Followers

Tuesday, 23 February 2010

It's all about Balance

Why is it all about Balance, you ask? Hmmm, we'll figure that out at the end of the post. 

Yesterday morning I had a dental cleaning appointment. Now, anytime I have to go near the dental office, my heartrate usually goes up a few notches depending on what it is I'm having done. Being as it was a dental cleaning I told myself to calm down. The only thing was my previous hygenist, a very good one (as in gentle), moved out of the city last year and I was now going to have somebody brand new. Can you guess the rest of the story? 

I won't go into details but suffice to say I need to look for someone with a much gentler touch. I was pretty stressed out from that, and also the fact they said I will need a crown sometime soon which will cost around $1200! I left there shell-shocked from the pain suffered and the looming costs to come! 

When I got home, the stash fairy had left me something via the post. 


The stash fairy's name is Becky! She is so sweet. One day she emailed me and said "Hey you! I've just ordered 2 charts from your wishlist and they are on their way to you!"  I was in shock, pleasant shock but still in shock! I asked her why. She said "just because!"  Well, what can you do? I thanked her graciously and did a happy dance! Thank you, Becky! Not only for me, but as you all know she is very generous stitcher! 

The stash took away a bit of the sting from the dental visit! 

Here's an update on my SAL with Jane.  

We hadn't planned on it but she worked on the left side, and I started with the right. So while I have the little man done, she has stitched the woman along with the flowers on the left.  If you read her blog post, you can see that she mentioned that the designer of this piece, Brenda, posted about this SAL on her blog

Brenda, if you are reading this, I just want to thank you for mentioning our SAL. I can't leave a comment on your blog just because of the comment setting (comments below post). It's the bane of my blogging existence!

Jane and I are just zipping along merrily on this SAL. 

I haven't mentioned much about the Winter Olympics even though it's being held here.I'm not that up-to-date with sports to really talk about the events though there were lots of great moments.  However, there are two things I want to say:

1. Loved the ice skating/dancing finals last night. The young Canadian couple won gold and was a dream to watch. It was amazing! 

2. Check out this video on these amazing rock sculptures someone did on the beach here. It's a 5 minute video but it's amazing how this man manages to balance rocks one upon the other. The last bit will amaze you, I promise! 

I guess that was the bit about "balance". 

Thanks to KarenV last time for pointing out that ABC Stitch Therapy had the latest Nashville releases on their site. I did go and have a look  and found more goodies! It never ends...which is, honestly, a good thing! 

Thank you for visiting. I may report to those groaning over my spring weather report that it's overcast today with rain in the forecast. And the price to pay for the sudden spring weather is the start of hay fever! ach-oooo!

35 comments:

KimV said...

oh, ya... see you and me... I LOVE your stash goodies! both of those are on my list too! The list is never ending and ever growing! LOL... I hope you find a different dentist - it's really not worth the stress is it...
Love your blog! will enjoy watching your progress with Jane

Cari-in-VA said...

Love your little man and your tree is coming right along - your new stash is wonderful! I just discovered Becky's blog (don't know how I have missed it all this time) and I enjoy visiting her. What a sweetheart for sending you charts!

Enjoy your afternoon.

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

What a lovely gift from Becky! New stash is always a good thing! Your sampler is just beautiful, Melissa. I think I'm going to have to start this one myself in the very near future. Well done!

KarenV said...

You poor thing! I hate going to the dentist too and we found out last week that my very patient dentist is going travelling for a year at the end of May, so I'm going to have to see another one at the same practice :(

Love your progress on BK&BP, it's looking wonderful!

BTW, I'm always happy to enable in the stash department ;) I placed a small Nashville order today - couldn't resist a couple of the new releases!

Andrea said...

Such a sweet thing for Becky to do for you! Love those charts :-)

I feel your pain over the dentist thing. Seriously.

Your BK&BT is coming along nicely, it was so nice to see your SAL mentioned on Brenda's blog!

xoxo

KarenV said...

That should have been BK&BT - don't quite know what happened there LOL.

Margaret said...

I hear you on the dentist! I used to have no problems with the dentist, but no more. Ugh!! How nice that the stash fairy visited you! And your SAL piece -- love it! Oh there are way too many things calling my name to stitch! And market doesn't help!

wyanne said...

Those rock sculptures are amazing! Thanks for posting that video. I love it when goodies come in the mail. It's like Christmas!

Ranae said...

I love the dentist, faithfully every six months here. I hope your teeth get feeliong better. I too have had some rough cleanings, lol It feels so good to clamp your teeth, lol.
I love your little man. He reminds me of the wild flower called Dutchman's pants or britches.
Becky is so generous.
A little advice on Frederika, don't start with the border. I started the border first of the year and haven't picked it up since.

Kellie said...

Sorry to hear that your dental appointment was so traumatic.

Those are really nice charts from Becky. I love Paradise Lost. I put a few more stitches into my WIP of that last night. Frederika is really pretty too. :)

You are plugging along on BK&BT. It looks great!! You will have this finished in no time. :)

Jane said...

What fun stash to get when you weren't even expecting it! Becky's so wonderful for thinking of you.

Wonderful progress on our SAL too. It's looking great and I think we're on par with it which is good. I'm having so much fun stitching it and I love the colours.

Congrats to the Canadians for winning the figure skating finals! What a thrill it must have been to have watched it.

Deb said...

Oh I sympathize so much with you and the dental visits. I got the same news a couple weeks ago - another crown and some gum surgery - so my heart goes out to you. I'm so glad that you had a nice little surprise in your mailbox from Becky to help make you feel better.

I just love that piece that you're working on with Jane. Funny how you see things, but don't see things. I'm loving both of your progress on this and may have to add it to my list!

MyLifesAStitch said...

Yay for you on the stash gift!! Wonderful that it came just in time to counter-act the dentistry "pain". :) I hope you find a great/ gentle hygienist before you have to have the crown taken care of.

You're making great progress on your SAL! I love the colors!

Have a better week!

Catherine said...

The more I learn about Becky in this blogging world, the more I am convinced that she is an angel in disguise!!

Sorry to hear about the dental issues - dentists are not my thing either!

Your stitching looks great! You are going so fast!

I'm off to check out the rock sculptures!

mainely stitching said...

Still wincing from the painful dentistry part. Ouch. But the stash is gorgeous! Have fun! :D

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful surprise and I love those patterns. I was looking at the paradise lost myself. At the rate I am going, it will take me all year to make the ones, you gave me, lol. I am onto the roof finally and then the fill for the windows and door, so tomorrow I will post a photo of my progress.

Debbie

valerie said...

Lovely stash enhancement from Becky! How sweet! Sorry to hear about the dentist...I have sensitive gums and can usually be peeled off the ceiling after a cleaning but I found a nice gentle hygenist in my dental office and will only see her. Hope there is someone else you can try out. *hugs*

Lennu said...

Oh poor Melissa, I hope you'll find someone better to take care of your teeth! I have found the BEST dentist last autumn, she has the most gentle touch and I don't have to be afraid at all, whatever needs to be done to my teeth :)

What a lovely surprise you received from Becky, the charts are beautiful.

Your SAL is looking great, I love the little man, so cute: )

Lois said...

Coming home to that nice bit of stash in the mail was just what you needed after that visit to the hygienist! Love your progress on BK&BT. Of course, seeing yours and Jane's pieces is just making want to sit down and order this and add it to my never-ending stash!!!

Hazel said...

Fab gift from Becky! Loving your SAL. x

Siobhan said...

EEEK on the dentist!! :P

Great progress on your SAL piece! It looks great. I liked the shout out that you got on the WTN&T blog, too.

Glenna said...

No, no, no to the dentist, and yes, yes, yes to the stash! You and Jane are making great progress--I'm enjoying seeing both sides of it.

Kajsa said...

Pretty new charts that you got there! Your wip is looking great! I did see that canadian couple that took the gold. They were amazing, just blew away the competition.

Nicole said...

I'm so sorry about your dental visit Melissa. I have been going a lot lately myself. It's no fun!! Good luck on your search for a new hygienist!

What a nice surprise from Becky!! Two of my very favorite designs! :)

Beautiful progress on BK&BT! Can't wait to see more! :)

staci said...

I guess there is balance in the world :) An uncomfortable dentist visit (and looming bill) offset a bit with a generous and sweet RAK :)

Very lovely stitching progress too!

Berit said...

I LOVE having my teeth cleaned...so much that I don't want to "leave" my hygenist, though she's in Oklahoma and I'm in New Jersey now...which results in me not doing it as much as I should. ;D

Also, How sweet of Becky! It is just so wonderful to have a friend like her in blogland; she really is like a Good Stashfairy--I even got some pretties from her!

Snip said...

I also get sooo nervous when I go to the dentist! Thanks for sharing your SAL photos. Lovely! The Olympics have been pretty amazing, haven't they? I dropped by that framing shop you suggested and they are so nice. I hope to take in a few things, but I live quite far away from there. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Scarlett House said...

Ahhh Melisaa, I feel your pain. I'd rather be in labor than have my teeth cleaned. I had to fork over more than two grand a few months ago for two crowns. Never a fun way to spend money. Thank goodness for your friend Becky. That was a lovely thing for her to do for you.

basketsnprims said...

Melissa,
I just found your blog & it's lovely. Love the sampler you are working on, I will have to check Brenda's store to see if it is available. All of your work is wonderful. I will be following your blog for sure.
hugs,
Pam

T. Whitesell said...

Your piece is coming along great too, can't wait to see the two when you all are done. They are going be be beautiful!!

Karoline said...

What a lovely surprise from Becky and great progress on your SAL.

(((hugs))) Hope you find a dentist you're happy with

Michelle said...

So sorry about the dentist visit! But, lovely to come home to some pretty things!!! Your SAL piece is looking fantastic!

Patti said...

I am so sorry about your tooth but love your new stash and you so deserve it.

Lots of Love
Patti xxx

Andrys Basten said...

I feel the same way, Melissa, about going to teeth cleaning appt and now that I've found a good one I won't go unless it's her day to be there.

The whole office is great though. I found a great place nearby, even, with the help of others in the same dilemma, at "yelp!" -- which is just a review place for everything you'd want reviewed.

Nothing like other customers to get you a good idea of a service.

Try http://www.yelp.ca and just look up dentists.

When you find a place that gets raves, then ask about their gentlest hygeniest.

I now go to the dentist and wait by reading the Kindle and have zero anxiety. When they call me I suddenly remember where I am :-)

Suzanne said...

I haven't visited the dentist now for more than 15 years. The last time I went, the simple cleaning hurt so much and left me with so much pain in my mouth for the next month I haven't been tempted to go back. I should though, it sets a bad example for my children.

Great progress on your SAL.