Followers

Saturday, 27 March 2010

Better a Tortoise than a Hare

Lesson Learned? 

Tortoises take their time and still get there in the end. Hares run like mad but might get stumble over something and get a broken ankle or something. In my case, I was really wanting to finish A Very Fine Sampler before I went back to work.  So, I stitched most of Monday AND Tuesday, despite the fact that I know I shouldn't stitch for long periods . What I ended up with was getting a kink in my neck that went down by my back so I've been very uncomfortable for the last few days with next to no stitching or computer time.

Picture Bride-of-Frankenstein... lesson learned for me, I hope! 

A Very Fine Sampler - progress






Ta-da! The sweaty hard parts are done. I just have to fill in the butterflies, then 4 rows of alphabets, etc. I'm on the home stretch now! 

Award Season - people I want to thank!



As Theresa said, it's Award Season. I want to thank Jennifer and Theresa for passing on the Sunshine Award! 

And I want to thank Cari and Patti for passing on the Beautiful Blogger Award. 



I am going to be a party pooper and not pass these on by selecting blogs. (I already selected 7 blogs in my this post.) I enjoy reading so many blogs that I always feel bad with leaving so many others out!

A Lovely Surprise in the mail 

This week, a lovely surprise package arrived from Anna, as an Easter greeting and an early birthday present! Thank you, Anna! You're so sweet! It cheered me up immensely through a rather uncomfortable week!

I'm looking for a Frog, not a Prince!


...coz I already have my Prince, right? wink wink to my DH.  


I know many stitching friends in the US have started this scissor-frog 'craze'.  I've never seen them here. Yesterday I happened to work by a small charity shop so decided to stop in and check.  I asked if they have any glass flower frogs and the reply was they had just sold one. Drat! Then one of the ladies took me over to the shelves to see if there were any more.   We found this. 




Isn't that odd? I've never seen that before. She said you can put it over a vase (that fits) and arrange your flowers. How clever. However, how can I use it for holding scissors? But at $1 how could I pass it up?   When I got home I found that it fit right over an orphan glass container (the lid was cracked).  Voila, my first scissor frog! 

 
I went to three other charity shops today and I couldn't see any flower frogs so I was lucky to have found this one.

Out of the Rabbit Hole 

...and back to work I go! At least there is the long Easter weekend coming up to lessen the shock of returning to work!  Hope you are enjoying the weekend! Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful week ahead!  (PS my neck and back are feeling better today.)

30 comments:

Karen said...

Love your sampler...very pretty!

~ Stitchin Sweet Sue ~ said...

Sampler is looking real good! Congrats on your frog find:)

Vonna said...

Your sampler is lovely! Congrats on your frog find :)
Happily that is one thing that I've not been bitten into lusting after :) (but believe me that's about the ONLY one! LOL!)

valerie said...

AVFS is looking great!! Sorry to hear you've got a kink...glad to hear you're feeling better.

Great find at the charity shop...would you believe I ordered one and the bowl arrived shattered. I wish I had an orphan bowl to use. But at least I have the frog part!

Enjoy the weekend!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Your sampler is looking so lovely... but I sorry to hear you've suffered a stitching related injury.
Love your new frog for your scissors collection.

Margaret said...

I just love how this sampler is coming out!! OMG! It's absolutely stunning! What a bummer that you got such a bad kink in your neck though -- I did that once, so I know exactly how you felt! I'm glad you're feeling better! Congrats on the awards! And the present -- how nice! And the flower frog!!! I want one so badly!!! Lucky you!

Good luck at the new job! I hope it goes well and you enjoy it!

Ranae said...

The sampler is looking beautiful. Love the up-close pics.
Congrats! on the awards, you surely deserve them.
Very nice mail you got and love that scissors frog and of course the scissors in it, lol. If the scissors hit the bottom, put a pretty color piece of felt in the bottom and it will save the tips
Take Care!!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Oh, you poor dear. I hope you feel better soon! The sampler looks great but sometimes that rush to get done just isn't worth it. Your scissor frog looks great. Those little tops fit a lot of different sized bowls so keep on the lookout. $1 is a great price!

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful progress on your sampler. I am busy making a runner for my bench and a quilt for a window, so working on finishing those, so I can use them. I saw those frogs too, now i will have to see if I can find any around here, lol. I have to hide all my things in boxes though, Dora likes to eat my tools.

Debbie

Irene said...

The sampler is looking great. Lucky you to have found the frog. I've looked a few times with no luck. I would swear my Mom had one, only I can't seem to find it and she doesn't remember :)

Cari-in-VA said...

Hi Melissa! Congratulations on the new job. I hope everything is going wonderfully.

Bummer about the kink in your neck - hope it has completely healed by now. Your pieces is coming along wonderfully!

Oh, I have searched and searched for a flower frog, to no avail. I am happy that you found one and made it work - it looks great! I am hopeing that Deb will draw my name and I will receive the beautiful pink one.

Enjoy your weekend.

Brigitte said...

Good to read that you are slowly feeling better. With some luck you will be completely recovered when you go back to work after Easter.
Your BOAF looks so so beautiful. And you can certainly finish it up over the Easter holidays.
I've always loved to see those scissor frogs on various blogs. But it's something I have never seen around here. Maybe I should start visiting the flee markets that will be organized during the summer and fall.

Evik said...

Melissa, I love this sampler! I added him to my wishlist ;)
I look forward to your every progress! Great!
Your scissor frog looks great. You are a lucky woman! :)

Hazel said...

Lovely sampler! x

poussy stiches my love said...

superbe sampler magnifique
big kisse
mary

http://poussy-stiches-my-love.over-blog.com

le blog de marylin

Siobhan said...

You're making such beautiful progress, Melissa! You don't have much to do before you're happy dancing. I hope your aches & pains are gone soon, so that you can get back to work w/o too much pain.

Jane said...

Oh Melissa, I'm sorry you've had to suffer trying to get more of your BOAF done. Maybe your dh could massage your neck while your stitching to avoid this happening in the future,lol. Or there's those neck massage gadgets, that might work. Somehow though, I don't think you'd be able to concentrate on your needlework with either of these situations. Glad you're not as tender now.

I've never heard of a flower frog. Well done on getting a great bargain, plus having it fit exactly to a glass bottom you already had! Looks terrific with your scissor collection. I may be able to help you with an extra item for that soon!

The chart you got from Anna looks nice. You would have felt special receiving that package.

Wishing you all the best for your day at work tomorrow. Hope it's not too taxing on you. I'll send an email during the week to you.

Deb said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your neck Melissa! I hope that it feels better soon!!! I love, love your sampler. It looks wonderful.

And YGG on finding the flower frog!!! That is an excellent price of $1 for that. Usually around here they're $4 and up. I collect them when I see them - they're a lot easier to find than the sets with the bottoms with them, and then I just find bowls at the SA or GW to fit them.

Hope your week back at work isn't too stressing!!

Robin said...

So sorry to hear that you are "suffering for your art." I hope your neck and back get to feeling better very soon so you can get a little more stitching in before you go back to work.

You are making lovely progress on you BOAF sampler. I love the soft colors. I checked my stash and discovered that I don't have this design so I guess you know I've added it to my shopping list.

Congrats on the scissor frog. What a deal! It looks great on the substitute bottom.

BeckySC said...

Hello friend!!
I LOVE you lasted progress!! WOW!! what a beautiful piece this will be :)
And you made some excellent stash choices :)
Have a most lovely new week :)
(((hugs)))

Andrea said...

So sorry about your shoulder/back problems Melissa! I can totally relate as the very same thing happens to me sometimes. I hope you're feeling better by now, or at least very soon! Have you ever tried Bio-Freeze? It's kind of like Icy Hot, but to me, works better. LMK, I have some sample packs I can send you if you want.

Your Very Fine Sampler is looking very fine! I love everything about it!

Love your "new" flower frog too, great score! I have yet to find one, maybe someday!

Congrats on your awards :-)
Hope the new job is going well for you....

xoxo

Catherine said...

Your stitching looks beautiful!! Love the frog! I have a flatter one, and never thought to set it up on a dish - thanks!

I do hope you are feeling better!

Congrats on the awards and the lovely gifts!

Carol said...

Congratulations on your blog awards, Melissa--you deserve them as your latest WIP shows. It is lovely :)

Hope you are feeling better each day!

MyLifesAStitch said...

AVFS is wonderful!! I am amazed by your progress, and so sorry that you injured yourself doing it, though. Poor thing! Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better, though!

Good luck on the 1st day back to work!!!!

Lois said...

Loving your progress on AVFS though sorry to hear that you've been suffering aches and pains because of it. Hope the job is going well. Love the scissor frog - you're right, for that price how could you pass on it - it was a bargain!!

Kellie said...

The sampler is beautiful, but sorry that it caused you so much neck pain. That is no fun. Glad to hear that you are feeling better though. Love the flower frog. I had never seen one or even knew about them until I started seeing them pop up on blogs. They are adorable filled with scissors. :)

Karoline said...

Great progress on AVFS, it looks gorgeous. Shame it was at the price of the pain.

Hope your job is going well

Kajsa said...

What a pretty sampler! Sorry to hear about your neck, ouch!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Your sampler is looking great! What a wonderful surprise in the mail and lucky you finding a flower frog!

Congrats on your awards!

Michele said...

Drooling over that sampler and the yummy colors!