'm cheering you on!

Catherine said...

I agree with Margaret on modern day torture!! What about tweezing and waxing?

Love your sweet finish - I don't think I have ever seen that one!

Theresa said...

I totally agree with Margaret and Catherine about women torture!!! Luckily we can do it by choice now.

Love your latest finish!!!!! Keep them coming~~

Gabi said...

Gorgeous finish. Congrats. Love the pictures from the Dr Sun Yat-sen garden.
And had a giggle about Margaret and Catherines comments. They are so right. Although I still wear high heels on rare occasions.

valerie said...

Oh yea...the waxing of everything! And heels...can't wear them because I always fall down. And fancy undergarments that aren't comfortable. And control top. There's tons of modern day torture going on.

Love your BOAF finish! I saw this somewhere else on the internets and can't remember where. It's such a fun design!

Annemarie said...

Oh my, what a lovely finish, Melissa! Never saw that design, but it does look very bright and summery and cheery.
I have on my wishlist... my own UFOs. NO NEW THINGS. And don't you dare show anything to whet my appetite!
Yes, heels and waxing and all that sort of nonsense is torture too, but I will never forget the description of bound feet in "Wild Swans". It haunts me to this day.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

BOAF designs always look good and are fun to stitch too. I'm looking forward to new releases too but I've found recent releases a bit disappointing across the board - I don't know why.

KarenV said...

That's a pretty finish Melissa, very colourful!

Siobhan said...

I agree with Margaret and Catherine, though I do both--wax/tweeze and sometimes wear heels. LOL Have you read "Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See? In it, one of the characters binds her feet and oh my goodness is all I can say while I try not to be sick.

Congratulations on the finish!! I love it--love BOAF. They are so fun and whimsical.

I think that thus far, the only thing I'm looking forward to from Market (and know of, really) is the BBD book! I know I'll love their other releases, too.

Lois said...

I am late coming to your 10 day challenge but, oh my, you have been busy! Love all your framed pieces and that BOAF is looking good! I always love the colours BOAF use, so often they are not the ones I tend towards and it's fun for me to step out of my comfort zone where colours are concerned.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

What a wonderful, sweet finish! The colors are so bright and cheerful - love it!

Don't love the shoes for bound feet - as torturous as the things we choose to do are, I can't imagine the agony of binding one's feet. The embroidered jacket though, is stunning!

Carol said...

That is such a happy looking piece, Melissa--I'll bet you really enjoyed it... Cute little scissors, too!

Great job on making it half-way through your 10 day challenge--I've enjoyed "visiting" you (almost) every day :)

mainely stitching said...

What a great finish!

Karoline said...

Gorgeous finish, congratulations