Followers

Sunday, 28 August 2011

As August draws to a close

Our summer has fitted snugly into the month of August. I think we might have had a few days of rain but not much. It's hard to believe it's almost the end of August but I must confess I am looking forward to Fall! 

Here's my small finish this week - the "Silk Sampler" by Birds of a Feather.
Here is she, quite a handsome piece. 
Gabi, you had asked about what silks I am using. They are all Silk N Colour. They are: Finnegan's Fog, Aqua Clouds, and Burnished Gold.  I had a lot of problems with this silk shredding on me. I've never had it happen quite so often before. I was thankful that this was a small sampler to stitch! 

Now, here is a small piece I had framed. I actually found this frame for $15 and thought it was so funky!  
Framed is "Good Cheer" by The Goode Huswife. I thought it was just perfect for the frame! 
 Daisy: Hey, look at me! Take a picture. Aren't I cute?
Daisy: OK, you can go now. I'm bored with you paparazzi!

Thank you for your lovely comments from the last post. I want to answer a couple of questions/comments:

(1) The design on my blog header is called "A Very Fine Sampler" by Birds of a Feather.  While it's an old design, it's still in print so you can order it from your needlework shop.

(2) The frames I use are ALL wood. I don't use metal frames. Some of the frames have finishes that make them look like they might be metal, but they are not. 

(3) I have a little quirk regarding putting together my sampler walls. I keep the frames in each sampler wall cohesive in colour so I won't mix a brown frame with a silver frame, for example. As you can imagine, sometimes it takes me awhile to put together the pieces that I think will 'fit' together.

OK, that's me for another week. Work is keeping me busy but it's ok. It pays for my framing! (I'll be showing more framing but bit by bit so you'll come by, right?)

Thank you for visiting! Enjoy the rest of August, then hello, September!

25 comments:

mainely stitching said...

Oh my walls would drive you nutty, I guess - I absolutely LOVE to mix as many different frame types together as possible. I'm still 'reacting' from my mom's rule that all pictures on a wall had to have exactly the same frame. Ahhhh - it drove me crazy.

I love your finish, and what fab colors!! Some SNC do shred wickedly, but my gripe for that still goes to the Crescent Colours silks. NPS is the best, IMHO, but they don't have the massive array of colors that other lines put out.

Wonderful frame, too, for Good Cheer!! :D

Penny said...

I love the color names of the threads. That's a shame about the shredding though. Thankfully I've never encountered that problem. I don't have a sampler wall, but if I did I probably would try and keep the frames pretty similar. Daisy is cute!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Love your Silk Sampler... congrats on your finish. Great frame find.

Carol said...

I somehow missed your last post, Melissa, so I went back and peaked--what a great grouping of samplers you have on your TV wall... The colors and frames all blend so beautifully :)

Very pretty finish and such a cute frame for the Goode Huswife piece. Daisy is posing so perfectly with your samplers in that first photo. Then in the second, she looks like she's being shy--so darling!! I sure miss having a kitty in the house...

valerie said...

Congrats on the new finish! It seems like you're speeding along with the stitching and framing! Good Cheer looks great in that frame. And Daisy is funny! At least she posed for a photo!

Theresa said...

Beautiful finish on the "Silk Sampler"!! The colors are so beautiful!!!!

I love your frame for "Good Cheer", it does look funky - in a very good way~~~

Daisy is sooooo cute!!!! Love the photos~~~ Thanks for sharing!!!

Gabi said...

Your silk sampler turned out gorgeous. Congrats. Love it.
Lovely wall with beautiful stitching.
And of course Good Cheer is a piece that got me also drooling

Siobhan said...

What a sweet finish! You can't go wrong with a BoaF! I don't know if I've seen that design before--it's so sweet. Love the colors that you used!

Your feline model, showing off your sampler wall, is adorable!

Hazel said...

Beautiful finish and your sampler wall looks fab. Interesting how you fit them together. I will take note of that. x

Katrina said...

Cute kitty and I love your finish!!!! The colors are gorgeous. I am still sad BOAF stopped designing cross stitch pieces :-(.

Jan said...

Melissa, your sampler wall is gorgeous!!!!!! And Kitty is purdiful too!

This is beautiful, your newest finish. Honestly I don't believe I have seen it before! Love your frame choice too for the good huswife, it is sweet and perfect!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your choice of frame always sets the piece off to perfection. I love your little "model" - she's a natural!

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

Very beautiful,

marylin FRANCE

Laura said...

Love all of these pictures!!!!! Super love to the Good Cheer stitch and its frame!!! Drool!!!!! Love your sweet kitty too!

KarenV said...

Lovely finish Melissa, I like the blue and gold colour combination a lot! Good Cheer looks perfect in that frame too - nice choice.

Anne said...

Ooh I really love the Silk Sampler with those colours! Its such a pretty design with a mix of quaker and sampler. Good to know that the Silk n Colour silks shred so I won't purchase those in the future. I think I'll stick to NPI as I find they are decently priced and are wonderful to work with. You need to pass on your secrets for framing when I see you, and where you find such amazing frames for so cheap! I adore the Good Cheer pattern and the frame is perfect!!

You have a very sweet kitty and I love how she poses :D

Joy said...

Your silk sampler is lovely. Have to agree with mainely stitching...my walls would drive you nuts...I just frame my pieces in what looks good and hang them!

Your wall (and kitty) are perfect!

Suzanne said...

A very nice finish!

Another lovely collection of sampler pieces.

Sharon said...

Such a lovely finish! I had not seen that one before now. Congrats!

Measi said...

Silk Sampler is gorgeous! Such wonderful, relaxing colors. Congrats on the finish. :)

Karoline said...

Your Silk Sampler is gorgeous, congratulations

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Both finishes are wonderful, Melissa! I especially love Good Cheer! Your wall is wonderful and your kitty looks adorable.

Just Me and My Shadow said...

Love your Sampler wall and pictures with your kitty posing. Very cute.

Teresa S. said...

Absolutely LOVE the frame for Good Cheer-looks fantastic!

Berit said...

Adorable! Cats make a stitching photo!

I am still loving your VF Sampler; weird as I don't even like butterflies! This may be one I need to get. (well, it has been for a while, but the time may be soon.)