Followers

Monday, 2 August 2010

Reading Binge

Hello, my friends! It is a local holiday here which means a wonderful 3 day weekend. And how did I spend it?  Well, unintentionally, I tapped into a great trilogy and have had my nose stuck in these 3 books.


If you haven't heard of them, it's the Millennium Trilogy from Stieg Larsson of Sweden.  It's the latest best selling phenomenon out there.  This news article out this past weekend talks about the books.  


I bought the first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, about a week ago, thinking I would give it a try.  It was a bit tough going at the beginning because the author was jumping around trying to set the stage for the story, but it soon settled in and woo-hooo, the roller coaster ride began. By Thursday I asked my DH to pick up the second book for me, knowing that I would jump right into it on Friday. By Saturday morning I was half way through and said to my DH that we have to go to Costco and buy the third book, which is only out in hard cover. Boy am I ever glad I did that. I finished the third book late yesterday evening. Yes, I'm a fast reader but I also did nothing but read! 


What a luxury that was! 


The books are dark, violent but oh so good! The characters are well developed and it was just really interesting to read it from book 1 through 3 all in one go.  At the heart of it is the theme of violence against women and political corruption. The three books individually could be viewed quite differently. The first is more a mystery, the second an action thriller, the third a crime/political thriller but they all tie in beautifully.  It was also interesting to read something from Sweden, a country I've never been to. These books will wipe away any squeaky clean "IKEA" images of Sweden. 


It is too bad that the author died, at 50, shortly after he delivered the manuscripts for all 3 books. There's a lot of buzz around the author too, making the books all the more interesting. There are loads of stuff on the Net about these books (and movies) so there are better words than I can conjure up. 


I have hardly done any stitching since my last post, but that's how it goes. Sometimes as hard as I try to look for books to interest me, I cannot find any. Now, I have a huge stack from the library to devour! "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and all that...


This morning, I visited some blogs. I always love to visit Barbara's as it's always full of great fun with her family.  On today's post on Barbara's blog, Annemarie left a comment, which I'd like to "borrow" coz I loved it so much. Annemarie said:

"I found a sampler ‘verse’ on a website a couple of days ago and it had me in stitches: ‘Patty Polk did this and she hated every stitch she did in it. She loves to read much more.’ Speaking of subversive cross stitch! I am determined that one day, I will build a little sampler around these words"

Annemarie, I hope you don't mind me sharing that. I love that verse because sometimes I just want to read much more than I want to stitch! And I hope you do stitch it up one day! 

Now, with all my working I haven't been able to stitch much but the flip side is, I can buy some stash. Here are some recent releases:
 
If I can't stitch so much, at least I can stash-and-dream! 

Again, I close with flowers and with thanks for visiting and commenting. As a reader, you know how much I enjoy your words! By the way, how did we get to August so quickly?!!! 

27 comments:

Lee said...

I hope I'm not repeating myself here...I don't remember if I told you this already or not. I downloaded the audio version of The Girl Who Played With Fire and I found that I was working really hard to understand it, but still not succeeding. Then I found out that it was part of a series and - - D'OH! No wonder I was struggling! So then I bought the first book (printed version) and I'm going to start all over again.

Your glowing review will motivate me, I'm sure!

Jan said...

Melissa, you always give such great book reviews! Thank you for these latest! I have often looked these over, but have yet to purchase or read. Now I will!

Lovely new stash, here is hoping you can rise above that book and get some good stitchey time too! lol

Laurie in Iowa said...

I downloaded the trilogy from Audible and it was a fantastic series. I'm sad that there won't be anymore stories.

Margaret said...

Interesting. DH read the first book in that series and kept complaining about how the author kept talking about what computer or what program the character was using -- like an add or something. He didn't seem very satisfied with the book even after it got exciting. So I got discouraged from reading it. Maybe I should give the series a go. We'll see! lol!

I love your stash! I have to get myself that Live in Harmony design from Homespun Elegance. I have some of the others you got. lol!

btw, thank you for putting flowers in your posts so much. I'm not a gardener at all, so I love pretty pics of your flowers!

valerie said...

Great review Melissa! I have the Dragon Tattoo book and haven't started it. I am supposed to read it for a Sept. book club. I better get started seeing as how slow I am! lol

Great stash!

Nancy said...

Enjoy your wonderful new stash and your books! Your orchid is absolutely beautiful!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

The trilogy has been all over PBS and other networks as well. I haven't read them yet - worried the violence will bother me - I'm such a wuss! But, I do love it when a series grabs you like that and you want to do nothing but read. The sampler quote from Annemarie is awesome - definitely one you should stitch a sampler around.

You got some great stash ~ that's always fun!

Catherine said...

I have heard a bunch about these books lately. Guess I'll have to check them out.

Great new stash and those flowers are bea-u-ti-ful!

Deb said...

I like your choice of books. I've read the first and really liked it, and I have the second! I don't think there is anything better than a good book except that great stash you picked up!!

staci said...

I heard about these books from a friend and have them on my to-read list. The only problem is when I read then I don't get any needlework done ;)

Enjoy your new stash!

Lois said...

I've heard a lot of good things about this series but have yet to dip into them.

Some lovely new stash has winged it's way to you. Enjoy!

Jane said...

Hi Melissa! It's nice to partake in another passion of yours - reading. I'm glad you're finding some interesting books to sink your teeth into.

I'm so happy to see some of those BBD charts in your new stash. These are so great! Enjoy stitching them when you finially get around to it.

Thanks too, for the email. Still no stitching with me, as work is keeping me tired as usual. I will reply soon. Hugs!

文王廷 said...

Learning makes life sweet.

Brigitte said...

Larsson's books are well known here as well and you never get them in the library because whenever they are returned by a reader the next reader takes them home immediately.
Like you in the summer I always prefer reading to stitching. And in the winter it's just the other way round. So every hobby has its season, lol.
But your new stash looks very inspiring and motivating ...

Berit said...

I re-read a trilogy a month or two ago myself--always fun to do sometimes! I've heard a little buzz about these; wonder if I'll try them out sometime. LOVE this new stash! :)

Karoline said...

I've heard a lot about this trilogy and would like to read them. But I'm going to wait until 'life' allows me the luxury of getting lost in a book again.

Great stash & your orchid is lovely.

Mel said...

Just borrowed the first in that series from my Mom. I've been hearing so much about it I can't wait to start. :)

mainely stitching said...

I "have" to buy these books as they're coming up in the bookclub I joined. ;)

I loved that verse that Annemarie shared. What a great sampler it would/will make!

Ineke said...

I have read these books last year and just couldn't stop reading!
You bought lovely stash to dream.

謝俊林奕宏宏 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MyLifesAStitch said...

Oh, great post!!

I will definitely be grabbing those CDs at the library - I've been hearing a lot about them. Thanks for the recommendation! And, I know what you mean about the lure of books... there were weeks (pre-baby) that I would do nothing but read with my free time. Ah, the magic of books!

Great stash enhancement! I just got the chart for Olga (she's awesome, isn't she??), and am going to do my best to hit my LNS today to gather the thread and fabric.

Gorgeous orchid! I love them, they are so beautiful!

Have a great weekend!

偉曹琬 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
珍盈洪 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suzanne said...

These sound like interesting series of books. I had heard of them, but I wasn't sure ablout them.

Great stash purchase you made there.

偉曹琬 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lennu said...

Hi Melissa and happy Sunday morning! Oh I loved reading your last posts, I've been so late in blog reading and commenting after the hectic summer, but now it's a perfect Sunday morning for catching up. Your flower photos are gorgeous!

Daisy is so sweet, what a wonderful photo with her back feet out :) I took the cats outside yesterday and Pipari seemed so comfortable just lying there on the back terrace that I had to do the same and look everything from a cat perspective :)

Your stitching is lovely in the previous post! Thanks for all the inspiration, I love the stitching photos and also the new stash photos. I've had such a crazy summer and with the two RR's to stitch, I haven't had much time to stitch what I really want. Now I'm just bursting with ideas to stitch, as I have more time.

Have a very happy Sunday!

Siobhan said...

Great new stash, Melissa!

Thanks for the book review. You've convinced me that I need to give the Millenium trilogy another try. I got the first book through Audible and just couldn't get interested in it. I have heard others say that it needs a bit of time to get you hooked, so I'll try again! My daughter has the first book in paperback, so I'll snag hers. ;)