Followers

Sunday, 19 June 2011

Bz..Bz...Busy!

Gosh, Life has fast-forwarded again to Busy but it's all in a good way. Gardening has taken the front seat, and stitching the back. On top of that, suprising to me, a job came calling one day and I went back to work a couple of weeks ago. It's just part time for now but I say that's a pretty good deal for the summer! 


So, I'll catch us up first with Gardening, then Stitching. Fast forward if you just want to see my latest finish.

In the second half of May we started doing some heavy duty garden renovations. Put it in a more humbling way - it was just a lot of weeding and cleaning up the garden beds. In the spring I had found that moss had taken over one bed so badly that it was choking out some of my plants! Henceforth, with lots of time on my hand, I got out there with the head gardener (DH) and we got down and dirty wrestling with moss, weeds and all sorts of lovely organic things!  Now, garden photos!

Let's start with a David Austin Rose, Golden Celebration. This bloom is about the size of my hand! And it is  so fragrant!
This is another David Austin Rose, Leander. It is very vigorous and full of blooms every year!

Hmmm, I guess I like David Austin Roses. Here's Pat Austin (named after his wife) - an absolutely stunning orange-coppery colour!
 Pink Peace. This bloom is about the size of my hand as well!
 The following is a shade loving plant with lovely blooms - Astrantia.
Here's a shot of the backyard from our deck. That bed you see was filled with moss and weeds and now looks very neat and serene. I must say that the plants have thrived since we did this work.  Not loving the ivy on the fence but it's from the neighbours - not much we can do except just to keep it under control! And those pots - they are still our work-in-progress.
And I tried my hand with potting a lot of newly purchased succulents.  Eventually they should grow and overflow out of the pot (or something like that!).

OK. That's probably enough garden shots, eh?  The garden obsession thing has got me this Spring!


Now, finally, stitching!  

The Pinkhouse Sampler
Designer = Little by Little
used recommended DMC floss on 35 ct WDW "Parchment" linen

This was a lovely, fun stitch! I think this is the first time I've stitched a "Little by Little" design even though I have quite a few of Cynthia's charts. One of my goals for stitching this year, it turns out, is to stitch designs by different designers and so far I've done eight! 

Before I forget - someone asked me in my last post how long it took me to stitch Ann Taylor. I never keep track of hours but I thought I would give it a guess. It took me about 23 days elapsed from start to finish but I know I did not stitch every day.  A good guess would be anywhere from 60 - 80 hours.  

I'm a bit hyper these days trying to fit so much fun into my day. I include work in that, believe it or not. I'm working with a bunch of nice people I knew from a few years ago so that's a bonus. Besides that I have a stack of library books to read! Yes, an embarassment of riches and a blessing indeed! 

Thank you all for visiting and as always, love your comments!  Hope the start of summer will treat you well. (Here we are waiting for some sunshine to return!) Take care!

35 comments:

Pat said...

Your roses and garden are beautiful. I did not know that the Astrantia is a shade lover, but I think it is very pretty.

Love your sampler - great work.

Anne said...

Ooh you roses are lovely!! Nice to see that they are out, which must mean the Stanley Park rose garden must be in bloom too! Your garden is so lovely and trim! I unfortunately don't have a garden nor a patio so I fill my urges to garden in my Nana's garden. I might have to hunt for some rocks for her and edge hers! Good luck with the succulents. My hubby and I never had much luck with them (I think we overwatered). The Pinkhouse sampler is sweet and the colours are nice and soft. You do stitch very quickly though! This would take me a couple of months to do.

Chris said...

Hi Melissa,
The garden looks beautiful and the roses are amazing.
The Pink House sampler looks great too. You have been getting a lot done.

Margaret said...

Oh I love that sampler! I love Little by Little! Is that a camel? Neat! Your roses are absolutely amazing! I'm so not a gardener, so I love seeing your garden!

WoolenSails said...

Those are beautiful roses, I can see you really care for them. Love your new sampler, the lettering is wonderful, like how it is off, here and there.

Debbie

Cathy B said...

Gorgeous roses! Beautiful sampler!

Gillie said...

Love the roses - just to make you jealous I get to visit David Austin Roses here in England in a couple of weeks! Lovely stitching too!

Joanie said...

Beautiful flowers and beautiful sampler! Love all of what you've posted!

Carol said...

Oh, those roses are spectacular, Melissa! I'm so jealous!! One year my husband and sons planted a rose garden for me right outside my kitchen window--by next year they were all dead :( Our soil is so filled with clay that roses just don't do well here. Luckily, hydrangeas have taken their place and they seem to be thriving.

Love your latest sampler--the pinks are gorgeous :) And enjoy that part-time summer job. I work part-time and you really have the best of both worlds!

Nancy said...

Beautiful roses and garden pictures! Lovely sampler finish! I am not familar with that designer, will have to 'google' her. Part time work is so nice. Gives you some spending money and doesn't eat up too much of your time! Enjoy!

Catherine said...

What stunning roses!!! The ones I used to have never looked like that!!!!

What a sweet finish - love the colors!!

Giovanna said...

Your roses are just spectacular! And lovely stitching on the LbL sampler, so pretty!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Love the Pink House sampler. Congrats on your finish. Your garden looks wonderful.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

What gorgeous roses you have, Melissa! My roses have done very well this year too but they are not the stunners yours are. Gorgeous. I also really like youf meandering flower bed and the trellis looks so pretty.

Great finish, too! The color on the house looks overdyed - really a pretty finish. Congrats!

Can't wait to see what's next!

marly said...

I like the color variations in the succulents, and your roses are superb! So is Ann Taylor. Just beautiful. Pinkhouse is sweet - another design I've not seen before. Very nice post!

Joy said...

Your roses are just beautiful! And your back yard looks so inviting. Love your finish. Enjoy your all of your blessings.

valerie said...

Melissa, I just love seeing your roses and garden. They are beautiful!

Congrats on your gorgeous sampler finish!

Gabi said...

Gorgeous roses.
The Pinkhouse Sampler looks fantastic. Love it.

retriever said...

Hello from Belgium, lovely blog and handcréations.

Valerie said...

Congrats on another fabulous finish! I am envious!

Your roses are stunning! What beautiful blooms!

Theresa said...

LOVE your roses!!!!!! They are gorgeous!!!!!

Your Pinkhouse is adorable~~~ What a fun stitch it is!!!

Kathleen From Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I have always heard about how wonderful David Austin roses are, but have never ventured into trying to raise them. We are under severe drought here in Texas right now, so maybe I might try next growing season. Your stitching is just lovely!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Beautiful roses Melissa, such a lovely mix of flowers. Our roses are much further behind due to the weather. I'm so glad you've been given a part time job, as you say it's ideal for this time of year - enjoy it.

Lois said...

Love your new start! What beautiful roses! Out weather has been so dull and cool that my roses are thinking summer is never going to arrive. They are struggling to make a show but then the wind and rain just gives them such a hard time!

Wendy said...

Your roses are such amazing colours - those are great close-up shots of them. And I love your little succulent pot. My daughter started an indoor one that is really sweet, and has now started another...and another! Watch out - they appear to be contagious :-D

Katrina said...

Woohoo congrats on the job, I think part time is perfect all the time ;-).

Gorgeous garden pics and I love your finish. I don't think I've ever seen that Little by Little design, I am going to have to get it :-).

♥marylin♥ said...

Oh les fleurs et le sampler sont magnifiques !
amitiés de France

marylin

Von said...

Loved seeing your DA roses as I'm a great fan myself.

KarenV said...

Your roses are stunning Melissa! Our one patio rose has done very well (although it bloomed really early due to the warm spring) but the other didn't - I think it's in too shady a spot. The climbing rose has been fabulous this year too but is in dire need of dead-heading and tidying up!

I LOVE your sampler finish - I bought a couple of LbL charts earlier this year and was debating whether or not to get this one, but eventually I didn't. I think it'll have to go on the list though - I love that sideways bird!

Brigitte said...

What a source of pleasure and happiness a garden can be. Yours looks wonderful with all the beautiful roses you have.
I just love your sampler finish. Little By Little is one of my favourite designers and I have a couple of their charts. I was also choosing projects from 15 different designers when I joined the Crazy January Challenge at the beginning of this year. And it's so much fun to alternate all the different styles and motives. I'm already very curious to see what you chose next.
Good to know that you are having so much fun at work.

Suzanne said...

Thank you for the kind comment you left on my blog on the birth of Felix.

What a beautiful garden you have, those roses are gorgeous.

I love your sampler finish, it's quite stunning!

Karoline said...

Your garden is lovely and Pink House sampler is gorgeous, congratulations

Siobhan said...

What gorgeous flowers!! I keep thinking of climbing roses and would love to plant some. Or, okay, would love to buy them and have somebody else plant them!! LOL

Your sampler is fantastic!! I need to do more LbL charts. They have such great designs. Congratulations on the finish!

Solstitches said...

Your garden is very pretty - what a magnificent display of roses.
Your sampler is fabulous!

Margaret

Jane said...

Hi Melissa, just dropping by for a quick look at your blog. I'm still busy with, well, you know what:) No stitching or blogging for me at the moment. Your flowers and garden are looking wonderful. I'm glad you have a bit of work to keep you busy too. Take care for now and hugs to you!