Followers

Sunday, 30 August 2009

The End

It's the end of:
  • my one week off - a little *boo hoo-ing* going on here but I have to say it was a great time off to recharge. I got a lot of stuff done, some mundane, some fun and lotsa sleep!
  • summer/August! It's definitely feeling fall-ish but we are lucky to still have mostly sunny weather though cooler in the early mornings and at nights.
  • my current stitching project! A Happy Dance.
Here is Sampler Sisters, physically the largest piece I've ever stitched though an easy stitch.

Sampler Sisters of the Thread
by Primitive Needle
on 35 ct HDF linen (pale grey)

You can double click on the photo for a better look. I did change the design in 2 spots. The first one was by accident. The second set of alphabets - well, I goofed on my starting point and when I realized this the next day I'd already stitched 3/4 of that row so I just decided to improvise instead of frog. The second change is that I shortened the bottom of the design. You'll see what I mean if you compare it with the original, which you can see a couple of posts back.

I love this angel...
and the girl and horse.

This was a really fun stitch! I'm really looking forward to Lisa's new designs coming next month!

I also finished stitching something for an exchange which I'm really happy about. I still have to finish it and fingers crossed, I'm trying to do something other than a pinkeep, so hopefully it will come out alright. No photos of it for awhile.

Some of you asked me what I do with the plums I pick besides (1) eating them as-is and (2) giving them away. Well, I freeze some for baking. What do I make you ask? Here's a sample -

Shortbread Pie
original recipe used apples but I substitute just about any fruit in season

It's my last day of 'freedom' and of course have tons to do. One of the things I want to do is to organize next projects so we'll see what I come up with next!

I will leave you with some late summer roses (second round of blooms) from my garden.
Thank you for stopping by! Have a good week! September, here we come!

28 comments:

Tammy said...

Of course your stitching looks fabulous! And the roses are just gorgeous-I can almost smell them from here and feel their soft petals...beautiful!

Margaret said...

Oh Melissa! What a lovely post! Not only do we get to see your wonderful finish, but we also get to see some of your yummy baking, and we get to see those absolutely gorgeous roses! Oh I love those roses! Thanks for the great eye candy. :D And congrats on the finish -- I love it! Hope your last day off is enjoyable!

Cindy said...

Awesome finish! That pie looks incredible, and your roses are beautiful :)

doris said...

Fabulous finish! I really like that sampler.

Boy, do I need a slice of that shortbread pie.

Barb said...

Vacations are never long enough :(

You are a speedy stitcher! Great finish!

I am thinking of transforming the neglected herb garden into a rose garden. The lavender never seems to do very well. Where have you gotten your roses? I want disease resistant plants.

Yum...pie looks great! Never had a plum pie before.

Jennifer said...

Those roses are absolutely beautiful!
Your stitching looks great beautiful too!
I'm so glad Fall is coming soon! Those baked pies are wonderful any time of year but especially on cool days with coffee!

Jennifer

http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com/

anna s. said...

Okay... the finish is lovely... the pie made me salivate... 2 weeks more and I'll buy prunes in Poland!! I so miss them here LOL! BUT your roses, Melissa.... I'll send you the bill for next year's visit to the gardening center. You've definitely inspired me enough this summer!!! I ADORE the photo you took of them.

Andrea said...

Your Sampler Sisters is gorgeous! I really love that design and your stitching does it justice!
The pie looks scrummy and the roses are drop dead gorgeous! I can't grow anything here, so color me green with envy that you grew those yourself :-)

Leah said...

Wonderful finish, Melissa. Those roses are so awesome, love them!

Suzanne said...

This is a gorgeous finish! That's a yummy looking pie, I always substitute different fruits in pies and other desserts to suit whatever is in season. You can't beat in sesaon, fresh and naturally ripe fruit!

mainely stitching said...

Oh I love it! Congratulations!

Jane said...

Great finish, Melissa! Much more impressive than my little bee. :) So sad that you're having to go back to work. I know the feeling - what a downer. :( Have a good week anyway!

Jan said...

Fabulous stitching and congrats on the finish!! Those roses are gorgeous, truly and that pie looks yummy! Where is the recipe?

Glenna said...

Mmmm--I'll be over for pie (after, of course, stopping for some nice oysters somewhere)! I love how the sampler turned out, and agree with you re the lady on the horse and the angel.

Love to Stitch said...

Congrats on your finish! This is a great piece. Whats next?!

CindyMae said...

Your stitching looks great and so does the food, yummy!!! Sorry your vacation is over though!!

Cari said...

Congratulations on your finish - wonderful!

I bet your home smells wonderful between your baking and the beautiful flowers.

Enjoy your week.

Cathy B said...

Congrats on your finish -- it's quite lovely!

And the pie - yum, it looks delicious!

Lana said...

Great finish!!! Sad that your vacation is over though. =(

Karoline said...

Sisters is gorgeous, congratulations

Siobhan said...

WOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!! Congratulations on a fabulous finish! YGG. I love it. Now if I could just sit with a slice of that pie and look at the pictures, it'd be even better. ;) I can't wait to hear about what you're going to work on next.

Love the flowers. I am so envious of your green thumb.

Kellie said...

Sampler Sisters looks fabulous!! :) Sorry your week off is over. Hopefully going back wasn't too dreadful. That pie looks delicious! Hope you are having a good week.

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

What a fabulous finish, Melissa! I love how you changed the bottom - it looks fabulous! MMMMmmmmm the pie looks delcious and your roses are beautiful.

Hope your week back is going well.

The Scarlett House said...

Your posts are always so enjoyable. Love the sampler sister piece.

Deb said...

Melissa - I love, love your finish and especially how you finished off the bottom of the piece. It looks fantastic!

That pie looks wonderful too! And the roses are beautiful. Congratulations on your great finish!

Snip said...

Lovely finish, Melissa! These days it's all about work for me, so I haven't gotten much stitching done. Hope you are well.

Katrina said...

Congrats on the finish! It's gorgeous and thanks for the pie recipe. Looks yummy.

valerie said...

Yay!! I've made it to W in my Reader! Congrats on the Samplar Sisters finish...yay! Guess we were both productive with our week vacations, weren't we?! Oh, those italian plums look so yummy...for some reason...I haven't seen very many around but had a couple while on vacation and they were delish! Beautiful roses...they simply amaze me.

I don't know about you but I'm ready for another vacation! lol :)