Sunday, March 6, 2011

Frogs, Houses, Farmgirl and Chickens

Frogs - since my last post there have been lots of frogging going on around here! Frogging out the stitches from the too-small project that didn't work out. Thankfully, the linen survived unscathed. Then more frogging as I tried out different projects, having a hard time settling down to anything! 

Finally, I settled on this House:

The design is The Brown House Sampler by The Middle Row, a very old chart. I made a few changes as you can see:

I made the Brown house Red and spiced things up a bit. Hope that looks ok. 
 
That border was what caught my eye about the design, but oy, I paid the price for it! It was not what I would call an "even" border in that sometimes the design was a stitch + or - here and there. I've never frogged and re-stitched so much as on this piece! But I suppose it was worth it in the end!

Don't ask me what my next project is as I'm still trying to figure that out. In the last two weeks I waited for my silks and/or linen to arrive. Nada. There's something wrong with the mail system somewhere as things seem to be getting stuck. I figure it must have something to do with the winter weather. 

Now comes what I think is the fun part of this post.

First, I have to get you prepped. Imagine yourself in your Farmgirl (or farmboy) outfit, in your country kitchen. Got that? Me - I am dressed in a country dress with funky flowers, with worn cowboy boots and surrounded by some feathered friends. 


Ready? Sing it with me now!
OH, Chick, Chick, Chick, Chick
Chicken, Lay a Little Egg for 
ME...Chick Chick Chick Chick
Chicken, I want One for My 
Tea. I haven't had an Egg
Since Breakfast, and now
it's 1/2 past 3.   SO! Chick,, Chick
Chick Chick Chicken, Lay a
Little Egg for ME!...
Isn't that brilliant?  The pillow comes from designer Kate Toms, and is featured in page 14 of the February 2011 issues of Country Living (British Edition). I thought it was so cute, except I was browsing the magazine at bedtime so this little ditty, that I put to music in my head, just kept playing in my head and I had a hard time going to sleep!!!

Also, I dedicate this little song to Barbara and her gang, feathered and otherwise at Chateau Chaos.  If you have been following her blog then you know her adventures with her (growing) flock in the last year. Visiting her blog always put a big smile on my face. 

As I've said I've had a hard time settling on a project. I can blame waiting for supplies to arrive in the mail, but I think it may be a hint of waiting-for-spring fever. We had some snow last week but it's gone and this weekend has been brilliant. The snowdrops are all out nodding in the sunshine. 

Last bit of news - I'm back at work! Since mid week I've got a new assignment and even a new location! Downtown! How cool is that!? That will be fun as the weather gets nicer and I can go on exploratory walks at lunch time. The dangerous part of working downtown, of course, is all the opportunities to eat out, and also to shop! ;-)  Ah well, it will be a test of willpower. 

Thank you for stopping by! Have a good week ahead.

32 comments:

valerie said...

Congrats on your finish! Love the modifications. And congrats on the work news. I know you were stressed not knowing about your next assignment. Hope you're enjoying the weekend!

BeckySC said...

Just beautiful, congratulations-you always stitch such beautiful designs!!
(((hugs friend)))
BeckySC

Siobhan said...

I'm so glad to hear about the job! Congratulations!! Take pics of downtown--I would love to see it!

Congratulations on a gorgeous finish!

Hazel said...

Glad to hear about the job. Good news in these times. Love your red/brown house. Can't wait to see your next project. x

Margaret said...

Oh I love your finish! I've never even heard of that designer so I know it's an old one. Love that piece you found in the British Country Living too -- how fun! Congrats on the job -- glad to hear about it! Now for the shopping..... lol!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Glad everything has worked out for you this week. I know what you mean about waiting for things to arrive and about not settling to anything. I went through that for a few weeks and I'm gradually getting back to normal. I'm sure you will too.

Jan said...

Melissa, golly, be moses, I HEART that little house sampler! I am thinking it is that border for me too!

Anyway, it is adorable!! May have to do some searching for that one!

Love your little ditty song too, lol! And the work, what great news!!! ^-^

Hope you find just the perfect piece, very soon, and/or that the mail starts moving your way!!

merumo said...

Congrats on your lovely red house finish! I love the border a lot!! What a cool looking thing!?

Anne said...

Love your finish and the red house! I think it is spicier than the brown! Frogging has been my nemesis too with that little needlebook pattern I started! Perhaps it is the change in weather that has made us a little less mindful of our stitches. Congrats on your new downtown job! I go downtown quite a bit and am always amazed at what is being built. Definitely check out gastown. That area has really changed a lot and is fun to explore. Hopefully your stash will arrive soon too!

Take care, Anne

Laurie in Iowa said...

The Brown House sampler is very sweet. Congrats on your finish. The border is wonderful.
Congrats on your new downtown job.

staci said...

Congrats on your Brown House finish, it turned out beautifully! (I hate those "uneven borders" because I have trouble finding a good 'rhythm', if you know what I mean, lol!)

Glenna said...

I love the red-brown house sampler, and I think the border is fabulous. Ditto the chicken pillow. Too funny about working downtown--I always have to be careful about working downtown. When I worked in Manhattan, even a trip to the drugstore was an adventure in self-control because they had such cool stuff--so much cooler than my hometown CVS!

Theresa said...

I hear you on the frongs... Been doing a lot of those lately as well. But your finished piece is so worth it!!!! It is totally adorable~~~~

mainely stitching said...

Now that did indeed bring a great big grin to my face - I'm going to sing it to the girls tomorrow morning when I deliver their breakfast. :D What a totally fabulous design! Actually, they both are great designs - and I love that border. Well worth the effort!

Congratulations on the new job!! What wonderful news! :D :D :D

Carol said...

Love your little red house, Melissa--you did the right thing by changing the color to red :) You always pick such pretty samplers, I'm sure whatever you come up with next will be lovely.

Enjoy your downtown assignment--that sounds like great fun (especially your plans for lunch hours!)...

marylin said...

Wonder what your embroidery is so beautiful! you have plenty of talent ....
kisses

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

So glad you're back to work, Melissa! Working downtown will be lots of fun, I think.

I really love your finish - that border is wonderful and I really like it with the red house - perfect!

That little chicken pillow is perfect for Barbara and her brood!

Have a great week!

Brigitte said...

Oh Melissa, I can't say how much I love your new finish. It's so gorgeous with its beautiful border and the colour changes you made. Aren't those very old designs also very charming sometimes?
Great to read that you're back at work. And I second Siobhán and would love to see some pics of downtown.
Looking forward to seeing your new project.

Katrina said...

Love your finish! And can't wait to see what you start next :-).

Congrats on the new job too, downtown sounds fun to me.

Suzanne said...

Congratulations, this is a really lovely finish!

I look forward to seeing your new start.

Nancy said...

I love your latest finish, and I think the red house looks very pretty! Borders can be one of the prettiest parts of a sampler, but they can be tedious to stitch. But they are so worth it in the end.

Congratulations on your downtown job!

Lois said...

Another lovely finish, you might have been doing lots of head-holding as regards the frogging and re-stitching but oh it's been worth it as it's a lovely piece. Congrats on job front and have you got that song out of your head yet (you do know it's now in mine for the rest of the evening!!!!)????

Blu said...

Congrats on a lovely finish! Sorry to hear that you had so much frogging, but it was definitely worth it!

Congrats on the new assignment! Have fun~

Jane said...

Great job on your finish, Melissa! It's just amazing stitching. Good news on getting some more work too. You must be pleased.

I owe you an email and will get that to you shortly. You know how things are:)

Nicole said...

Congrats on the beautiful finish Melissa!! I love the red house!

Anonymous said...

Oeps, my comment is gone :-(((
Hi Melissa,

Love the colorchanges you made, this "brown" house is so sweet.
I can imaging a border like this, with oneven stitches can cause some problems :-((


Hope your envelopes with goodies will arrive verry soon:-)
Good luck with your new job,

Nicole (Belgium)

marylin said...

oh very lovely !
marylin France

Michelle said...

Woohoo! Congrats on the new job, that is fantastic. And your new finish is lovely - I like the color changes you made too. That border is stunning, no wonder you wanted to stitch it!

Lennu said...

Dear Melissa, your finish is beautiful! I just love it, what a lovely house. The border is awesome, but I can easily imagine it was a lot of work.

Congratulations on the job!!

Susan said...

Congratulations on the finish and the JOB!

Happy Stitching!

Karoline said...

Love the new finish, it's gorgeous and congratulations on the new assignment.

That song is a favourite of Rosie's & I'm frequently serenaded with it LOL

1vanberg said...

It is so funny that I just saw your blog for the first time and the first picture is of The Middle Row house. I just bought that chart on e-bay! What attracted it to me was the border! Looking forward to following you!..Bonnie