Followers

Saturday, 16 July 2011

Rain Rain Go Away...

There's not much I can do about the rain Outside, but thankfully I have my own Garden of Eden inside. Here it is - finished!

Garden of Eden
by The Goode Huswife

I used the recommended DMC floss, with a few additions of my own. Here are the other colours that I used - WDW Baked Apple, Celadon, Confederate Grey, Chestnut, Havana, Purple Haze, and DMC 3773 which I used for the center of the tulips. I stitched this 1 over 2 on 35 count WDW "Linen" linen.  I sprayed a bit of "Distress It" on the linen before I started stitching. 

I love how it turned out! I used the recommended DMC floss as the basic palette, but added my own colours here and there to just add a bit more brightness to the design.

I finished stitching it last Saturday and it took a few days to figure out what to stitch next. I will show you my current WIP, but first, a few other things. 

The next photo is art imitating life, or vice versa. I had snipped some astrantia flowers for the vase, then noticed how similar they seem to be to this Blackbird Design finish - the name escapes me at the moment. 
Here is another purple-y flower - a butterfly fly bush so aptly named as it attracts butterflies. Usually we don't get one as striking as this one that visited us last week (when the sun was out!).
Now, I have to show you this new acquisition - this wonderful bunny pincushion was made by the very talented Cathy at The Cheswick Company. When I saw this post from Margaret, I wanted a neat pincushion too! I love how this bunny turned out.
As I have said before it took me days to figure out what to stitch next. Then I remembered that I wanted to stitch designers I haven't stitch before, or for awhile, so I browsed through my Prairie Schooler and decided since I am in the Garden mood, there are a few band samplers I would love to stitch!

And Guess What? I am trying stitching on 40 ct! I can see why people would love it as the stitch comes out so delicate. However, my eyes are warning me this is not something they will allow me to keep doing!

This one is the Birdhouse sampler from the Garden Samplers book. If you have stitched this one, you'll notice that I have made a big boo-boo in the bottom right corner. However, instead of frogging I will somehow fudge-it!  We'll see how it turns out!
Thank you for your lovely comments on my last post, and your helpful advice re planning the trip. I have gotten more information so we shall see how things end up! 

I hope you are having a good summer. I hear either it's dreadfully hot, or like here, too cloudy and wet! Whatever the weather, Daisy and Julius enjoy chilling out on their window seat! Thanks for visiting. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a good week ahead!

36 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh I love that Garden of Eden Sampler! I need to dig through my stash and dig this one out. (You do that to me with every piece you stitch. You know that, right?) Love the flowers with the BBD piece too! And your garden of course. Love Prairie Schooler -- good choice for the next project! Your kitties look so happy lying there. lol!

Nancy said...

Love your G of E Sampler! The BBD is gorgeous, not one that I have seen before. PS has the prettiest samplers, looking forward to more progress pics of yours! Cute kitties!! Almost forgot, that pincushion is adorable!

Deb said...

Oh dear - that A&E has been on my hit list for a while. I absolutely love the changes you made to it. I'm going to have to make a note because I thought the pattern a bit drab, but I just love how you racked it up a notch! It looks great.

I love your BBD piece too! I don't think I've seen that one before either. I think I may have to go hunting through my patterns.

The butterfly pic is wonderful and so is your pincushion. And 40 count! It strains my eyes too, but somehow my eyes manage to adjust, but I'm usually glad to back to my regular fabric.

marly said...

Your Garden of Eden is lovely and you obviously made some good color choices. That doesn't always work out for me! The BBD with your flowers is so cool, but that pincushion!!! S W E E T!! I love it, love it. I don't think I could stitch 40 count - good for you. Looks like your two sweeties are pals.

samplerlover said...

Oh I love your A&E. It looks lovely. How amazing your flowers are to the BBD piece. They look lovely together and I really love your Pin Cushion. It is really lovely. - Sandra.

mainely stitching said...

Beautiful finish! And love your new start! :) I think I have pin cushion envy ....

Karen said...

Congrats on such a pretty finish! Love your new start too. Your pin cushion is just darling.. will have to check the site out.


happy stitching....

Glenna said...

Loving the BB Designs photo, the A&E sampler and the new start, as well as the butterfly on the butterfly bush (doesn't he look fake kind of?) I adore that pin cushion too, as you can imagine.

WoolenSails said...

Your sampler turned out beautifully and I love your new pin cushion.

Debbie

Laurie in Iowa said...

Congrats on finishing The Garden of Eden. It looks fabulous. Love the Bunny pincushion.

Ellen said...

Gorgeous stitching, congrats on the finish. I love the BBD piece, it looks great with your flowers!

Love your pincushion, it's cute!

Hugs,

Mary said...

What a great 'newsy' post. I loved the Garden of Eden - both the stitched one and the one beyond the window. Daisy and Julius look so contented on their window seat.
Have fun planning that holiday.
Mary

Rowyn said...

I love your Garden of Eden finish, and your adorable bunny pincushion.

Your kitties look very content. Are they siblings? Two of my four are siblings, and they will sometimes snuggle up with one another.

We've had lots of rain lately too, but were lucky to have a dry and at times sunny weekend (but oh so very cold).

Gabi said...

What a beautiful finish!!! Your Garden of Eden turned out so very lovely.
The framed BBD piece looks lovely too and the stitched flowers resemble the ones in the vase a lot indeed.
Your Birdhouse Sampler looks gorgeous too. Can't see anything wrong with it. :)

Irene said...

Love how the flowers and BBD look so much alike. I must have blinked last week and missed the sun :)

Anonymous said...

OH my ,I love the colors you used for Garden of Eden. Thanks for the information ,i took note :-)))
i really should start this one
The BBD flowers are lovely, very nice picture the pincushion is tempting, also your PS start is another in my to do pile.

Help!!!

Have a great weekend, Nicole(Belgium)

Carol said...

Oh, I'm in love with that darling pincushion you bought, Melissa--it is just precious! Thanks for the link--I'll keep an eye open for other creations from Cathy.

Your newest finish is wonderful--such beautiful colors and so many details. It looks like it was very enjoyable to stitch.

Your new PS is one of my favorites--still need to get mine framed...I just stitched something on 40 ct. for the first time and loved it, too. I'll definitely be doing it again :)

Tracey said...

Please send some of your rain here to us in Ontario!

Great photos and finishes... love the Garden of Eden! What exactly do you mean when you said you sprayed some "Distress it" to the linen before you started stitching??

Anne said...

I love that Garden of Eden pattern by the Goode Huswife! Congrats on your finish! You are lucky to have seen that butterfly, I haven't seen any yet due to all this rain! I'm glad you like the 40 ct! I am loving it too. What helps is to do it in the daytime and to switch to another piece you are working on with larger count!

Siobhan said...

Your kitties are adorable! Awww, so sweet. I love their names.

Your A&E is FANTASTIC!! I need to dig mine out and get it started. Your framed BBD is fabulous, too--great choice on the moulding!

Have a wonderful week.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I love the border on the Garden of Eden, it really finishes the piece to perfection. Cats truly know how to relax, do they not. What a gorgeous butterfly and your pincushion is so appealing - lucky you.

staci said...

Beautiful stitching! Your kitties sure look sweet...I felt like lazing about just like them this morning!

Linda said...

Oh my goodness....thanks for the link to The Cheswick Company. What beautiful creations and patterns! Your sampler is gorgeous. I love The Goode Huswife!

Cardygirl said...

Beautiful stitching. Your A & E sampler is lovely. I love 40ct but always use magnification...age!

Vonna said...

A glorious finish, I have this one stowed away all kitted up ready and waiting.....I love yours for sure and am drooling thinking about it! What a gorgeous framed piece...stunning!

valerie said...

Congrats on your finish! It looks great. I love your display of astrantia next to the BBD. They match perfectly! Hope the weather warms up for you. It's been a funky summer on the West Coast so far...

Catherine said...

Love your finish!! And the BBD piece with your flowers, simply sweet!!

Cute kitties!!

Theresa said...

Your Garden of Eden finish is gorgeous!!!!!!! The little changes you made on it really makes this yours~~ Nice touch!!

The astrantia display really does look similar with your BBD piece!!!! How much fun that is~

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the great finish!

Pointed Stitcher said...

Beautiful stitching and finishes.

Lois said...

Love how Garden of Eden turned out, your colour changes work perfectly! What a cute bunny! I am full of admiration at your 40ct stitching! Hope your weather brightens up a little. Maybe we will both have a scorching August.

Nicole said...

Garden of Eden turned out so pretty Melissa!! Has the rain stopped yet? We sure could use some down here in South Carolina!

Karoline said...

Garden of Eden is gorgeous, congratulations

Your flowers are lovely.

Heidi said...

Oh Melissa...it is beautiful! Must feel wonderful to see it sitting there all finished. And you are so right about the BD Designs piece. The flowers are so pretty with it.

Love seeing your cats. Mine says meow in a greeting to them. :-)

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

KarenV said...

Melissa, your finish is wonderful! I really love the colour changes you've made, the palette is now a very pretty one. Love your two kitties snuggling in the last photo :)

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

OK! You know I'm your biggest fan, right? I absolutely LOVE your changes to Garden of Eden. I will make note of your changes and will totaly copy what you've done. Maybe this will inspire me to stitch - something I haven't done in about a month. You made the sampler look SO much better.
Your BBD finish, sitting next to the flowers is just perfect!

Your kitties are beautiful!