Followers

Sunday, 9 January 2011

Let there be Light!

Good Sunday morning! It's a beautiful sunny morning here and there's snow in the forecast. Whether it will happen is another matter. We have had a full week of rain though. Whether that was conducive to returning to work, I don't know. What I can tell you is that on the first day of returning to work, Tuesday, everybody was in a daze. It was really funny and we all laughed about it. But by Wednesday, everyone woke up and realized how much work we had put aside and that there is major catch up to do! Ahhhh, can't have some fun without some payback! 

Meanwhile, a bit of stitchy progress to show you. 
I started adding in some other colours yesterday when I realized the linen I picked was on the 'blue' side and therefore wasn't very good for the warm tones of the pinks and greens that were on the recommended list. You may not be able to see the difference in the photo but I could and it bothered me. Finally when I swapped in some brighter colours that was in tone  with the linen, I felt better. Funny isn't it that we can feel when a piece is just humming along, or when something isn't quite right? 

Some of you asked me where this design comes from. It's from a book called "Better Homes and Gardens A Cross-Stitch Christmas, Celebrations in Stitches".   It's out of print but you can check amazon.com here and find copies.  

 The next photo is of an old framed piece that I found in a drawer when I was going through tidy-up in December. It is from 1994, on aida. 
Although it's a nice design, I am going to re-use the frame for something current. I did a re-use last year of another frame and it turned out really well. Funny enough it's from the same framer!  You can tell I'm very loyal once I find someone I like!  Hopefully next week I will be able to show you the new piece, along with another something else I took in which I'm very excited to see!

During the Christmas break, I was saying to my husband I wanted more light in the room where I do stitching, yoga, whatever. We were looking to get a brighter light in the ceiling but it turned out I got a good table lamp at Home Depot, of all places!  Here is a photo and you can see how it throws light above and below. 

Having this extra light in the room has made a huge difference! You hear about some people having a difficult time in the winter months due to lack of sunshine. Now I can begin to understand what that means! 

Now I have a question for you. Do you use a magnifier of some type when you stitch? I am thinking of getting a good one for when I have to stitch "over one". Please let me know if you have something that works for you. 

Thank you for your well wishes about my neck and returning to work. The week was busy but not too bad. I find now that I'm trying to do things like stretches/exercise to keep my neck/shoulder/back issues at bay, that I have to change my schedule and my habits! The latter being the more challenging but I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to wake up and make changes before things get so bad that I can't!

That's it for this week. Thank you for visiting! Have a wonderful week ahead.

28 comments:

KarenV said...

Wonderful progress on Lo Melissa! I always know when something is "off" with my stitching and I can't relax with it until I've fixed the problem, even if it means starting over. Your colour choices look great!

Lennu said...

Hi Melissa, great to hear from you again! I've been thinking of you today :)

I love the colours in your stitching, it looks beautiful. The lamp is really pretty. I've been searching for a good light for my stitching place for ages, but just can't find pretty and bright at the same time. Now I have a place to stitch with light in our bedroom, so it's better than nothing, even though not very practical.

Changing schedule and habits isn't easy, I wish you'll soon find what suits you! It's easy when you've made a new habit into a routine, but that takes some time I think. I'm happy to hear that you're better now.

Have a happy new week!

Lee said...

Lo is looking great Melissa!

I have two magnifiers. One is a simple around-the-neck style with no light that I bought at JoAnn fabrics and it's great to toss in your stitching bag if you're going somewhere. But around the house here I just recently purchased a Mighty Bright floor magnifier lamp and I love it. It's reasonably lightweight and can operate on batteries alone or it can plug in with an adapter (included). I was a little concerned about the LED's giving enough light, but after I used a friend's MB, I was sold.

Cathy B said...

I really like the colors in your "lo" - almost makes me want to re-do mine!

I haven't been using a magnifier, at least not yet - will be interested in knowing what you decide on.

Joy said...

Very pretty colors in "Lo". Nice new lamp. I guess I'm fortunate..no magnifier yet...unless you count my dollar store glasses?! I have a halogen lamp by my stitching chair, which I love, could not get along without it.

Catherine said...

So good to hear from you again! Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. Continued thoughts and prayers your way.

Your stitches are beautiful!!

Love the new light!!

I do not use a magnifier - but sometimes I think I should.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Bine said...

Wonderful progress pic of Lo How...
and you got a nice lamp there, maybe I should check out HD myself :)
Can't help you with the magnifiers though because I don't use any.

Mary said...

I think your "Lo" is looking great, Melissa.
I use "Mag Eyes" - a magnifier on a headband - for all my stitching and have a good lamp beside me at night.
Glad to hear your problems have been better.

Irene said...

Great progess on Lo. Love your new table lamp. After all that rain it's nice to see the sun today.

Cole said...

Lo is so pretty, you're making good progress :)

Margaret said...

Love your Lo! The colors look good whatever you're doing. :D As for magnification, I wear drug store reading glasses on top of my prescription glasses. I look silly, but it works great. They're pretty strong these days -- I've slowly been going up in strength. lol! Hope the neck and back issues stay away for you.

Barb said...

That is a very pretty shade on that lamp! I am always on the lookout for the unusual when I stop in at Lowe's, just in case!

I have a Daylight floor lamp with a magnifier on a swing arm and a Mighty Brite floor magnifier lamp that has LED bulbs. I also had an Ott lamp with magnifier that I gave to my mom. I've gotten very dependent on the magnifiers and lighting. I love them! There is no way I could do over 1 without the lamp.

Lo is looking lovely!

Meadows08 said...

The colours are really pretty on Lo!

I don't use a magnifier, I use an Ottlite. You can get them super cheap at Costco (I've bought 2 there for around $20 each!!!) They work so great for being able to see the linen.

I hope we get our forecasted snow on Wednesday. I like it when the kids get a snow day and we can stay home and relax! Fingers crossed...

Melissa said...

Beautiful progress on Lo! I don't use a magnifier typically. Occassionally I'll use it when I'm stitching over one or something, but not usually. Just my good strong daylights/ott lights is all I need.

Carol said...

Wonderful progress on Lo, Melissa! The colors and fabric look like they were meant for eachother... People can also check their local libraries for a copy of the BH&G book that contains the chart. That is where I found mine...

I don't use a magnifier because I am near-sighted and must where either my contacts or glasses all the time to see far away, so I just take them off and then hold the fabric close enough to see clearly. I guess this is one instance where I'm happy to have bad eyes! You know I do love my "over one" stitching :)

Karen said...

YOur project is looking great...love the color choices you have made!

Great idea to "recycle" some of the frames too... can't wait to see what finished goodies you will have.

happy stitching...

Laurie in Iowa said...

Your Lo sampler is coming along very nicely... it looks great.
I've been using magnification for the past 7 years. My first was a Dazor floor model with magnification and light. I picked up a Daylight magnifier/light on rolling casters last year. They both work very well.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Lo is looking gorgeous, Melissa! I like the colors you added to it.

I use a magnifier. I had an Ott magnifier that attached to the bent arm light but what I didn't like about it was that the light portion would be in the way of my vision if I wanted to watch TV while I stitched. While I was at Celebrations of Needlework in Louisville a couple of years ago, they were showing the Mighty Bright Light that Lee spoke to above. I got one at Hobby Lobby with a coupon and really like it. It's one piece with the LED lights just under the magnifier and I find the light and magnification really help. I like it way better than the Ott light/magnifier. My friend Julie also has the Ott and ended up getting the Mighty Bright after trying mine and she also loves it. I took the Ott light to work to use when I have time to stitch at lunch (which is rare) but it is not my favorite. Let me know if you have more questions.
Looking forward to seeing your newly framed pieces!

Deb said...

Absolutely love how Lo is coming out. I think you did right in changing your colors. Very pretty.

I, like Terri, use a Mighty Bright light also - bought at Hobby Lobby with a coupon. It's fantastic for stitching over those higher count fabrics!

valerie said...

OttLite at Costco? How come I don't see that stuff when I'm there? I don't use a magnifier but I've tried the clip on one and I didn't like it. I saw the MagEyes comment and that sounds interesting. I don't need a magnifier if I am using a qsnap or stitching in hand but sometimes I feel like I need one when using a frame. Just need to figure out something else.

Love your progress on Lo. It looks great!

It's been very cold and gloomy here...brrrrr!!

mainely stitching said...

I bought a lighted magnifier on sale, but I don't use it much. I should though, because my stitching is a lot neater when I do.

Glenna said...

I don't use a magnifier at all. Someday probably...

I'm gald your back/neck/shoulder stuff is under control, and I agree that a good light makes a huge difference. LHaR is a very pretty piece, and I feel the same way if I have the "wrong" color--uneasy until I fix it. Happy week!

Sheila said...

I use the Mag-Eyes headband magnifying glasses and they are FABULOUS! I also have a good daylight-bulb light beside me. I cannot recommend those headband mag glasses high enough, and everyone who has tried them has agreed. :)

Lois said...

I love how 'Lo' is turning out and totally understand why you needed to make a few changes when the colours weren't sitting well with you. It's looking great. Looking forward to seeing what you frame in the one you're going to re-use.

Hope the snow passes you by!

Siobhan said...

Lo looks great, Melissa! I like the piece that you found, too... love the frame, too!

I used to scoff at my friend with seasonal affective disorder--or whatever it's called--but oy, I seriously have that! It's gray and gloomy and pouring rain today, the first day the kids are back at school, and I just want to hundle under a blanket under my Daylight lamp. Your new lamp looks great! Nice and functional as well as good for stitching. My Daylight lamp looks a bit clinical... like something you'd find in an OB/GYN's office, but it gets the job done. LOL

I don't use a magnifier on a regular basis but have some of those mag-eyes--the readers that have the magnifying lenses in glasses. I keep a pair in my purse for when I might stitch in the car & one in my stand for when I'm at home. I'm near sighted ad like to stitch while watching TV, so I am sure I look a sight with one pair of glasses against my face and the readers perched on the end of my nose, but as with the light--it gets the job done!

Kellie said...

Your Lo How a Rose looks wonderful! Glad your neck and back issues are improving some. I don't use a magnifier yet, so I can't help you there. :)

Karoline said...

Lo is looking lovely, great progress

Suzanne said...

Lovely work on Lo, the colour changes look great. I don't use a magnifier, but I have a small and very bright light that sits above my shoulder in the evenings. It can be adjusted for two brightness settings. I find this helps a lot and is much better than the room lighting.