Saturday, September 5, 2009

September - Shortbread Pie Recipe

I'm so thankful for this long (Labour Day) weekend. The return to work week was stressful although I knew it would be because I knew I would be covering for 2 others on vacation. On top of that traffic was a nightmare going home, hitting a peak mid-week with both bridges having accidents and basically at stand-still for hours. It was a test of 'grace under pressure'! Whining aside, I survived!

I realized that last Sunday I was remiss in showing you a lovely Shortbread Pie, but no recipe! Thanks Jan for asking for its whereabouts!

This recipe is over 25 years ago, coming out around the time when food processors became popular. I think it's from a Gourmet magazine but I'm not sure. I will show you what the recipe says first, then I'll walk you through the instructions, MY way!


Shortbread Apple Pie

CRUST
2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 egg yolks, beaten

FILLING
1 1/4 lb apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1/4 c firmly packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Now comes the fun part, the instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Get out an 8" springform pan and put that on top of a baking sheet (to catch any oozing fruit juices). I sometimes use a larger springform pan which means you get a thinner crust and you'll have to adjust the baking times accordinly. And it would be good to make sure your oven rack is about the middle of the oven, and not the lowest position.

2. Put the flour, sugar, salt in a food processor and whirl to mix. Scatter butter pieces all over and pulse a few times about the mixture is crumbly. With the food processor running, drizzle the egg yolks over the surface and mix just until crumbs form. Do not form into a bill. Here's my bit - if you don't want to use a food processor, you can just as well put everything in a big bowl and use the old fashion pastry cutter and cut the butter into the flour. Pretty basic technique. And over the years, sometimes I couldn't be bothered with just using 2 egg yolks, saving the egg whites which I might end up throwing away anyway, so I have used 1 whole egg. Maybe it's not as rich this way but I've done it!

3. Put aside 1/4 of the mixture and save for topping. Pat the remaining 3/4 over the bottom of the springform pan. Here's my bit - you want to gently pat the mixture so it's more solid. You don't have to put a lot of pressure on it. The 'pastry' will do its thing in the oven and it will solidify into a nice soft cookie bottom.

4. For the filling, mix all the ingredients listed above and pile on top of the cookie base. Then cover the fruit with the 1/4 mixture you had saved for the topping. Here's my bit - try different fruits according to season. I've tried plums, berries, strawberry/rhubarb, apple/strawberries, apple/blueberries - you get the idea. You might want to adjust the baking time and/or amount of fruit if you are using all soft fruits like berries, for instance.

5. Put the pie in for 15 minutes to bake at 400 F. Then turn down the oven to 350 F and bake another 20 minutes or so. Cool 30 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream!

This is a very easy and forgiving dessert. While I was off work, we had visitors from out of town who phoned and said they were popping round for a quick visit in the afternoon. I whipped this baby up and they were duly impressed!

I have picked up loads of beautiful framed pieces today. Hooray! I am so happy with them. Now I will have to wait for more light tomorrow and start taking photos to show you next time. I've been offline most of the week, so lots of catching up to do!

Thank you for all your lovely complements on Sampler Sisters. I just dropped her off for framing today so hopefully she'll be here for next weekend. "See" you soon!

10 comments:

Glenna said...

Oh, yummy! When I get back home next week, I'm going to try that! Looking forward to seeing the framed pieces!

Tanya said...

Looks fantastic!!! Thanks for posting the recipe :)

Tanya

Margaret said...

Bummer on your work week -- but it's over! :D Thanks for the recipe -- I'm going to copy it down for my hubby the baker to try. Can't wait to see your framed pieces!!

Tammy said...

That looks great! And I can't wait to see your framing--love that.

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

So glad you're enjoying the holiday. Please hurry and post pics of your framing - I can't wait to see it.

Siobhan said...

Yum yum yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try this one!

Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest

Cari said...

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe - it sounds delicious!

Suzanne said...

Ooooh yum, yum! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Jane said...

Enjoy your long weekend, Melissa. Don't get enough of them, I say! I have to wait until early November for the next one. :( I feel your pain, having to go back to work after time off. It's so HARD!!! Hope your work load isn't too full, having to cover for two others. Keep smiling :)))