Followers

Friday, 18 December 2009

Sarah's Garden

I'm here, I'm here, and OMG, it's one week to Christmas! Alas, my work didn't finish as quickly as I'd hoped. I only finished on Wednesday so I now I am in the one-week-to-Christmas "mild" panic. Yesterday I woke up with manic energy wanting to really make some progress with Christmas only to collapse in mid-afternoon in a coma-like nap. I was telling a friend I think I'm regressing back to a toddler!

Never mind. I have some stitching to share with you! Here goes a slow reveal.

Top left - a sweet young girl in blue

Top right - an odd figure in black - the housekeeper?

Middle left - I embellished this side a bit more than the original design.

Middle right - isn't that a little Christmas tree?

Finally - the whole shebang!
Salter Salter
by Sheepish Designs
AVAS floss on 35 ct (unknown) HDF linen

I actually finished this a week or so ago but I just didn't have the energy to post. So now I have tried AVAS silks and I don't like them as much as NPI silks. AVAS seem to frizz more easily on the ends. It's still a lovely silk - that's just my observation. I'm sure I will be stitching with AVAS many more times to come as a lot of reproduction samplers seem to use AVAS.

My current project is My Betrothed Sampler by Birds of a Feather. I don't have any photos yet as it's just been so dark. We had a spell of sunny, dry, frosty weather so I could take the above photos but I'm afraid we're back to DARK and Rainy! Lots of rainy!!!

Speaking of BOAF, I've been seeing some of their stitched OOP Christmas designs that are so cute! I'd never seen them before - Joyous Christmas, and Dashing through the snow (I think). I think I shrieked then it almost hurts to see them because you can't get them. Drats. Oh well, if that's the worst of my complaints Life is not so bad! I will put out my magical mystical antennas and send my wish for these charts to come my way...you never know, after all it's the season for wishes!

Well, I think the energizer bunny needs recharging. I will be back soon with another post before Christmas I'm sure. Thank you for visiting me and thank you especially to those who emailed me to ask how I am doing. Hope you are all well and bouncy - seven more sleeps!

21 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh how lovely! This is another sampler I want to stitch up sometime. As for BOAF, I so totally agree with you -- it's frustrating, isn't it? I love the Bethrothed Sampler. I'm glad I have that one at least, so when I see yours I won't scream. lol! Happy Christmas!

Irene said...

Lovely finish ! As much as I hate this dreary rain, it's much better than the snow we had a year ago.

Patti said...

Oh Michelle I love this. It is just gorgoeus and I'm so sad that Sheepish Designs isn't designing or selling anymore because I loved her designs. You have stitched this so beautifully.
Love
Patti xxx

valerie said...

Melissa, Sarah Salter is beautiful! Lovely finish...congrats! I hear you on the BOAF! I'm practically beside myself over Dashing...how come I didn't come across BOAF stuff before..you know...before they were all OOP!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Theresa said...

This is sooo adorable!!!!! You always pick the most interesting designs~ Love it!!!!
I hear you on those mid-afternoon naps. I really need one of that now!! But still so much to do before our move this weekend!!!!! Maybe I'll steal half an hour for a quick nap...
Have a great weekend~

Jane said...

Congrats on your Sarah Salter finish, Melissa! It looks so lovely.

I know what it's like when you see a pattern that's OOP. I usually go hunting through Google and Ebay! A bit of investigating can sometimes work.

Laurie in Iowa said...

A big Congrats on your Sarah Salter finish. She is so very lovely.
Merry Christmas.

Deb said...

This is a great finish! I agree with you on the silks - I prefer NPIs also. I've had it near the top of my to do pile for ages. Congratulations on a great finish.

Michele said...

Congratulations on Sarah Salter - it looks beautiful!

Kellie said...

Hi Melissa! So nice to see a post from you on my reader tonight. :) Glad your big work project is finished. No wonder you are tired. Give yourself a break...you deserve it. :) Congrats on your beautiful finish! Sarah Salter is gorgeous!! I feel your pain on BOAF...those same two designs you mentioned are two that I would LOVE to have, along with Dancing on the Moon. A girl can dream.... I so wish BOAF would start re-releasing some of their OOP designs like Goode Huswife did.
Hope you have a great weekend!!!

JOLENE said...

Hi Melissa, Sarah Salter is gorgeous! I just bought this pattern a couple of weeks ago to add to my stash. As far as BOAF, I have several of their patterns. I have loved their designs since they were first printed. It would be great if they republished some of their OOP designs like the Goode Huswife is doing. Merry Christmas!!!! Don't panic!

Glenna said...

Sarah has turned out so wonderfully that it makes me want to start her again (my first fabric was a mistake). I love it that you put in extra elements. Do you suppose the lady in black is granny?

I agree with you on the two ways to look at the snow--I'm trying to see it positively, but I'm worried that we'll lose the power. That would be awful. I'm antsy about not getting things done, but what can you do? So for now I've got my fingers crossed not about picking up special food or shopping for gifts or getting our furniture delivery, but staying warm in a house with lights.

Lois said...

Sarah Salter is gorgeous Melissa! Congrats on the finish! I know exactly what you mean about the BOAF designs, I have several in my stash but then there are those that I come across pictures of online and I wonder why on earth I didn't buy them when I could.

Glad you got that project out of the way in work and good to see you posting again. Have a lovely Christmas!

Brigitte said...

Sarah Salter is such a beautiful sampler. Congratulations on finishing it.

Andrea said...

Your Sarah is just beautiful, love it! Can't wait to see your progress on Betrothed, that one's in my stash and waiting!
I can relate about the holiday panic, but it'll be ok, don't stress too much! Just remember, sometimes the simplest of holidays are the best ones!
Hugs!

Ranae said...

Sarah is a beautiful sampler, love it.
It's unbelievable the prices on ebay to get BOAF, I wish the designer got some of that profit.
I am so looking for Dashing too for many years. I am going to email a link in a few minutes.

Loraine said...

This is a wonderful sampler! Thanks for sharing your photos, when you are so busy. I loved looking!

Cari said...

Melissa, Sarah is just lovely! I purchased this pattern last month and am waiting for my AVAS to arrive - this will be my first time using them and from your experience, it may be my last. Congratulations on such a beautiful finish.

I hope you have a great week and accomplish everything on your list in plenty of time for the holidays.

Merry Christmas!

Suzanne said...

A beautiful finish on Sarah Salter. I must admit that I prefer the NPS over AVAS as well.

I have seen a number of BOAF ornaments as well and I love them. I have been hunting high and low for some OOP BOAF designs with very little success.

Wishing you and your family a very mery Christmas and a safe and happy new year!

Katrina said...

Gorgeous finish! Congrats :-). She's on my short list.

I know what you mean about the BOAF designs, it's so annoying. I love Joyous Christmas.

Siobhan said...

Jiminy crickets! I am so bad. I came and gawked at your finish and then didn't post a comment. Sarah is FANTASTIC!!! Great job! I hear you on the BOAF--there are quite a few I'd love to have!