Followers

Thursday, 20 August 2009

August Rush

It's the end of a crazy August, almost. I'm off the next week taking a well deserved break (read - exhausted from work). Work should be made illegal during the month of August, don't you think? (Oh you know I'm just kidding...)

This post was meant for last Sunday and it's only 4 days late!

Stitching progress

Sampler Sisters of the Thread
by Primitive Needle
Slowly getting there!

I love books!


(1) The Glass of Time by Michael Cox. I got the audio version from the library and was immediately mesmerized by the reader's voice belonging to Josephine Bailey. She is incredible. I kept wondering if there were actually more people reading the story because she could project so many different characters with her voice. Then I went onto Amazon and found that this is a sequel to...

(2) The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox. I have this book on my bookshelf. It's about 600 pages and I had stopped at 100 quite awhile ago. Anyway, I had to read it and I did it the same time as I was listening to The Glass of Time. So, I was totally immersed in Victorian England and these 2 glorious books. I love them. It's one story line with a mystery, lots of details and complexities in the plots, great characterizations...yum! I can't say enough but you get the picture! I am looking forward to Book #3 and the last of the trilogy.

(3) The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This was one of those 7 day Rapid Read loans from the library last weekend. I opened it on Saturday evening and finished at Sunday bedtime! I couldn't put it down. Like its predecessor The Shadow of the Wind, this book is based in Barcelona and one underlying theme is books - specifically The Cemetary of Forgotten Books. I love that idea and it gives you a glimpse as to the atmosphere of the stories - Gothic. I so enjoyed reading The Angel's Game, and now will have to re-read The Shadow of the Wind! I just found out the author has planned 4 books all centered around The Cemetary of Forgotten Books, but each stands as a story onto its own. It's so nice to think there's more to come!

I must apologize that I am not doing justice to these wonderful books by my words. I'm too tired to do a good job. I'd just wanted to tell you about them so you might want to check them out. Now that I've been spoiled with three good books in a row, everything else I've picked up since pale by comparison.

Oh, and people asked me what I thought of The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. Here it is - I was very disappointed. Need I say more?

Bountiful August

It's raining plums!
Yummy Italian plums!

So, that's my belated post. I had thought about dropping out for awhile but I think if I made a break from posting, I might never get back here! Maybe I will post more while I'm off, but first I have to recharge my batteries!

Hope you are doing well, and that it's raining, if not plums, then good fortunes! Thank you for stopping by and I enjoy finding your comments waiting for me when I come home from work. They put a smile on this tired face! :-) Byeee.

23 comments:

valerie said...

Great progress on the Sisters! It looks great! Yummy plums...those italian ones are the best! Enjoy your time off...I can't wait for my vacation week after next. It can't come fast enough! :)

Siobhan said...

Fabulous progress on Sisters! I can't wait to get started on mine. Did you read Lisa's description of the new stuff coming out at Market?? Geez louise, I am done for! ;)

Thanks for the info on the Michael Cox books. I looked at them but they were down on the list. I'll bump them up a few notches now. ;) I am so glad that you enjoyed The Angel's Game as much as I am. The listening is going much slower than reading but it is such a good, atmospheric book that I am enjoying it. I need to reread Shadow of the Wind, too. I am excited to hear that they're the first two of four books. Woohoo!! The Cemetary of Forgotten Books--can you imagine such a place? And the way it was described in The Angel's Game... oh, to get lost there. Wow.

I'm sorry to hear that you also didn't enjoy The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, either. :P I really wanted to love it but it did nothing for me.

Love the pic of the plums!

Siobhan said...

... I meant to say that Lisa described her new releases on her blog. Sorry for being vague!

Jane said...

I'm loving this current WIP of yours, Melissa. Looking great!

I'll try to contact you over the weekend. :)

Margaret said...

Love your Sampler Sisters progress! I have the Michael Cox books ready to go. Now I have to get those Zafon books too. No doubt about it! :D Enjoy your week off! (Those plums look wonderful!)

Jan said...

Melissa, wow those plums!!!! And you are making great progress on the sisters!

They sound like really interesting reads, thanks for the reviews.

Do hope you get some extra breathing time in August and enjoy your week off!

CindyMae said...

Your progress is looking fantastic! Gorgeous work. I hope that you enjoy your much needed and deserved vacation!!!

Andrea said...

Oh I love your Sampler Sisters, it's gorgeous! You're making great progress!!
All of those plums, wow! Do you make stuff with them?

Ranae said...

Reading here is slow, but I really need a good book, so I will check these out.
Thanks for sharing
Sisters is looking great.

~ Stitchin Sweet Sue ~ said...

Your Sisters is so beautiful~love the drabby greens. As for your plums, you're a lucky lucky girl:) Enjoy your vacation.

Sweet Stitchin...

Karoline said...

Great progress on the Sisters, it's looking gorgeous

Your plums look gorgeous

Terri M said...

Sisters is beautiful.

I loved The Meaning of Night and Glass of Time, too. I'm wondering if Michael Cox was able to complete the trilogy. He died in April, unfortunately. I haven't been able to find any news about a third book scheduled to be published.

Good luck with Sisters. :)

Tanya said...

I just love Lisa new release. Plan to stitch it myself soon. I loved seeing your progress. And those Plums - yum!

Kellie said...

You are moving right along on Sampler Sisters! Looks great! I will have to make note of your book reviews and try a couple of those for myself. I am caught up in re-reading/listening to the Outlander series in anticipation of Diana Gabaldon's next installment in September. This is my most favorite series of books. Enjoy your time off. :) And have a great weekend!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Sisters is looking great, Melissa! I've got to start on that sometime, soon! I've added your book recomendations to my list of books to read, thanks!

I know I need to send you a chart.... I just saw it today in my craft room - first time I've been in there in about three weeks. I haven't forgotten and will get it out this week, okay?

Cathy B said...

Oh how I wish we lived near one another. My mother makes the most delicious dumplings using the italian plums (pitted) in the middle - we call them "Zwetschen Knoedl" or "plum dumplings." They are rolled in a bread crumb/sugar mixture -- yum!

caerbannog said...

Sampler sisters is so pretty. And I really enjoy reading your book reviews. I love historical novels and the Michael Cox books sound really interesting.

anna s. said...

Oh lucky you with the plums, I LOVE plums!! We just had a long discussion about those with H last week - turns out that what they call plommer in Norwegian are all sorts of plums, while we call plums only the oblong ones - and we LOVE jam made out of it (actually called "powidla" and not jam) - while here in Norway you don't find this jam at all!! So it turned out that everytime I wanted H to try and/or buy plum jum, he was thinking about smthg totally different! Now I need to make him try Polish homemade plum "powidla". Not sure he'll like that though since he doesnt like dried plums.
How I envy your liking to listen to books!! I used to read a lot since I was a very yound kid, but somehow I just can't seem to be able to concentrate on the words when listining to audiobooks. Too bad, that would be great during travels.
Nice stitching work too!!

mainely stitching said...

Oh, those plums look so tasty! And your stitching is just gorgeous! Love it all. Hey, enjoy the upcoming free time. I'm totally with you on work-free Augusts! ;)

my gloriana said...

The sisters look lovely!

And for all of the raining it did here this summer, I wish at least some of it were plums! :)

Deb said...

Sisters is looking wonderful, Melissa! You're making great progress on this. And thanks so much for the book recommendations - I love reading so I may have to stop by and pick these up. I did see Angel's Game the other day at the bookstore and wasn't sure as to whether to get it or not. I'll follow your recommendation and pick it up.

And those plums, what do you do with all of them? I bet they taste absolutely delicious!!

BeckySC said...

I just love your WIP, it's looking wonderful!!
Have a lovely week!!
((sending hugs))

dany said...

Très joli ce sampler !
Bisous Melissa et belle journée
http://dany88.canalblog.com/