Followers

Friday, 5 February 2010

A Stitchy Update

Hello there! I have been busy with other things and haven't stitched as much as I would have liked. Also, it seems to be an uphill journey on Birds of a Feather, but here's some progress.

Last time it looked like this:
Now, it looks like this:

Yesterday I put this aside for awhile as I have some exchanges to do. However, I do have some stitchy things to show you. I took 6 pieces to the framers. I will spread out showing them to you over the next 2 weeks as I don't think I will have any other stitching to show you in the meantime!

Quaker House
by Blackbird Designs

The Simple Things
by Blackbird Designs

Both these two pieces use new frames that my framer got in. They are two different shades of green but both were used effectively with each design. I normally gravitate to the brown older-looking frames with designs on them. This time, my framer suggested that I branch out and try this new colour series. They turned out quite nicely!


I placed The Simple Things with another Blackbird Design piece called August Melon. Whether they will stay together in the future is a mystery. When I get new framed pieces I like to see whether I can get a new grouping made with older framed pieces. I can tell you now I have a new sampler wall, but you will have to wait till next week before you see it!

Thank you to everyone who left a comment on the post about Kindle vs i-Pad. It was most interesting to read. The people who own Kindles seem to love them. I agree that waiting at least 6 months, maybe a year, to buy an i-Pad is a good idea. New technologies always require kinks to be worked out. One particular comment stayed with me though, and that was from Berit:

"Get a Kindle (this from a Mac user) I have the first version of Kindle, and if you are planning to read (primary goal), then the kindle wins hands down thanks the fact that it works using reflective light (eink) rather than transmissive light (LED or LCD), which is immeasurably better for the eyes.

This ipad (a friend of mine who works at the apple store and I have dubbed it the iMaxi!) is too little device for the money, and anyone who possibly has the patience should wait for them to work out the *MANY* kinks and see if they still want it in 8 months to a year when version 2 hits. Plus, as it doesn't start shipping for 60 days yet, you'll be in luck if you get one before 6 months are out. Rabid appleites are, well, rabid.
"

The idea of one gadget that will do everything, while appealing, is not likely. It may meet 80% of the requirements but the 20% are things you may not want to live me. It makes sense if you want something primarily to read, you want it to be easy on the eyes. Thanks Berit for pointing that out!

I'm feeling a bit blue - I woke up in the middle of the night with a scratchy throat and stuffed up nose...but worse than that, the postman has NOT come yet today! This is my last chance this week to get long awaited for stashy stuff and if he/she does not come, another wait till Monday! Agony. Boo-hoo! You know the feeling! ;-)

Well, there are a few more hours to the postal day, so I will keep my fingers crossed!

Thank you, as always, for stopping by! Enjoy the weekend, whether you are into the Superbowl or not as there are a few stitchy sales around! Till next week, stay healthy and happy my friends!

27 comments:

Snip said...

Your newly framed pieces look wonderful!

Catherine said...

Your pieces are lovely! The frames are great - good suggestion to branch out!

I am really liking the Birds of a Feather piece. The colors look fun!

I hope to be hitting a sale at my LNS on Sunday - provided we are out from under the massive amounts of snow that we are now starting to get!

Have a great weekend - hopefully your mail arrived and contained all those goodies you were looking for!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

I love your frame choices, Melissa! Both pieces look fantastic - the green frames really do look fantastic! I hope your mail came today - that's such a drag waiting for something to arrive and not having it show. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Your WIP is looking great - I love the colors in it and you're making progress. It'll be done before you know it.

Enjoy the weekend - I'm going to a superbowl party but I could really care less.... I'd rather be stitching or blogging or sleeping!

Theresa said...

I love your framed pieces!!!! They look awesome!!!!

Your WIP looks very nice!!!!! I'm loving it and am thinking of adding it to my long wish list!!!!

Drink plenty of hot tea and stay warm!!! I hope your postman will bring you your package today~ Have a great weekend~

Amy said...

Your framed pieces are great. They look wonderful. I am always glad to come to your blog and see your wip's and your finishes.

Make a hot pot of tea and relax. I hope that you feel better soon. I think the scratchy throat thing is going around.

Have a blessed day.

BeckySC said...

OOH, I especially love the piece with the watermelon :) All your pieces are just great, Melissa :)
((hugs))

valerie said...

Great progress on your BBD! I've liked this design for a while. Wonderful framed pieces! Sometimes it's nice to branch out. Most of my frames are black...must change that!

Good input on the Kindle. I hear lots of great things! The BF and I went into Apple to see the iPad and they didn't have it yet...

Deb said...

I love all your framed pieces. Those green frames really look great with all of them.

Glad to hear your remarks about the IPad. I've had my eye on it since it first came out, but I tend to be one of those people who like to wait a little before jumping into something.

Hope that you're not coming down with something and that your package arrived today. There is nothing worse than waiting for stashy goodness!!

Irene said...

Your WIP looks great, I realy like the bird on the right. Awesome framed pieces.

~ Stitchin Sweet Sue ~ said...

Beautiful finishes. Yes, love the green frames:) Hope you feel well soon.

Nancy said...

Your framed pieces look beautiful! Even though the frames are not your usual style they compliment the designs beautifully!

I think you've made good progress on your Birds Of A Feather. I'm enjoying watching you do this because it is one that I want to do this year.

I hope the mailman delivered your stash goodies!

Margie said...

That August Melon piece sure is pretty! I thought I had seen all the BBD pieces but this one is new to me.

Margaret said...

Oh wow! I love how Birds of a Feather is coming out! And your framed pieces -- gorgeous! It's always fun to try out something that's not necessarily your taste but the suggestion of your framer. I've done that quite a few times with very pleasing results. Anyway, I love them all!

And the advise on the ipad -- good point. It's always good to wait a while and see what the verdict is before diving in. And yes, Kindle is great on the eyes. I do love my Kindle!

I hope the mailman showed up with some stitchy mail for you today!

Carol said...

Hope your scratchy throat and stuffed up nose disappear as quickly as they came, Melissa...

I love your newly framed pieces--you are lucky to have a trusted framer to help you make decisions!

Karen said...

Love the newly framed pieces...love the green frame. Your WIP is looking good too.

Cari said...

Oh Melissa, I do hope that you are feeling better this evening.

Your BOAF is coming along wonderfully - I love the colors in this one.

And your framed pieces are lovely, I really like the green frame on The Simple Things and your Quaker House is great. I framed this piece last year, but was not pleased with the results.

I can't wait to see your other framed pieces and your new sampler wall.

KarenV said...

Your framed pieces are gorgeous Melissa, I love the style of the frames!

Great progress on BOAF, it's really coming along well and the colours are so appealing! Feel better soon and have a wonderful weekend!

Lois said...

Oh, what lovely framed pieces - just gorgeous, all of them! Your BOAF is coming along well, I love the colours. Hope that scratchy throat doesn't develop into anything worse - look after yourself - I prescribe a weekend of taking things easy and stitching!

Teri said...

I like the green frames and how well they complement your beautiful finishes. I especially like the frame on the "watermelon" piece as the wormwood look is perfect for that design!

Jane said...

I hope that scratchy throat doesn't turn into a nasty cold.

Your BOAF's coming along nicely. I love how it's turning out. Those framed finished are terrific too, Melissa. More lovely things to place on your wall!

Berit said...

So cool That I managed to say something which helped/was worth repeating.

A few more facts have come to my attention since I posted this: Standard version is due end-of-month March and the 3G is not until e-o-m April. Also, it is a unitasking device, which means that Apple will be controlling which apps can run at the same time so that they can control performance and etc.

Also, the Kindle's internet access, though not as "shiny" (Colours, and etc), is totally FREE, both to DL books and also for checking websites. Compatiblity is probably more of an issue for the Kindle browser--but you buy the K once and you don't keep paying every month just to keep it working.

I have a bit of a beef with paying to make the internet run on everything but my toaster--I already bought it at home, I'm not gonna pay another bill to make it run on other things. But, that's just my own thing. For some, it's worth it.

...

Well, how pretty is your needlework?? Love the frames; I think it's good that you tried out the framer's advice! Looking forward to how your exchanges turn out--and of course that Sampler Wall!!

Dianne said...

Great frame choices! I love getting things back from the framer...it's like Christmas!

Lennu said...

Hi Melissa! Your BOAF is looking great, lovely colours and you've made great progress! The framed pieces are beautiful as well. I have at least one finish that needs to be framed, I must remember it next time I go to town!

Oh I hope you're feeling better already! I have had a bit fever too, but getting better now. Have a wonderful new week and I hope you'll have lots of time to stitch!

AlessandraLace said...

lovely blog and works. hugs from Italy

Suzanne said...

I love your newly framed pieces, they look great. Excellent progress on your Birds Of A Feather piece.

I hope you feel better soon. I have a whole lot of stitching stash to arrive by post and I can't wait till it arrives.

Kellie said...

Hi Melissa,
You are making great progress on your BOAF. Love it! And your framed pieces are absolutely gorgeous. I am looking forward to seeing your sampler wall. :) Hope you are feeling better.

Karoline said...

Great framing, they all look lovely