Followers

Monday, 12 October 2009

Things to be Thankful for:

One - See the dance of the wild happy turkeys - My Quaker House is finished!
My Quaker House by Blackbird Designs
from book With My Needle

Small changes - I changed the red bird to a blue one, being I like the idea of "the bluebird of happiness". I used WDW Dolphin, a lovely grayish-blue. I also changed the red door to a gray one and added a little red design on the front of the house. I've seen houses where they have a design tiled above the front door so this was just my nod to that little design feature for MY Quaker House! I really enjoyed stitching this one, but that's usually the case with Blackbird Designs!

From my last post asking for tips on better photos - both Irma and Jane recommended (1) take photos in daylight if possible (2) use macro setting and (3) use a photo-editing software. I had a very quick try with Picasa. What do you think? I only spent 5 minutes with it. It will take sometime for me to play with it and learn how to use it but I like the idea of being able to "brighten" the photo. Thanks for the tips, Irma and Jane!

While stitching this, I listened to The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss. What an absorbing story and it sure made me want to keep listening and stitching! Thanks for the recommendation, Siobhan!

Two - miracles:

There are many everyday things I'm grateful for so I won't bore you with that. I will tell you of a spine tingling experience we had two weeks ago Saturday. It was a beautiful sunny day but unusually windy. We were out and about doing our usual Saturday errands. For local folks, we were driving east on SE Marine Drive, heading close to Boundary Road. This is a 6 line semi-highway (3 lanes each way) lined with stands of tall skinny trees, maybe cottonwood?

As we were driving along, I was admiring the lovely weather then noticed a sprinkle of leaves coming down in front of us, followed by what I saw was a branch falling over the driver's side window. As I pointed this to DH, he looked and instantly looked in the rear view mirror. Thank God he didn't stop driving. He said 'Look behind us!' As I turned around in my seat I can see that a tree had fallen across the road and three lanes of cars were stranded behind us! (This all happened in seconds.)

Yes, we passed under a falling tree! It was a miracle it did not hit us or anyone else. Thank you God!

So, what did DH do (is this typical male)? He said 'hey, we should turn around and see how big that tree really was! I said 'Are you nuts? Are you trying to thumb your nose at fate and try for it the second time?' After all, there are tall trees on the OTHER side of the road too!

We did not turn back. We just thanked our lucky stars!

Now, look this photo.

Yesterday afternoon when my husband looked out from our bedroom window, he could see the sunlight reflecting off our room and onto the garage. Can you see the heart in the photo? I could see it instantly. Awww, isn't that lovely? Of course it was one of those fleeting moments and I was so glad he caught it with our camera.

Three - the long weekend was wonderful.

It's almost over now but it sure was a lovely break. Thank you too for your well wishes. I just love'em! You are such nice people!

All good things must come to a close, so now it's back to the busy-ness of the office tomorrow. But first, I still have tonight to enjoy and I will have to figure out what my next project will be. Oh, I had such a lovely visit with my local stitchy friend this morning too so I'm all filled with starry stitching goodness!

Have I shocked anyone besides myself with 2 days of consecutive posts? And you can notice the difference in tone between yesterday's and today's. One more day of rest on the weekend sure helps! Now it's back to burrowing in my hobbit hole!

I hope you are enjoying Fall (or Spring) in your part of the world. Look for those miracles...

22 comments:

Jan said...

Melissa, love the Quaker House finish and I really enjoyed reading and SEEING your miracles! That heart on the house, is amazing!!

Daffycat said...

Quaker House is so beautiful! And I love the sweet bluebird!

Wow, that tree must have been scary! A miracle indeed!

Margaret said...

Beautiful finish! I love your little changes. That was certainly a blessing and a miracle that you escaped that tree! Whew! And the heart shape -- that is just wonderful! Your husband must be a romantic. :D I hope your work week turns out to be fairly nonstressful!

Irene said...

Quaker House is lovely ! That's scary about the tree, lucky no one was hit. Nice you were able to get a picture of the heart,are you going to get a print and frame it.

Rowyn said...

Lovely finish. Woah, that was lucky about the tree. Glad you and your DH are fine. Love the heart on the garage :-)

JOLENE said...

What a sweet"heart" of a picture! That is so beautiful and I love your BBD finish. There is such a variety of colors in this one which makes it so pretty.
You and your hubby were soooo lucky, I hope no one was hurt in the vehicles that were trapped behind the tree.

valerie said...

How amazing that the sun left a lovely heart sunspot. So cool that your DH caught it on camera. So glad you escaped the wrath of that tree. How scary!
Love your Quaker House finish! I am happy dancing over here with you. Great personal touches too. Hang in there this week...Hope it's a little less stressful. :)

Annemarie said...

Thanks, Melissa, for this lovely, uplifting, beautiful post. Ooh, you were lucky to escape that falling tree!!

Thanks also (but this time, try to read this with a dollop of sarcasm) for showing us your finished BBD Quaker House. *Naturally* I have to have it and stitch it NOW. It's gorgeous, woman.

Barb said...

I love the Quaker House! We had a similar experience with a tree falling this year. That's so amazing that you actually drove under it while it was falling!

My photos aren't the best but I learned how to use the manual setting on my Canon Powershot. I use this setting along with the macro setting and I'm able to adjust quite a few things. Look to see if your camera has this capability. Do be sure to use the macro setting even if your camera doesn't have a manual option.

I use Photoshop Elements also. It used to slow up my computer until I cleaned up the hard drive. Now it works fine. When you post your pics you might want to use the large picture setting on Blogger so the photo shows up larger on your blog. When I bigify your photo of Quaker House, it looks great!

Oh, and I noticed right away the 2 posts in 2 days!

Cari said...

Oh Melissa - your pictures turned out very well - you are a quick study :-) And the heart - what a wonder and how great that you captured it on camera.

What an amazing story and a miracle - God is good!

This BBD is such a sweet little piece and I just love how you personalized it - great changes.

I hope you have a great week and I look forward to seeing your next project.

Nancy said...

Your sampler is so pretty! Congratulations on your finish. I love the heart shadow!

Andrea said...

A beautiful finish. Love the heart shape. A lucky escape too.

mainely stitching said...

Y'know, I can hear my husband making exactly the same comment if we were ever in such a situation. Must be something particular (or peculiar!) to the gender! LOL. Very glad you were unhurt, as were the folks behind you.

How on earth did you finish that sampler so fast? I love it! And the bluebird of happiness is a great personalization!

Nicole said...

Beautiful finish Melissa! I can't believe a tree just missed hitting you and your husband. That must have been so scary! Love the sun heart - so sweet. Did you ever see my heart cloud picture?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46195323@N00/407322484/

Too funny, we both found hearts in nature. :)

Kellie said...

Melissa,
Congratulations on your Quaker House finish. It is absolutely lovely. I always admire the subtle changes that you make on designs. You have a good eye. :)

So thankful that you and your husband were not hit/hurt by that falling tree. How scary! Definitely a miracle!

Thanks for the book recommendation. I have a credit burning a hole in my pocket at Audible. I think I will check this out and see if it is something I think I would like.

That heart is so neat! I could see immediately what you were talking about. Love little coincidences like that.

So glad you enjoyed your long weekend. I hope that going back to work is not too terribly difficult. I am counting down the days until my next long weekend. (13 work days to be exact!) LOL!

Can't wait to see what you decide to work on or start next.
Have a great week!

Jane said...

What a lucky escape from that tree! Glad you and your dh are ok.

Timing is everything - in your escape while driving, and also that sun shaped heart. How fantastic!

Half the fun is playing around with your photos. You're doing well, Melissa.

Karoline said...

Quaker House is lovely, congratulations.

You had a lucky escape with the tree

Siobhan said...

Woohoo Melissa! Congrats on the finish. I love the little extra touches that you did to make the design your own, too.

I loved the pic of the heart--isn't that neat? And WOW. What a lucky escape from the falling tree. You need to play the lottery.

The pics look great! I have had much success with www.picnik.com, it's a division (I think) of Flickr or they're some how related. I edit my pics there and then I upload to Flickr and paste the URL into blogger from Flickr. It makes the pics a bit bigger. I still have a long ways to go but I learned those tips from friends & thought I'd pass 'em on.

I'm glad you're enjoying Whiskey Rebels. I'll e-mail you soon!

kimstitch3 said...

I love your new quaker finish. I'm a lover of quakers.congrats on such a beautiful finish.Kimberly

Robin said...

The quaker house is lovely. I've just added that design to my 'wishlist'
robinpich.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Love the stiching, love the story of the tree and especially love that photo. How lucky was that?

Cindy F. said...

OH WOW!! I'm terribly behind on reading blogs, but I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on this GORGEOUS finish!! Happy Dancing with you!