Followers

Sunday, 14 November 2010

Stitching and Reading

Let's see how brief I can make this post. My neck and back have been really complaining so I'm going to have to put a pause on the stitching and start back on some exercises to fix the problem! (Does that happen to you?)

The new start - Elizabeth Easton by The Goode Huswife. 

  
I am using the recommended DMC floss on 36 ct PTP "Legacy" linen. I love the linen which is just lightly mottled.

A wonderful quilt design on sale here.  I borrowed the photo from Bloom's site so you can see it. I did a bit of quilting many, many years ago and while I no long quilt I still admire the many quilts I see on the blogs. 
 I just love the colours Roz used on this quilt. 

Now, for reading.
  
Into the Blue, by Robert Goddard. I had heard about this book a long time ago. I found the audio version at the library and really enjoyed this mystery - all the winding backwards to get to the truth, and at the end, the philosophical question that is posed upon the reader. 

Room, by Emma Donaghue.  This was was recently nominated for the Man Booker prize. It didn't win but what a story!  Once upon a time, a 19 year old girl was abducted and kept as a prisoner for 7 years - I'm sure you will recall similar headlines in the last year or so. This story, however, is told entirely from the voice of a 5 year old boy named Jack, who was born during this 'captivity'. It begins on the morning he turns 5. 

I could write lots about the book. If you click on the link you can read more reviews on Amazon. I'm just amazed at the talent and insight of the writer. It's like a photographer can aim his lense at something and show entirely new views you hadn't imagined. I like stories that make me think as well as feel, long after the last page is read. 

I apologize for a very curt post. I'm in some discomfort and sitting at the computer doesn't help either! I will leave you with a photo of some of my roses, dried. I think they are equally beautiful, all their essence condensed before the petals completely separate. 

Thank you, as always, for your visits and your lovely comments. I hope I will return next time in better form! Take care and have a good week!

27 comments:

Hazel said...

Your new start is gorgeous! I love it and the linen too. I have started to feel pains inmy neck and shoulders and wrists so I am right there with you hun. I wonder if it is the cold in my case. The books look like an interesting read. Hugsxxx

Irene said...

Hope you feel better soon.

KarenV said...

Great new start Melissa, I love the thread colours on that fabric, very pretty!

Hope your aches and pains are healed soon, I have similar problems sometimes caused by poor posture when stitching, so I can totally relate.

Karen said...

I love your new start. Your fabric choice is perfect! I love the slight varigation to it.

I hope you feel better soon!

Danielle said...

I love Goode Huswife--this makes me want to pull out one of her designs and start stitching on it right now! :) And I started Room, but I think I didn't stick with it long enough--I wasn't sure how I would do with a whole book narrated by a five year old. Now I have the audio--the CDs and am trying to figure out if I can save them to my computer and then move the files to my MP3 player as I listen to that much more often. I have heard many good things about the book! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Joanie said...

Melissa! Have the PS charts reached you yet? Just curious!

Margaret said...

Oooh, I hope you're feeling better soon!! You should worry about yourself and not worry about us! I love your Elizabeth Easton -- you always pick the most beautiful projects! I love that quilt too. Isn't it amazing how many people who stitch quilt also, or vice versa? I've been wanting to read "Room." Now that you've recommended it, I'll have to go for it! The other book sounds interesting too -- I'll have to look it up. Feel better!!

Andrea said...

Love your start on the GH design....can't wait to see it when you're done! That fabric is perfect!
Yes, I have the same problems (back, shoulder, neck pain)...it really affects my stitching sometimes...which sends me into a huge funk!
Hope you're feeling better soon!
xox

Ann in Scotland. said...

I get all sorts of aches and pains from knitting and stitching. I try not to stitch or knit for too long or work with too large a frame. It's a real nuisance when it happens, I hope you get some relief soon.

Nicole said...

Great start on Elizabeth Easton. I keep forgetting I have this one in my stash! I love it!! Love the fabric you are using too!!

Room is on my reading wish list - it looks like such a good book!

Hope you feel better soon! I can relate - my back has been hurting a lot lately!

valerie said...

I hope you feel better Melissa! I get shoulder and back discomfort mainly from bad posture but stitching doesn't help (more bad posture and the weight of any heavy qsnaps).

Great start on your GH! I've heard of Room...I'm very intrigued now!

Deb said...

I hope that your back feels better soon. I don't think there is anything worse. Love your new start and I'm going to have to look at those books you talked about. I love a good book!!

Catherine said...

I do hope you are feeling better soon!

Love the new start!

Annemarie said...

Hope you feel much better soon, Melissa! That new sampler you're doing by the Goode Huswife must be quite an incentive to keep exercising!

Lois said...

Wonderful new start! It's going to look gorgeous on the Legacy. Well you do know that just makes me want to go and pull this out of my stash and think about stitching it!!! Look after yourself, neck and back pain are no fun.

Carol said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your neck and back are giving you problems. My husband suffered for back problems for years, but once he began exercising regularly, he rarely has problems... Good luck!

Your new sampler is just lovely--it will be a wonderful addition to your sampler wall...Hope you're feeling well enough to stitch very soon :)

Le blog de marylin said...

very nice !
marylin France

staci said...

Lovely new start! Happy stitching and reading!

Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well, take care!

Ranae said...

I love the new start.
I hope you getting feeling better soon.

Jane said...

I hope your neck and back feel better soon, Melissa. Both are not good if you want to stitch.

Wonderful new start and I love the fabric you're working on for it.

Gorgeous quilt too - those colours, I agree, are lovely.

And those pretty roses, they're so nice to see.

I've actually made a start on my little kit but will try to post later in the week about it. Take care of yourself...

Barbara said...

So sorry you aren't feeling well!! I hope that'll be over soon and you'll be feeling fine again.

I love your new start! And that quilt is really lovely! :)

You take care of yourself, okay?!

Siobhan said...

Seeing your Elizabeth Easton makes me want to throw all my project bags over the back of the sofa and grab out my Mary Tillinghast. Elizabeth is a Rhode Island sampler, right? In any case, it reminds me of Mary... and of how much I love those styles of samplers. I think it's the figures that I like. Great start! Love the linen choice, too.

Thanks for the book reviews. I think "Room" is definitely going to be under the Christmas tree!

I hope you're feeling better soon!!

Karoline said...

Lovely new start Melissa.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Deborah~~Your Bookish Dame said...

Hi, Melissa! I was missing you and seeing your blog pics and notes. Your new start is so pretty! And I like your take on "Room," which I think was one of the best books I read this year. I just wrote a note to Emma Donoghoue telling her so.
It was so nice to catch up with you, but I'm sorry to hear about your back! Backs are such hateful things sometimes...I have painful sciatica alot. :[ Hope you feel better very soon.
Hugs,
Deb/Bookish Dame

http://abookishlibraria.blogspot.
com
http://lavenroseramblings.blogspot.
com

WoolenSails said...

I do wish I could stitch as beautifully as you do, but I will need magnifying glasses, lol. I got some 36 count linen to try and couldn't get past a few holes. I will save that for some small prim pieces.

Debbie

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the book suggestions as I am getting used to my Kindle I will have to add those, sounds good!

Yes, I have arthritis and know how sometimes we have to take breaks from stitching as it's hard on the shoulder and upper back. Hope you rest and feel better soon.

Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest

Michelle said...

Love your Elizabeth - she's fabulous!!