Followers

Sunday, 8 November 2009

Fear of Brick Houses

Where else but in stitching could one develop a fear of Brick Houses?
Sometimes you hit that Mt Everest in your piece of stitching, the one that seems to take forever to do! But what it taught me was patience and preseverance and led me to this...

A Weary World Rejoices
by Shakepeares Peddler

I changed the design slightly just to remove a lot of the motifs as I usually like things a bit more sparse. I added my blue birds of happiness, and a few snowflakes. I used all the recommended for fibers. I am very happy with this finish (and relieved that it's done!). This was yesterday and I decided to hop back onto the Windmill Sampler.

Last time I left you with this:

And as of now, it looks like this:
The Windmill Sampler
by Examplar from the Heart

I must say I am glad I put this aside before when I got so frustrated with it. The break was good because when I picked this up yesterday I was really enjoying it. Of course I had some time to ponder what colours I would use and put aside the GA Old Brick.

So that's my bit of stitching update!

Work-wise, we have 3 weeks left to when we implement the project. Think of it like it's 3 weeks to the Wedding date and you and your team have to have everything organized for a great wedding to take place. There are lots of organizing to do, last minute things, and of course things outside your control. I think it's like when you are in a marathon and you can finally see the finish line like a tiny beacon way up ahead! Can't relax yet! We are all pretty tired though and we try to prop each other up.

Meanwhile I'm keeping to my strategy of staying quiet and low key. One of the good things is that I've starting cooking and baking a bit on Sundays which helps with the work week. As I speak I have the slow cooker going and a pot of soup on the stove. Yum.

I probably have other things to say but I just can't remember right now! Still too many things swimming around with those little grey cells!

Thank you for stopping by and I always enjoy your comments and hearing what you've been up to! Have a great week!

28 comments:

Nancy said...

Both samplers are gorgeous! Congratulations on your finish, and you have made nice progress on the Windmill Sampler.

Cathy B said...

Hi Melissa - nice job on the SP Weary World Rejoices - someday I may have to stitch that one too. Your Windmill Sampler is coming along nicely too.

Soup -- yum!

staci said...

Weary World is really stunning! Congrats on finishing it!

I bet your house smells wonderful with all your cooking :)

Glenna said...

I love both samplers, and you beat the brick house fear! What a good idea to remove the "extra" motifs--I think I will do that the next time I find a sampler to be too crowded.

I've been cooking more too. I've got homemade soup going also, and it smells wonderful; I wonder why I don't do make soup more--since it's so easy and much better than canned.

Good luck on your work project!

Margaret said...

Beautiful finish and WIP both! Love the colors! I hope these 3 weeks of stress go by fast for you. Not fun!

Irene said...

Lovely finish and your WIP is coming along nicely.

anniebeez said...

Love them both!

valerie said...

Congratulations on your happy dance! WWR looks stunning and great progress on Windmill Sampler. Your house must smell all yummy...I love soup! Mmmmmmm

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Melissa, I love your Weary World Sampler - gorgeous! You got this stitched pretty quickly, too. YGG!!!

Your Windmill Sampler is coming right along and I expect you'll be done with that in no time as well.

I hope the next three weeks go by quickly and are relatively stress free.

Deb said...

Both your samplers are fantastic. I hope that you've gotten over your fear of houses. The worse thing about them is that they're just time consuming! Good luck with the job and hope that everything goes well. Three weeks isn't too much longer (easy for me to say, right? I remember those days well.

Dianne said...

Such beautiful pieces! I {heart} that Shakespeare's Peddler chart...and I really hope to add it to my growing stash one day!

Theresa said...

Love your new finish!!!! It is gorgeous and definitely worth the extra effort!! Your Windmill Sampler is coming along very nicely, too~~
Good luck with your work!!!!!

Evik said...

Both samplers are amazing! Congratulations on finish. I like very much your change :)
I would also like to stitch a similar sampler ... it is my great wish ;)

Siobhan said...

Woo! It looks great, Melissa! I thought, "Oh look, she said it was stitched by me instead of her initials", and then realized, der, those ARE your initials! LOL I've only had one cup of coffee so far, can you tell?! ;) I really like it with some of the motifs omitted. Your Windmill sampler is looking nice, too--coming along well!

I'm glad that you aren't too too stressed out by work... keep the head down, and stitch to destress. Hang in there!

Jane said...

Oh Melissa, I'm so thrilled you've got Weary World finished! Looks terrific and it's wonderful that you're so pleased with it.

Three weeks will go fast, and then you'll be able to relax and take it easy for a while. Just have to keep sane until then! :)

mainely stitching said...

Oh my gosh, that house came out great Melissa! And I'm totally in love with your new/current project as well. :D Good luck with the work stuff!!

Katrina said...

Very sweet! Love your changes on SP WWR :-). The windmill piece is pretty too.

Lois said...

Congrats on a gorgeous finish Melissa! Well done on getting through your brick house fear! Enjoyed seeing your progress on Windmill Sampler. Hope things go without a hitch these next three weeks. Remember what a great de-stresser stitching is.

Kajsa said...

Gorgeous samplers! Your cooking sounds yummy!

Deborah/LavenderRose said...

Dear nearly frantic, Melissa! Just quiet your soul with the knowledge that your samplers are to die for. Your stitching is impeccable. I love them. What a finish! We just want you to know...we are rootin' for you! :]

Mel said...

A wonderful finish! Those bricks do look like they would be daunting!
And great progress on your other piece.

Margaret said...

Well done Melissa, both samplers are beautiful.

Wendy said...

Wonderful finish, Melissa! I like the changes you have made to make it more your own. I've had my slow cooker working over-time these days!

Snip said...

Your projects are looking lovely! Good for you for changing the designs to suit your own taste. I've been mulling over doing that as well. Hope all is well.

The Scarlett House said...

Silly girl, don't be afraid of a brick house. It turned out very nice. How will you frame her? I haven't seen the Windmill before, I like it, too.

Brigitte said...

Your finish is gorgeous.Love the two little blue birdies. And the brick house looks fantastic. I love samplers and other pieces with houses, they are - besides birds - my favourite motif but as you say you always need patience to get them stitched, lol.

Vilma aka Examplar Dame said...

Hi Mellisa

So sorry you have had problems with
the color Old Brick,I designed that
sampler years ago and unfortunately
hand-dyed threads are not consistent always in their colors and have changed thru the years.

Thank you for not giving up on finishing that design :) :)

Warm regards, Vilma

Suzanne said...

Weary World looks great, congratulations on your finish! The Windmill sampler is looking great.

I love making soup, it's a shame that the kids won't eat it though.