Followers

Sunday, 25 July 2010

Summertime Summertime Sum-Sum-Summertime!

Cue the Summertime music, the heat is here! 

If you're a cat like Daisy then lounging by an open window is the thing! She likes to stick her back feet out the window to catch the cool air!


Today I was in the garden and got a lovely bunch of white hydrangea. These are so pretty and lacey they remind me of a bride's dress. Then I had these pretty scabiosas in bloom. Aren't they perfect together? Although this bundle is large, I can just see a smaller version for a bridal bouquet!

I planted these lilies as bulbs in the spring. They are so unusual! I hope they come back next year.  Sorry can't recall their names at the moment!

I have made some progress on Mary's Best Handworke! Eh voila... three little sheepies!



And a shepherd  and sheep dog, watched over by ... a cupid? It's supposed to be an angel, right? Give it a bow and a heart and a cupid is in the making! 


The bigger picture...
 

OK. Not the nicest photos are they? This piece does look brighter and sharper in real life and I really like the reds in this piece.  Now I have a good chance of finishing this before summer is over! It's been a struggle I tell ya. I haven't been stitching a lot but besides working, I have got myself back into some reading. 

A new book that I  really like is Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonson.  If you like an English village type of story you will like this. But it's not 'light and fluffy'. There is some wonderful writing, and the Major is such a wonderful creation.

A detective series I have come to love is Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear. I have read it in paper form and also listened to audio versions that have been wonderful.  The setting is post WWI England, in the 1930's.  The books have such a lovely quiet, calm atmosphere and Maisie is such an intelligent character. 

I want to thank you for all who visited my blog last time and left comments.  I am grateful for your kind words and encouragement. Otherwise I think it would be very easy for me to stop stitching and blogging for awhile.  A thousand thanks!

And I want to thank those who are visiting this post now. Even if you don't leave a comment, please send some good vibes my way, OK? I can use any positive thoughts these days! 

I leave you with some alstromerias from my garden. I hope you are enjoying your summer or keeping cozy in winter! 

    



27 comments:

Glenna said...

Mary's Best IS the best! It's wonderful--as are the hydrangeas (makes mine feel plain since they're just blue). I'm glad to hear about Major Pettigrew--I saw it at the book store the other day and dithered about it and wound up buying something else instead (Walking to Gatlinburg.) I'll let you know how it is--now I'm going to have to get the other as well.

Katrina said...

What pretty flowers and I love your Mary piece, too sweet. Hope things settle down soon!

Margaret said...

I love how Daisy sticks her back feet out the window! lol! What lovely flowers you always have too! Your Mary is soooooo pretty!! I know you can finish her this summer! I've been thinking of you -- always sending good thoughts your way! Hang in there!

Anna van Schurman said...

I had to come to your blog from my reader just to find out where it is that you have a cool breeze from the open window. So unlike the rest of the northern hemisphere! Sweating bullets here.

Gillie said...

Loved Major Pettigrew! Very true to life in the UK I knew twenty years ago. Inspirations is exactly that - inspiring!

Glad to see you back!

Andrea said...

Oh, what I wouldn't give for a cool breeze right now!! There's no such thing in Texas this time of year! Lucky kitty :-)

Your Mary's Best is beautiful! At least you didn't leave the tail off the dog like I did, lol!

Beautiful flowers! I'm pea green with your mad gardening skillz ;-)

Hugs!

Irene said...

Love your alstromerias, I can just see the picture framed and hanging on a wall, it so nice.

Lesleyanne said...

Lovely flowers and progress. Hope thinks settle down soon.

Rowyn said...

How cute is Daisy with her feet out the window. lol

Your sampler is gorgeous, as are your flowers. Those Alstroemeria's make a gorgeous bunch. I used to have pink ones and they would flower for months and months.

Jane said...

How lovely to read a new post from you, Melissa. I just love all those flower photos you've shown. They really brighten the day, for as you know it's Winter time where I am. Those hydrangeas look amazing!

I know how hard it's been to find the time to enjoy your needlework but you're doing a great job. It's coming along nicely and I agree, it must be a cherub in the making.

I also thought little Daisy hanging her feet out the window to catch a bit of breeze is such a gorgeous picture. Our pets are so cute at times.

Take care, my friend.

Nancy said...

Mary's Best Handworke looks gorgeous! Such a pretty design.

I love your kitty! Wouldn't it be nice if we could lay with our feet out the window? Your flowers are very beautiful. You must have a gifted green thumb!

doris said...

Oh, your flowers are truly stunning! I wanna come over to sit in your garden.

Miss Mary is lovely. She looks like a fun stitch.

I definitely understand the "to blog or not to blog" dilemma. It was helpful for me to take some time off, but I feel like I've missed so much that I'll never catch up! Hang in there.

Mos Los Vagabondos said...

Sending you some good vibes from Idaho! Love your pretty flowers and of course Mary. Take care.

KarenV said...

Mary's Best is looking wonderful Melissa, I love all the sweet little elements in it, very pretty.

I have Major Pettigrew on my TBR list and yours is the second positive blog review I've read, so I must put this one nearer the top of the list, I think.

Sending good thoughts your way, hope things will brighten up very soon - take care.

Berit said...

Daisy's adorable, and everything else is beautiful, too! :D

Sending good vibes your way~.

Jan said...

Melissa, haven't been here for much longer then I would like to say...but will try harder to visit. I have always loved visiting and reading your blog, so don't go away, you would be missed far too much!!

I love Mary's Best....so pretty!Love the kitty photo too, such expressive beautiful eyes she has!

Brigitte said...

Melissa, I'm sending you good thoughts and a comment.
Mary's sampler looks gorgeous. But I can understand that you aren't stitching very much during the summer because it's the same with me. The summer has always been book time for me, all my stitching is staying on the backburner. And blogging, too, lol.

Brigitte said...

Oh, and I forgot to admire your wonderful flowers. Hydrangeas are my favourite flowers and yours look fantastic!

Kajsa said...

Your flowers and quilt are so pretty! Hope that the good vibes are working!

MyLifesAStitch said...

So glad to see this post from you. :) Your flowers are beautiful (adore hydrangeas!!), and what a hoot Daisy is with her feet dangling, lol!

Great progress on Mary's Best - I love that pattern.

Good vibes coming your way!!!

Karoline said...

Gorgeous flowers and a cute photo of Daisy :)

Mary is looking lovely, great progress

夏瓊陳詩蓁富 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mainely stitching said...

Oh I just love your progress on this sampler!!! And those flowers - amazing! I've never seen anything like them.

Your kitty has the right idea, btw!

允黃淑 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lois said...

I love your Mary's Best. It's such a nice piece!

Love your flowers and Daisy looks so comfortable on the windowsill.

Feel free to send some of your heat our way. July turned into something that didn't really resemble much of summer here - very little sun around!!!

Look after yourself. Hope you feel like things are back on track soon.

Carol said...

Hi Melissa! I just got back from my vacation at the beach and am trying to catch up on all of my favorite blogs :)

Your garden flowers are just gorgeous as is "Mary!" I do love the sheep and wouldn't it be nice to think that there is an angel watching over each of us...

Sending you all happy thoughts...

Suzanne said...

What pretty flowers. Love the progress on Mary.